PDA

View Full Version : My broadband is slow. CHECK THIS FIRST

xspeedyx
12-04-2008, 15:55
Ok I know people are getting slow speeds so I am gonna create a check list to do before you ring support or blame Virgin Media.

1. If you are getting slow speeds check @ gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk and download 2 files and add the transfer rate together
2. Check you havent been traffic managed check the limits here http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html
3. Check the service status page for any info on outages or slow speeds in your area http://status-cable.virginmedia.com/vmstatus/summary.do
4. make sure when you check your speeds its with the computer having the modem directly connected
5. Check your network card can handle your connection speed
6. Clean your pc for virus and spyware
any one else wanna add some info and maybe if the mods wanna added this to a sticky

AmAtoL
12-04-2008, 15:58
ceedee probably will ;P

Druchii
12-04-2008, 16:41
I would also suggest flushing your DNS cache as occasionally it too is at fault, this can eb done by Holding the windows key and pressing "r", to bring up the "Run" dialog. Then typing in "cmd" and pressing enter.

When the black window (command prompt) appears simply type: ipconfig /flushdns
Then hit enter. It will complete, and a new cache will begin to be built while you browse normally.

cimt
12-04-2008, 17:11
5. Check your network card can handle 20 Mb

Not everyone is on 20Mb, so maybe change it so it mentions the speed someone is using, like;

5. Check your network card can handle your current connection speed

Noggo
12-04-2008, 17:22
Make sure you cable modem can handle 20 Meg?

Even tho IMO VM should have automatically upgraded all the modems that couldn't handle 20 Meg, as and when the areas where upgraded. Not wait for people to find out when they get in touch complaining or from friends and forums. Not even an email advising customers to check. Poor customer service, they're still customers from newsgroup support requesting them.

Druchii
12-04-2008, 17:24
Make sure you cable modem can handle 20 Meg?

Even tho IMO VM should have automatically upgraded all the modems that couldn't handle 20 Meg, as and when the areas where upgraded. Not wait for people to find out when they get in touch complaining or from friends and forums. Not even an email advising customers to check. Poor customer service, they're still customers from newsgroup support requesting them.
Modems that are known to have issues with 20Mb: Ntl Home 100, NTL Home 120. NTL Home 200.

I am unaware of any others, unfortunately.

Noggo
12-04-2008, 19:41
From old Telewest side - surfboard 4100 (SB4100) isn't 20 Meg compatible.
Unsure about the SB4200, if you're got one check here:
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/current_service.html

Joxer
12-04-2008, 23:32
I would also suggest turning off 3rd party browser extensions if using Internet Explorer - especially if browsing is very slow or IE is slow to start. At a guess I've had it work in about 50% of cases.

Tools->Internet Optoions->Advanced->untick "allow 3rd party browser extensions"->restart IE (It will be near the start of the list you will only need to scroll down 1 or 2 lines)

mirrors.virginmedia.com is another site to try downloading from.

Also, in a command prompt window:

netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset

Have been known to help with slow speeds.

And clear the cache and cookies!

lostandconfused
13-04-2008, 01:23
If using wireless, remove it and run the speed checks with a direct connection to the modem and one PC