PDA

View Full Version : How do they change the broadband speed?

TomCov
16-04-2008, 12:35
Hi

What physically takes place to alter the broadband speed?

If you are on one speed and then upgrade or downgrade or even cancel what actually takes place?

If you cancel broadband do they take away the old modem?

Thanks

TomCov

Richy99
16-04-2008, 12:42
they send a file to the modem which dictates what level of service and speed you get

no they dont take away the modem

whydoIneedatech
16-04-2008, 13:13
Hi

What physically takes place to alter the broadband speed?

If you are on one speed and then upgrade or downgrade or even cancel what actually takes place?

Thanks

TomCov

They send whats called a hit which gives your modem its updated Docsis file and provisions the account with the correct settings.

They pick up modems very rarely if ever, depends on age and model.

mrsnooch
16-04-2008, 15:40
Why does it take so long to update then... I suppose it would have a detrimental effect on their network though

whydoIneedatech
16-04-2008, 15:45
Why does it take so long to update then... I suppose it would have a detrimental effect on their network though

All updates should happen within 24 hours if not sooner, you must always reboot your modem to receive your upgrade, by unplugging it from the mains for a few seconds.

pha
16-04-2008, 16:18

the capability is there, they just decided for a long time that they would keep their costs down (network maintenance) by keeping in-line with the other competitors, but that's changing now we live in a OD & Youtube world.

bet you the 1870's copper-wire technology customers wish they could say the same :)

mrsnooch
16-04-2008, 16:32
All updates should happen within 24 hours if not sooner, you must always reboot your modem to receive your upgrade, by unplugging it from the mains for a few seconds.

No no, what I mean is, in relation to the UK, why does it take a period of months to complete? Surely you could send a city's worth of updates over night? I duno, maybe im just talking through my hat!

Richy99
16-04-2008, 16:35
are you on about updating the cable modem software for giving a different speed/service or the ubr to relieve congestion etc?

PeteTheMusicGuy
16-04-2008, 16:37
Ah you mean for example the 4-10 meg upgrade and why they can do it all at once

Druchii
16-04-2008, 17:03
No no, what I mean is, in relation to the UK, why does it take a period of months to complete? Surely you could send a city's worth of updates over night? I duno, maybe im just talking through my hat!
Because if you had the system dealing with 3million connections at say 4Mb, and then overnight it suddenly became 3million connections at 10Mb (due to the update), how would the network cope with 2.5x more traffic? It wouldn't, and any faulty hardware would fall over, leaving the network in (yet more) disrepair. :) Hope that helps.

mrsnooch
16-04-2008, 18:08
oh i see, so theyre upgrading their set up as they upgrade ours in other words

Druchii
16-04-2008, 18:10
oh i see, so theyre upgrading their set up as they upgrade ours in other words
Yep, that's exactly it :)

whydoIneedatech
16-04-2008, 23:20

As the previous poster states if they tried to switch on overnight the 10 Mb upgradewithout first upgrading the infrastructure where required then possibly the Network could fall over.

Kymmy
17-04-2008, 09:29

I've just got my final bill from VM after I changed across to NTL Business and on the bottom of the bill it says

If equipment is not returned a charge will be added to your account.

Thank you if you have already returned your equipment, any charge will be refunded to your account

Though there is no envolope,pre-paid sticker or even a method/address for returning said equipment....

Kymmy

whydoIneedatech
17-04-2008, 11:10
I've just got my final bill from VM after I changed across to NTL Business and on the bottom of the bill it says

Though there is no envolope,pre-paid sticker or even a method/address for returning said equipment....

Kymmy

ring 150 and ask about it.

xspeedyx
17-04-2008, 12:42
modems are not collected and some STB's arent its a standard letter just check with 150 to check if your stb needs to be collected

Impz2002
17-04-2008, 13:39
its amazing how VM cant see that this total lack of any equipment return procedure is adding to their cloning / hacked TV issues ! talk about ****ing into the wind !

Impz

Kymmy
17-04-2008, 13:40
It's purely the modem as I never had TV with them...I presume that dailing 150 from my business line will get me through to the same people or do I have to dail another number now I'm on a business line??

Kymmy

whydoIneedatech
17-04-2008, 14:10
It's purely the modem as I never had TV with them...I presume that dailing 150 from my business line will get me through to the same people or do I have to dail another number now I'm on a business line??

Kymmy

Get in touch with ntl:Telewest Business

For all phone enquiries call:
0800 953 0180
Monday to Friday
8am to 6pm