PDA

View Full Version : What it's really like to Virgin Media XL and STM/capping

The Jackal
16-04-2008, 14:47
As a test I've been downloading general data from a Tier 2 host over the past 18 hours utilising the Virgin connection as much as possible to highlight periods under STM.

The graphs are as attached. (Unfortunately I had a power outage at 8am such that the second graph is not complete)

Key events.

[1] At just past 6pm yesterday I fell under the STM cap with downloads dropping to 4.5mbps-5mbps. This lasted until just after 11pm (ie 5 hours under STM)

[2] After 11pm the caps were released and my download speed rapidly moved to 16mbps (the maximum due to the limits of my DOCSIS 1 cable modem). Maximum throughput was maintained until just before 11am when I was again thrown back into STM territory.

I suspect that you are under STM for 5 hours after any given bandwidth infrigement during the policing hours 10am to 9pm. So it looks like I'll be stuck on 5mbs for most of day with the occasional spike to full speeds.

On the plus side speed under non STM periods was very favourable fluctauting between 13-16mbps (Ignore the 10mbps plateau as that was downloading from a different host)

AbyssUnderground
16-04-2008, 15:23
In Teesside on 4Mbps the "proper" STM limits still apply, eg 4pm to 9pm, also confirmed by my own graphs. No other STMing has been going on for me. I've already done about 120gb in the last month or so as well.

boroboi
16-04-2008, 17:49
Glad to hear :) i havent encountered any "inproper" STM so far in teesside myself.

xspeedyx
17-04-2008, 14:22
My gf lives in Midlands and she got stm'd at 2.30pm

Impz2002
17-04-2008, 14:37
it seems some area's are being used for these STM trials. Fortunately i have so far not been STM'ed for weeks but then again i throttle my torrents during the STM window to prevent triggering the pesky system.

For anyone in the know is the capping managed by the CMTS or is it deeper into the network ?? i certainly don't imagine this being done at UBR level.

Impz

xspeedyx
17-04-2008, 15:48
From what I have heard it is done at UBR level

Messiah
17-04-2008, 16:32
Certainly can vouch for the Teesside area...

...And also that my NewsGroups transfer rates have gone back to normal. :hyper:

AbyssUnderground
17-04-2008, 23:26
Clearly shows the last 30 days of bandwidth and it being STM'ed down to 1Mbps. Useful these graphs are... :D

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=16170&stc=1&d=1208467572

zerovox
17-04-2008, 23:49
I think I've only been SMT'd during the 'proper' times.

I'm on the 2meg or whatever it is these days, and its terrible.

I am linux user and I love to try out new distros when they come out, but at 700mb download I can't do it too often, the same with downloading games demos on XBL or for MMORPGS.

I've resorted to scheduling downloads for the ealry hours of the morning!

What program do you use to make the graphs?

AbyssUnderground
18-04-2008, 09:44
I think I've only been SMT'd during the 'proper' times.

I'm on the 2meg or whatever it is these days, and its terrible.

I am linux user and I love to try out new distros when they come out, but at 700mb download I can't do it too often, the same with downloading games demos on XBL or for MMORPGS.

I've resorted to scheduling downloads for the ealry hours of the morning!

What program do you use to make the graphs?

Its called PRTG. Google "PRTG" and its the first result. I "acquired" the full version but their site offers a 30 day trial. You'll need to have SNMP enabled on your router and a PC on 24/7 to make the graphs (otherwise you'll only get graphs from the time the PC is on).

The Jackal
18-04-2008, 10:23
Depends which machine is generating the traffic.

Most open source routers produce these graphs... openwrt,dd-wrt,tomatoe etc etc

Personally I use SNMP and mrtg to gather the data from various devices

AbyssUnderground
18-04-2008, 12:15
Depends which machine is generating the traffic.

Most open source routers produce these graphs... openwrt,dd-wrt,tomatoe etc etc

Personally I use SNMP and mrtg to gather the data from various devices

As a rule you should try and put it on the router, then you get all the traffic rather than a single machines traffic.

MRTG is good if you know how to install Perl etc and have it run every so often. I tried it, and it broke twice, now I can't be bothered with it. It now shows my connection running at 70Mbps up and 30Mbps down continually. It seems to run a fortnight then break. Weird.

PRTG is easy though since it has a nice GUI to do everything.

The Jackal
18-04-2008, 12:29
As a rule you should try and put it on the router, then you get all the traffic rather than a single machines traffic.

MRTG is good if you know how to install Perl etc and have it run every so often. I tried it, and it broke twice, now I can't be bothered with it. It now shows my connection running at 70Mbps up and 30Mbps down continually. It seems to run a fortnight then break. Weird.

PRTG is easy though since it has a nice GUI to do everything.

Sorry to hear of your woes.

What about cacti ever tried that ?

ps I love MRTG as you can plug anything into it. Temperature monitors or any other metric that can be measured by a computer

AbyssUnderground
18-04-2008, 18:06
Sorry to hear of your woes.

What about cacti ever tried that ?

ps I love MRTG as you can plug anything into it. Temperature monitors or any other metric that can be measured by a computer

Not even heard of cacti before, might have a look at that one. Yes, MRTG is good in that sense. PRTG can also do the same as MRTG but with more options to change the way it looks. MRTG's graphs all look the same, but I like them better than PRTG's. Shame I can't mimic them or all would be good.