PDA

View Full Version : 50mg

kirk1690
12-04-2008, 11:42
will the 50mg be a stand alone product sorry , up to 50mg or will vip customers automatically be upgraded.:(

Sirius
12-04-2008, 12:03
will the 50mg be a stand alone product sorry , up to 50mg or will vip customers automatically be upgraded.:(

From everything i have seen and heard it will be a standalone service.

TheBlueRaja
12-04-2008, 12:16
From everything i have seen and heard it will be a standalone service.

You may even get a full 20meg with this service!

xspeedyx
12-04-2008, 13:22
NO stand alone VM wouldnt be able to do this

Toto
12-04-2008, 13:24
You may even get a full 20meg with this service!
You mean like Sky's service??

Come off it Raja, I've been reviewing Sky discussion forums, there are 8Mb customers barely getting two meg many much less, go peddle your nonsense elsewhere, it really is getting boring.

---------- Post added at 13:24 ---------- Previous post was at 13:23 ----------

NO stand alone VM wouldnt be able to do this

Can't or won't?

xspeedyx
12-04-2008, 15:14
Cant

Toto
12-04-2008, 16:42
Why can't they do it?

chaders
12-04-2008, 17:20
virgin custs who sign upto the 50mg will get their own tap point in the distribution cabinet , hence less signal loss from the amp .
all areas are having the ubr upgrades to compensate for this

TheBlueRaja
13-04-2008, 13:47
You mean like Sky's service??

Come off it Raja, I've been reviewing Sky discussion forums, there are 8Mb customers barely getting two meg many much less, go peddle your nonsense elsewhere, it really is getting boring.

Your free to post elsewhere.

The difference between Sky and VM is that Sky have no control over how far customer live from the exchange, the state of their master socket or whether they choose to run massive extension leads from the master socket to the PC. It wouldn't matter is they were with Sky, Tiscali or Zen it could still be as slow.

VM have complete control from data centre to endpoint and charge over twice as much, rarely deliver what they promise and an "8meg" connection is only a fiver from Sky.

Really, people do need to take their blinkers off sometimes.

lostandconfused
13-04-2008, 14:13
snip

Are you including yourself in that comment?

To say that VM rarely supply the service they are paying for is a bit much IMO unless you have something to back it up with?

Rob King
13-04-2008, 14:55
The thing with virgin media is that they promise the world and they don't , the Rep who came to my house 7 weeks ago to sign me up said i would get 20 mb ( not up too i said ) no he said 20 mb , i said whats the upload speed he said they upgraded it to 1.5 mb ( bull its only 768 kb/s ) he also said that the 50 mb would be an upgrade for FREE , i just wish these Reps would stop telling lies and give up the truth . ( by the way i get about 14.5 mb and 730 kb/s on average )

Toto
13-04-2008, 15:54
Your free to post elsewhere.

The difference between Sky and VM is that Sky have no control over how far customer live from the exchange, the state of their master socket or whether they choose to run massive extension leads from the master socket to the PC. It wouldn't matter is they were with Sky, Tiscali or Zen it could still be as slow.

VM have complete control from data centre to endpoint and charge over twice as much, rarely deliver what they promise and an "8meg" connection is only a fiver from Sky.

So, with the exception of range from the exchange, the complaints the customers appear to be making are largely all their own fault? I wonder if you apply a similar logic to VM customers?

Interesting. So you are saying then that Sky run a good service for a fiver, and those paying a fiver get 8Meg? Even somebody like you must know that at best your argument is weak, you'd get more respect if you admitted that. Sky User forum is awash with unhappy customers, and not even giving them the service for nothing is going to keep them. Yes, it could well be the same case for other ADSL suppliers, which tells you more about the superiority of cable that you would care to admit openly, never mind privately.

Sky will never be able to offer all their customers anything near upper end cable speeds unless there is a massive upgrade in LLU, even BT can't really afford that. What Sky BB users are being offered for a fiver is just that, a fivers worth of extended 56K modem speeds, I bet most at best are paying a fiver for around a couple of meg. Those lucky enough to get near 8Meg are then handled by a FUP, so all in all the shine is starting to fade.

But lets not forget, the Virgin broadband service isn't that good for some either, but I am betting its better for the vast majority, and when they are told they will get, 2, 4, 10 or even 20Meg, they usually get it.

---------- Post added at 15:54 ---------- Previous post was at 15:52 ----------

The thing with virgin media is that they promise the world and they don't , the Rep who came to my house 7 weeks ago to sign me up said i would get 20 mb ( not up too i said ) no he said 20 mb , i said whats the upload speed he said they upgraded it to 1.5 mb ( bull its only 768 kb/s ) he also said that the 50 mb would be an upgrade for FREE , i just wish these Reps would stop telling lies and give up the truth . ( by the way i get about 14.5 mb and 730 kb/s on average )

Hmmm, methinks a contract tech should keep his yap shut :)

20Mb upload has been 768 since the service was introduced. 50Mb service is reported to offer 1.5Mb up, but I don't know if its being offered as a free upgrade. It's supposed to be a money spinner, so I am not sure if that will be the case.

He may not be lying as such, just misinformed :)

Hom3r
13-04-2008, 16:12
They should give it free to VIP customers.

<-------

TheBlueRaja
13-04-2008, 18:12
So, with the exception of range from the exchange, the complaints the customers appear to be making are largely all their own fault? I wonder if you apply a similar logic to VM customers?

No, not their own fault, but not Sky's fault either. Sky have no control over the network between the exchange and the consumers PC and ANY ADSL provider the customer chose would provide a similar level of service. VM are much more responsible for a degradation in speed over that advertised because the manage and maintain the whole network from Data centre to the customers PC.

Interesting. So you are saying then that Sky run a good service for a fiver, and those paying a fiver get 8Meg? Even somebody like you must know that at best your argument is weak, you'd get more respect if you admitted that. Sky User forum is awash with unhappy customers, and not even giving them the service for nothing is going to keep them. Yes, it could well be the same case for other ADSL suppliers, which tells you more about the superiority of cable that you would care to admit openly, never mind privately.

No i said, "VM have complete control from data centre to endpoint and charge over twice as much, rarely deliver what they promise and an "8meg" connection is only a fiver from Sky."

Quite how you make that out to mean that i think this means they will all get 8Meg is beyond me?

There are also loads of unhappy VM customer on this forum, your point has no basis. If cable was as superior as you suggest every VM customer would be happy, in actual fact, considering what VM customers pay against the speeds they get it could be argued that cable is worse. Atlhough this is more to do with traffic shaping, application management and the state of the VM network as opposed to the capability of the technology which if implemented correctly would beat ADSL hands down. The problem with VM is, it isnt...

Sky will never be able to offer all their customers anything near upper end cable speeds unless there is a massive upgrade in LLU, even BT can't really afford that. What Sky BB users are being offered for a fiver is just that, a fivers worth of extended 56K modem speeds, I bet most at best are paying a fiver for around a couple of meg. Those lucky enough to get near 8Meg are then handled by a FUP, so all in all the shine is starting to fade.

But lets not forget, the Virgin broadband service isn't that good for some either, but I am betting its better for the vast majority, and when they are told they will get, 2, 4, 10 or even 20Meg, they usually get it.

I get 13meg of non traffic shaped, non application managed broadband for a tenner, not bad for "extended modem speeds". :monkey: That statement shows what you really know about ADSL.

Toto
13-04-2008, 18:22
Thanks Raja.

Our posts prove then, you are blinkered to Sky, as am I to Virgin Media. Cheers for that.

TheBlueRaja
13-04-2008, 18:24
Thanks Raja.

Our posts prove then, you are blinkered to Sky, as am I to Virgin Media. Cheers for that.

So you have no answer and as such your only option is to label me a Sky fanatic even though i mention several companies as well as Sky that would do an equally well job and specify that cable would be better if properly implemented.

My, im impressed...

seanyseansean
13-04-2008, 18:28
As an FYI on this banter - my home connection is with Be* ADSL, and I get 18MBit down / 2.3MBit up.

It's reliable, too. I can download all day and night from newsdemon (17gb yesterday but thats unusually high) and don't get capped, traffic shaped, or told off.

This costs me £22 a month. I could get it far less, but I wanted more upload and a static IP.

A lot of my friends are only on Virgin because it's convenient with the telly service. My girlfriend however is already sick of the slow service, and having seen the Sky offers (rebates and such), it costs about the same for us to get their TV service, and proper quick broadband from Be*, even with the line rental.

If Virgin charge even more of a premium for their 50mb service they'll not sell many. What's the point of 50mb, when you'll be traffic shaped after half an hour?

My 2 pence etc etc.

icestar2
13-04-2008, 18:29
They forget to mention that you will only get 50mb after midnight if my current connection is anthing to go by.

Toto
13-04-2008, 18:35
Raja I have much to say on the matter, as do many disgruntled customers on DSL and Cable. I still firmly believe that the DSL solution is extremely geographically inferior to Cable, no matter how cheap Sky or other DSL suppliers make it.

I don't have to label you a sky fanatic, many of your anti VM posts have done that for you. Prove me wrong?

---------- Post added at 18:35 ---------- Previous post was at 18:33 ----------

They forget to mention that you will only get 50mb after midnight if my current connection is anthing to go by.

Tisk tisk, not even launched yet. :D

TheBlueRaja
13-04-2008, 18:37
Raja I have much to say on the matter, as do many disgruntled customers on DSL and Cable. I still firmly believe that the DSL solution is extremely geographically inferior to Cable, no matter how cheap Sky or other DSL suppliers make it.

I don't have to label you a sky fanatic, many of your anti VM posts have done that for you. Prove me wrong?

Actually that's for you to prove, i don't need to justify myself to you.

I do believe VM to be a poor service provider though by comparison to others out there and if people on here were being honest i would expect a large majority of them think there is a great potential for improvement. Where i come in is when people post inaccuracies about other services by other providers in comparison to VM, i like to debunk some of the myths.

You say, "I still firmly believe that the DSL solution is extremely geographically inferior to Cable, no matter how cheap Sky or other DSL suppliers make it. "

That makes no sense? Geographically speaking ADSL is available in a far greater area than cable will ever be.

Toto
13-04-2008, 18:45
Snip

You say, "I still firmly believe that the DSL solution is extremely geographically inferior to Cable, no matter how cheap Sky or other DSL suppliers make it. "

That makes no sense? Geographically speaking ADSL is available in a far greater area than cable will ever be.

My apologies, when I meant was distance from the exchange is not a contributing factor for Cable as it is for DSL, my comment was nothing to do to the total geographical coverage of DSL systems over Cable.

seanyseansean
13-04-2008, 18:46

There's a cable box about 10 metres in front of my flat, but they wouldn't let me have it as they're not doing any more connections in my area, apparently.

A few years ago I was bothered, but not any more.

kronas
13-04-2008, 18:51

well berkett is basically saying to content holders to pay for end users to get the content faster, a new way to squeeze more money out of other compaines, traffic management is an unfortunate future, lets hope it fails and it all falls flat on its face!