PDA

View Full Version : Back pain

punky
11-04-2008, 15:38
I have this weird pain in my lower back.

As you can see from the attachment, the position is a few (8"-ish) above the top of my bum, and on the far-left of my body, just under the skin of my back.

Normally it doesn't hurt, and I can bend/stretch/turn in 98% of directions fine. Although if I bend to the right (i.e. stretching my left) it is a bit uncomfortable, but entirely bareable. Its also not painful to touch. However if I sneeze or cough (sneezing is worse and seems to happen a lot with me), it is absolutely agonising. The pain lasts for a few seconds or a bit longer depending on how big the sneeze was

The pain started yesterday and I was just sitting down at my desk as per normal. It seemed to be a bit better this morning, but after just sneezing a couple of times its now back and agonising. A few mins after sneezing it was fine-ish again.

Anyone know what's going on or anything I can do to lessen the pain?

Many thanks in advance.

Nugget
11-04-2008, 15:42
Wotcha punky,

Rammy's probably the best person to ask, but this is almost exactly what happened to me before my doctor diagnosed me with sciatica. I seem to think that Rammy thought it may be something else, but that's my experience anyway :)

punky
11-04-2008, 15:44
Indeedy, hopefully Mr Rammy will be here sooner rather than later. :cries:

I don't like to speculate, but what happened with your diagnosis/treatment?

MovedGoalPosts
11-04-2008, 15:52
Oh dear, now we know why you are wary of the next NTHW lan party - you'll be another one screaming in pain from Ramrod's activator :eek:

Nugget
11-04-2008, 15:58
Indeedy, hopefully Mr Rammy will be here sooner rather than later. :cries:

I don't like to speculate, but what happened with your diagnosis/treatment?

The doctor prescribed some anti-inflammatories (potassium declofenac) and painkillers. I can't remember how long the course of treatment was (about a week or so, I think) but, fingers crossed, it's almost entirely cleared up now. I still get the occasional 'twinge' of pain, but that's normally after I've twisted sharply or something like that.

Nidge
11-04-2008, 16:44
Sounds like muscle trouble mate, round that area of the back you have muscles that keep you upright, over the last couple of years I've had pain all round that area, when I visited the doctors all he prescribed me was Tramadol.

dilli-theclaw
11-04-2008, 16:44
Oh dear, now we know why you are wary of the next NTHW lan party - you'll be another one screaming in pain from Ramrod's activator :eek:I'm already booked in the q before Punky :)

Raistlin
11-04-2008, 16:48
Drink at least 4 pints of water a day for the next 7 days and all will be well.

MovedGoalPosts
11-04-2008, 16:50
I'm already booked in the q before Punky :)

I'll be keeping quiet and hoping he don't notice me in the corner :D

er um I suspect my cunning little plan might now be out of the bag :oops:

punky
11-04-2008, 16:53

If you're in front of me and I sneeze to trigger my pain, I WILL knock you out the way and go in front, blind man or not :bsmack: :)

danielf
11-04-2008, 16:56

I'd be worried. Personally, I'd rather have ten nutters in front of me than one behind me.

:jk: Punky :)

Wicked_and_Crazy
11-04-2008, 17:05
Sounds like muscle trouble mate, round that area of the back you have muscles that keep you upright, over the last couple of years I've had pain all round that area, when I visited the doctors all he prescribed me was Tramadol.

You dont want to be having trouble with muscles round the back :erm:

Nugget
11-04-2008, 17:16
You dont want to be having trouble with muscles round the back :erm:

Depends if you want to lose weight or not ;)

TraxData
11-04-2008, 17:18

Agreed, i also have pain in the exact same area, its usually torn/twisted muscle/out of place, maybe you need to strengthen your back with exercies.

dilli-theclaw
11-04-2008, 17:31
If you're in front of me and I sneeze to trigger my pain, I WILL knock you out the way and go in front, blind man or not :bsmack: :)
Not if I trip you up with my stick you won't ;)

But, no, you can go first if you like - I want to see you in pain as Rammy works on you :)

Ramrod
12-04-2008, 00:52
Wotcha punky,

Rammy's probably the best person to ask, but this is almost exactly what happened to me before my doctor diagnosed me with sciatica. I seem to think that Rammy thought it may be something else, but that's my experience anyway :)GP's diagnoses (re back pain) are a little random in my experience.....sorry Salu :)

---------- Post added at 23:40 ---------- Previous post was at 23:31 ----------

The doctor prescribed some anti-inflammatories (potassium declofenac) and painkillers. I can't remember how long the course of treatment was (about a week or so, I think) but, fingers crossed, it's almost entirely cleared up now. I still get the occasional 'twinge' of pain, but that's normally after I've twisted sharply or something like that.If you took NSAID's for more than 3 days then the cartilage in your injured joints was damaged by them after that time....I have tried to find the research to back that up but can't atm.

---------- Post added at 23:42 ---------- Previous post was at 23:40 ----------

I'm already booked in the q before Punky :)The Dilli is evil, he must suffer! :D

---------- Post added at 23:49 ---------- Previous post was at 23:42 ----------

Sounds like muscle trouble mate, round that area of the back you have muscles that keep you upright, That is what I was thinking, especially with the pain on coughing. That usually indicates rib joint/intercostal muscle (http://faculty.etsu.edu/currie/images/respmusc.jpg)/longissimus thoracis/illiocostalis lumborum (http://www.efeld.com/images/phd/extensors.gif) injury........but it's hard to diagnose over the net....

---------- Post added at 23:50 ---------- Previous post was at 23:49 ----------

I'm already booked in the q before Punky :)Huh? Wasasat? :erm:

---------- Post added at 23:52 ---------- Previous post was at 23:50 ----------

But, no, you can go first if you like - I want to see you in pain as Rammy works on you :)I don't cause much pain....:D

I'm getting over a bout of this pain myself atm....I'll have a look at yours for you at the LAN :)

punky
12-04-2008, 00:59
That is what I was thinking, especially with the pain on coughing. That usually indicates rib joint/intercostal muscle (http://faculty.etsu.edu/currie/images/respmusc.jpg)/longissimus thoracis/illiocostalis lumborum (http://www.efeld.com/images/phd/extensors.gif) injury........but it's hard to diagnose over the net....

Looks like the docs for me then :(

Is there anything I can do it in the meantime to mitigate it? Like an analgesic or deep heat?

Ramrod
12-04-2008, 01:46
Is there anything I can do it in the meantime to mitigate it? Like an analgesic or deep heat?Painkillers, if you can't cope (see GP).....and ice the area for < 20 minutes at a time to ease the inflammation. Don't use heat while the area is very tender....

Cerberus
12-04-2008, 02:32
From what I've heard, I will give anyone a grand if they can last 10 minutes in Rammy's torture chamber! :D

I will make that more after May, so you can challenge now or wait until I've had my turn and end up looking like a royal mail envelope. :D

Bloody masicists! :erm:

Got to admit though Rammy IS the messiah, but I can't remember where I heard it! :erm:

Oh yeah that's right, I had a bad neck issue and Rammy told me to do this and now it's worse. (Although not in my neck, but in my lower shoulder). Thought he cured it, so obviously he doesn't have the healing hands. Not unless it's an Elton John single he bought a while back!!! (Go on Rammy admit it to th board!) :D

Err hang on how did I know Healing Hands was an Elton John single???? :erm::erm::erm::erm:

MovedGoalPosts
12-04-2008, 02:41
10 minutes, can I just have £100 if I hold out for a minute :D

And no, Rammrod is a naughty boy (after all how else could he have got that name :naughty: ), but certainly no messiah ;)

Wicked_and_Crazy
12-04-2008, 07:01
GP's diagnoses (re back pain) are a little random in my experience.....sorry Salu :)

I'd agree with that, i had 6 weeks of hell a few years back, imho the Dr made it worse. As soon as i went to te Chiro there was a rapid improvement, nowadays i go to the Chiro twice a year for a check and rarely have any problems