PDA

View Full Version : web site drop outs

Visitor
14-04-2008, 07:34
Anybody point me in the right direction here. For the last week I have had problems in accessing a site, normally it loads very fast, and I have never had a problem. (I have 20Mb Broadband)

Here's what happens;

I visit site A, and all is fine, then I click a link and its gone, as if I don’t have internet connection, I get a white page "The page cannot be displayed" Just like the internet goes down..

However, If I click Site B, it loads just fine, and Ill click on a shortcut to Site A and it loads again.

1, BOTH sites are on a dedicated server, which I own !
2, both sites use the same scripts, exact copies.
3, F5 or Control F5 refresh, don’t bring back the site.

I can be accessing several phpBB forum topics, without problems, then suddenly its gone

1,Tried emptying temporary internet files
2,Tried switching the IP address of site A, to match site B
3, Checked all browser settings

Others, including the servers supplier (fasthost) have said they don’t get a problem !. But there again did the problem happen exactly the time they tested...

What can it be?, I cant switch to another Proxy address, NTL have stopped that now, so cant test that.

MovedGoalPosts
14-04-2008, 08:01
Have you tried specifying an alternate dns server.

Are you using a router? Does the same thing happen if you connect direct to the modem?

Visitor
14-04-2008, 08:15
Hi, forgot to add, its not just browsing, If I happen to be using FTP or checking mail, they also stop working.

1, FTP file transfer 50 files > Stops at 20 (Example), Click Site B in Browser, FTP continues.

I only have 2 DNS server addresses for use, 20 domains use the same DNS setting.
Yes using router, Switched from WIFI to direct cable, still same

Does the same thing happen if you connect direct to the modem?

It only happens on this site, no other site on this server, and no other site in the world :)

Raistlin
14-04-2008, 08:21
I get exactly the same problem, all over the Internet, and on all sorts of different sites.

At the moment I'm thinking that it's either a) Firefox, or b) openDNS, although I can't work out which (or even if that's right).

haydnwalker
14-04-2008, 08:51
How about trying (if you havent already):

Going to Tools > Internet Options.

Under the Temporary Internet Files area, there is a Settings button. Click on that and then make sure the "Check for new versions of stored pages" is set using the radio buttons to "Every Visit to the Page".

If your using FireFox it might be slightly different :)

It could be that IE/FF are looking for a page that isn't on your HDD anymore since wiping the Temp Internet Files?

If this is not the case, then use OpenDNS and find an alternate DNS Server to see if this solves the problem.

---------- Post added at 08:51 ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 ----------

I get exactly the same problem, all over the Internet, and on all sorts of different sites.

At the moment I'm thinking that it's either a) Firefox, or b) openDNS, although I can't work out which (or even if that's right).

That sounds like OpenDNS...try different DNS servers. Could be one that is up and down like a yo-yo causing your issue.

smeagoly1
14-04-2008, 10:34
I have had the same for about 4 weeks now, it's worse when you have to send information on a web page, like log on details or even when going through Ebay. Both using FF and IE. Google is also a nightmare at times.

It's been suggested using a different DNS, like myself i'm quite unsure on how to proceed, any links to a: how to do it and b: where to go :) basically and Idiots guide for use getting on a bit hahaha

chrome
14-04-2008, 11:21
same here as well, over the week end i could clink on a link or web page go and make myself a cup of coffee and it might have loaded by the time i get back. i to have read about dns settings and i'm also unsure of what to do or change. the 20 meg connection that i am on in stoke on trent ( st1 ) is so slow, i don't even reach download speeds of 2 meg . could someone tell me what a dns is and if altering these setting can help a slow connection.

Visitor
14-04-2008, 18:05
Whats all this third party openDNS (https://www.opendns.com), NOTHING is free !, never new about this, but suspect that anything free is full of ads or spys...

"Check for new versions of stored pages", I did switch to that, but had same problem. So ran the repair on XP CD, and updates from MS, and so far no problems, but its happend like this for the first few clicks anyway :)

chrome
15-04-2008, 12:16
This problem is getting on my nerves. Even this site i have problems getting onto it, other sites just comes back can't display page. Are there any other people having the same problem or got any suggestions before i give tech services a ring, it's been going on now for over a week?

ceedee
15-04-2008, 14:07
Whats all this third party openDNS (https://www.opendns.com), NOTHING is free !, never new about this, but suspect that anything free is full of ads or spys...

Give it a go and see for yourself -- it won't do any damage and you can switch back to whatever you're currently using whenever you feel like it.

I've been using OpenDNS (https://www.opendns.com) off and on for the last 18 months and it works (when VM's dns seems to be having problems). The only ads I've seen have been when a webpage is unavailable and it redirects to an OpenDns information page.

If you decide to give it a trial for a couple of days, make sure you make a note of your current DNS IPs so that you can revert back to your existing setup.

mojo
15-04-2008, 14:29
I've been getting this too. It's not a DNS issue, I can resolve the IPs no problem, it's a connection issue.

It's almost like the transparent proxies are back... something to do with Phorm maybe?