PDA

View Full Version : BB and customer service...

otguk
12-04-2008, 14:32
Hi,

Spoke to sales other week. Got XLBB and Phone. Set up install date for phone. Was told BB would go back up to 20meg near enough straight away. Didn't so I wait thinking it would happen when the phone was installed.

Phone installed fine, asked the engineer if he could tell me when the BB would go up to 20meg. Told me he didn't know anything about BB speeds or modems? So it was pointless of me showing him the config page on the modem to prove it was only 2meg. So I picked up the new phone and dialed 150. Spoke to a nice lady who said I need to talk to BB tech support and here have the 0909.....

So I ring speak to a gentleman who after telling me I would be paying 25p a minute (we all now this before calling) I tell him my name, fred bloggs... is that said Fred, yes I say. Then after repeating my address twice and the account number twice am thinking what's going on. I started talking more slowly and clearly after getting asked twice if that was how you say Fred.

Anyway after that time wasting exercise we get down to why am calling.

Me "My modem is not running at 20meg, its working fine on 2meg. Could you send a hit and tell it to work at 20meg."

Line goes dead.... hello, hello, wait 20 sec thinking that the line has gone dead and I would need to start all over again but yes there still was someone there, just running tests.

Is your BB working now? Yes I have just said it was working OK, just at the wrong speed, all you need to do is send it a hit that tells it to run at 20meg.

I then told him I also had the virgin router in the set up. I was then asked to plug the modem into my PC and not into the router. That's when I start thinking what's he playing at.

So am asked to turn off modem and boot into safe mode!

I say to myself OK I will play along with this and see how far he will go.

So its in safe mode (with networking, even though he never said anything about that) and for some reason I cant get the net, tell him this. I cant get onto the modem either.

Then I just ask him "Could you please tell me what speed you can see the modem running at your end?"

He side steps and asks me to reboot PC. Again I ask about the speed. Thats when the line starts to get hard for him to hear me. Back in windows I can get onto the web/modem. Again I ask about the speed and why is it not a simple task of him sending the modem a HIT to tell it to run at 20meg?

Thats when he asked if he can ring me back? So after about 30/40 minutes I had got nowhere. I didn't even know if I was going to have to pay for the call at this point.

I waited 30 minutes and get no call back but checking my modem I see that the speed is now 20meg. Grate problem sorted. Well almost, was it my fault or am I paying for the tech call?

Ring virgin and speak to another nice lady and she cant see the tech call as the system works 24hrs behind, after I told her my side of what happened she agreed to credit my account. OK sort. Thanks and have a good day.

Why did this all take nearly 2hrs of my day to sort out.

My conclusion is tech support is crap and they will keep you talking for as long as they can. Which if you know bugger all about PCs then that's a long time. I wish that the techs would give you there ID tag so if there was any reason for a complaint all you need to do is give an ID and not some name that to be far I cant even say let alone remember.

OK rant over....

dave_dph
12-04-2008, 14:40
Why don't you use the newsgroup support? Excellent service and free too!