PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question

Prawn1978
15-04-2008, 19:24
Hi, I have what I imagine is an incredibly stupid question:

If my phone line is provided by Virgin Media, does my broadband also have to be Virgin or can I choose a different broadband supplier and retain my VM phone line?

I presume if I want someone other than Virgin to supply my broadband I'll also have to cancel my Virgin phone line and get a BT/TalkTalk etc. one?

If not, which other broadband suppliers can I get with a Virgin phone line?

Thanks for any help you can give.

chris9991
15-04-2008, 19:28
I think that if you want broadband from a supplier other than VM then you need a phone line that is connected to the local telephone exchange. VM lines are on a separate network. Though you could use broadband through the mobile phone network, e.g. vodafone or o2

frogstamper
15-04-2008, 20:59
Hi, I have what I imagine is an incredibly stupid question:

If my phone line is provided by Virgin Media, does my broadband also have to be Virgin or can I choose a different broadband supplier and retain my VM phone line?

I presume if I want someone other than Virgin to supply my broadband I'll also have to cancel my Virgin phone line and get a BT/TalkTalk etc. one?

If not, which other broadband suppliers can I get with a Virgin phone line?

Thanks for any help you can give.

I expect that's one of the reasons VMs broadband prices come down by a fair amount if you have BB and phone, because once you have a VM phone, as far as BB is concerned they've GOTCHAA!!:D

jaycee
16-04-2008, 15:40
If by broadband, you mean ADSL providers, then no you need a BT line.

This has nothing to do with Virgin locking people in - it is simply that ADSL works by connecting to equipment in BT exchanges. Virgin is cable and doesnt have this equipment as it has the fibre/coaxial network to supply high speed data instead.