PDA

View Full Version : Accessing my pop3 account on Nokia 6110

jonm3541
15-04-2008, 20:25
Hi,
I am having trouble accessing my NTL pop3 mail account on my Nokia 6110 mobile phone. I am sure that my login details are correct and I can access 2 other pop3 accounts ok using the same WAP internet settings.

I suspect this may be because I am not accessing via a VM account (my phone is on Vodafone). Should I be using diffent login details to do this?

Regards

Jon

kryogenik
15-04-2008, 20:43
Hiya Jon -:welcome: to the forum.

It's been a while since I needed to access my VM (then NTL) account from my Orange mobile, but it was possible. I find I can't from my O2 mobile however.

As far as I know you do need to be logged into a VM connection to access VM's POP3.
One way around it is to have your VM email forwarded to a GMail account and pick it up on your phone that way?

kiltedscot
16-04-2008, 21:43
Hi Jon,

itis possible, but you have to use the "internet" access point and not the default "contract wap" .

I assume you are contract?

KS

techyguy4
17-04-2008, 05:58
You need a VM connection for that.I think you should still be able to receive the mails but for sending the mails, the smtp server requires port 110 which is blocked by most of the ISPs if you are not using their smtp server.(if you are using a third party smtp server).The same goes for the PC email clients as well.

Jon T
17-04-2008, 08:13
Virgins's POP3 and SMTP servers will only respond to clients that have a VM IP address.

As has been suggested, you'll have to use WAP and http://webmail.ntlworld.com

jonm3541
17-04-2008, 08:26
Thanks Guys for the advice.
It's not a major problem and to be honest, I think I will just bounce my VM mail to another pop3 account that I can pick up on the mobile.

Thanks again, a nice helpful forum!

Jon

Richy99
17-04-2008, 09:39
you can access the pop3 server from any connection so im not sure where people are getting that information from and giving out misleading information

anap
17-04-2008, 09:40
I get my blueyonder email on my phone.

Jon T
17-04-2008, 12:05
I get my blueyonder email on my phone.

maybe the fact that I and other poeple can't, and have never been able to do so on any other connection other that a VM/NTL one.

You may be able to, but your one of the first people i've ever heard of that can.

Richy99
17-04-2008, 12:37
ive had my ntlworld email setup on my old motorola v3 and had no problems with it on o2 and ive also setup t-mobile on a sony k800i with no issues so maybe its the setting or your provider rather than the server, i can get my ntlworld email in work which isnt on a VM connection

kryogenik
17-04-2008, 13:14
On PAYG on O2 I can't POP or SMTP to my VM connection (POP *may* be possible, but as my phone insists on sending before checking for mail, it fails at the SMTP (due to blocked port) and errors out).
May be different on contract, I could do both on Orange contract.

PhobosDeimos
17-04-2008, 15:38
Hello everyone.

As this seemed like a well discussed issue I thought it a good idea to post some information that might clarify a few points.

VM state clearly on their Website under the section Email help the following statement, why you might not be able to send email:

"You are not connecting to Virgin Media when trying to send email. This will give an error code of 550 or 'Relaying mail is not allowed'."
http://www.virgin.net/helpme/email/questions/12.html

Vodafone have always been sensitive to the fact that some ISP's restrict what kind of activity you can do if your not connected via their tethered connection. With this in mind Vodafone provide a free standing smtp server with the address send.vodafone.net No usernames or passwords are required to use this server and it will still appear at the other end that you're sending from your VM account. You also use the standard 25 as your smtp port.

Whilst I can not comment on VM's part in this issue, I can assure you that our Internet APN provides useable access to pop3 and IMAP accounts. I am quite happily using my Gmail account on my Vodafone handset :)

If you can use other POP3 and IMAP services on your device through Vodafone, then it's highly unlikely to be an issue with our network.

One last little bit of information. If you're using the email client on your handset to send/receive email then you need to be using internet access and not wap. The name for Vodafones internet APN is simply internet in lower case with the username web and password web. Again these are in lower case.

I hope this information is of use! :)

PhobosDeimos
Vodafone UK

ceedee
17-04-2008, 19:23
PhobosDeimos
Vodafone UK
Welcome to CF, PhobosDeimos!

:clap:
Would I be right in guessing you are part of Amy Rose's FIT crew?

Kymmy
17-04-2008, 19:34
I had the "Only accessable" from the ISP's connection problem a few years ago when I wanted to access my pop from my mobile.

My solution was to set up a forwarding rule that forwarded the mail to another accesable pop but still kept a copy on the original server...Not sure if you can do that via VM (probably on thier webmail page) but it gave me a temporary solution until I sorted out my own domains (one of the reasons as to why I always use my own domains and not ISP emails anymore.

Kymmy

jonm3541
18-04-2008, 10:23
Success!! Many thanks for all the helpful comments.

I finally got it receiving pop3 mail last night although it will not send (not too bothered about that).

I was using my full email address as the username ( which I have to do on my other pop3 accounts). Apparently it just requires the bit before the@. Doh !

As usual with me, it's either finger trouble or not reading the instructions.
It seems to have sparked an interesting range of opinions though :argue: !!!

Regards

Jon

Kymmy
18-04-2008, 11:37
Success!! Many thanks for all the helpful comments.

I finally got it receiving pop3 mail last night although it will not send (not too bothered about that).

I was using my full email address as the username ( which I have to do on my other pop3 accounts). Apparently it just requires the bit before the@. Doh !

As usual with me, it's either finger trouble or not reading the instructions.
It seems to have sparked an interesting range of opinions though :argue: !!!

Regards

Jon

Good to hear...

You will NOT be able to send via VM's SMTP server instead you'll have to use Vodaphones SMTP server. The reason for this is that VM will not allow anyone not on thier connection to send which means less spam for the rest of us :)

Go through Vodaphones help files or ask thier tech support and you should then be OK

Kymmy

ceedee
18-04-2008, 11:57
Go through Vodaphones help files or ask thier tech support and you should then be OK

If you have problems, try posting to Vodafone's new forums (http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/) -- the tech support team seem responsive and very easy to deal with.