PDA

View Full Version : Is that car insured??

Nidge
10-04-2008, 05:26
Try This to find out. (http://www.askmid.com/askmid.aspx)

webcrawler2050
10-04-2008, 06:07
Hmm thats an interesting tool! I like it ;)

cimt
10-04-2008, 08:02
Ohhh, that's cool. It works as well...

punky
10-04-2008, 08:41
Yeah, I was waiting for the gag. Like it saying the vehicle wasn't insured and have notified the police to crush it. But it really works, gives you your vehicle details too.

Only trouble is, its completely useless. According to the TOS you can only check a vehicle you own, so you can't check vehicles in the street or at the scene of an accident. I mean, if you can only check your vehicle, then you already know if you're insured or not.

Xaccers
10-04-2008, 09:46
Yeah, I was waiting for the gag. Like it saying the vehicle wasn't insured and have notified the police to crush it. But it really works, gives you your vehicle details too.

Only trouble is, its completely useless. According to the TOS you can only check a vehicle you own, so you can't check vehicles in the street or at the scene of an accident. I mean, if you can only check your vehicle, then you already know if you're insured or not.

Just because you have a certificate of motor insurance in your hand doesn't mean the system has the details right, so it's a handy backup check to make sure your insurance company haven't screwed up.

Graham M
10-04-2008, 10:12
Woo! My car has insurance lol

Jules
10-04-2008, 11:24
I am pleased to say mine is on there as insured :)

tweetypie/8
10-04-2008, 17:40
Woo! My car has insurance lol

mine to.;)

shawty
10-04-2008, 19:07
Just because you have a certificate of motor insurance in your hand doesn't mean the system has the details right, so it's a handy backup check to make sure your insurance company haven't screwed up.

Surely if you had a 'valid' certifcate of motor insurance, you would be covered anyhow even if the insurance company had screwed up.

Graham M
10-04-2008, 19:16
Yeah you would but you could be pulled over by an ANPR traffic car and have your time wasted as they check your details which could involve contacting your insurance company.

shawty
10-04-2008, 19:31
Yeah you would but you could be pulled over by an ANPR traffic car and have your time wasted as they check your details which could involve contacting your insurance company.

That could happen if you had insurance or no insurance and happen if you checked that site or didnt check that site.

Xaccers
10-04-2008, 19:35
That could happen if you had insurance or no insurance and happen if you checked that site or didnt check that site.

Ask yourself this; would you rather find out that your insurance company has screwed up and don't have your details on record while sat at home/work where you can phone them up and get them to sort it, or when you're pulled over by the police because your car has come up as being uninsured while in a hurry to get somewhere and have to sort it out by the side of the road?

Graham M
10-04-2008, 19:37
*sigh* some people always pick fault with things

shawty
10-04-2008, 19:52
*sigh* some people always pick fault with things

I never picked a fault, someone else did, then i picked up on something someone said.

---------- Post added at 19:52 ---------- Previous post was at 19:48 ----------

Ask yourself this; would you rather find out that your insurance company has screwed up and don't have your details on record while sat at home/work where you can phone them up and get them to sort it, or when you're pulled over by the police because your car has come up as being uninsured while in a hurry to get somewhere and have to sort it out by the side of the road?

If you have a insurance certificate, the likelyhood of them not having the corect details in the first place are slim. Then take into account how many people will use this system or know about it. Then take into account people who have a insurance certificate will know they are covered anyway. Then take into account that to tax a car, you need valid insurance, regardless, I was only pointing out that if you have a insurance certificate, you will be covered anyway.

Jon T
10-04-2008, 20:07
I was only pointing out that if you have a insurance certificate, you will be covered anyway.

Not always true.

If you watch tv progs like traffic cops you will be aware that some drivers get pulled over because of no insurance and after further checks it's found out that the insurance cover has been discontinued because, for whatever reason, regularr payments haven't been flowing between the driver and the insurance company.

Now the payment issue is normally the drivers fault, i.e. Once they've got the cover certificate they cancel the ipayments. But let me draw you a parallel, I had been paying the rent on my flat weekly and for the correct amount, one morning we get an eviction notice for high rent arrears, so I phone up housing association, turns out they've been applying my payment to another person's account.

Anyway, I suppose what I mean is, the website is something people can use if they want, nobody is forcing you to use it,. It's not getting in your way if you don't want to use it, is it?;)

shawty
10-04-2008, 20:11
Not always true.

If you watch tv progs like traffic cops you will be aware that some drivers get pulled over because of no insurance and after further checks it's found out that the insurance cover has been discontinued because, for whatever reason, regularr payments haven't been flowing between the driver and the insurance company.

Now the payment issue is normally the drivers fault, i.e. Once they've got the cover certificate they cancel the ipayments. But let me draw you a parallel, I had been paying the rent on my flat weekly and for the correct amount, one morning we get an eviction notice for high rent arrears, so I phone up housing association, turns out they've been applying my payment to another person's account.

Anyway, I suppose what I mean is, the website is something people can use if they want, nobody is forcing you to use it,. It's not getting in your way if you don't want to use it, is it?;)

My point was, you would still be covered though as that was not your mistake was it?

LSainsbury
10-04-2008, 20:18
Why is it that car related threads always provoke a reaction from you Shawty?

Do you have something against motorists?

shawty
10-04-2008, 20:19
Why is it that car related threads always provoke a reaction from you Shawty?

Do you have something against motorists?

What you talking about? Do you have a problem with what I said?

Jon T
10-04-2008, 20:23
My point was, you would still be covered though as that was not your mistake was it?

We were 1 hour from being evicted even though the housing association knew where the money had gone, what make's this any different? Copper having a bad day, insurance company having "computer errors", or just a telephonist/call centre person being unhelpfull. Meanwhile your car is impounded pending investigation.

BTW, I used to believe that everything went smoothly and followed rules, and if it didn't, a no nonsense chat to someone in person/on the phone would sort it out. Then I joined the real world, and realised things that were supposed to happen sometimes did(and vice versa).

LSainsbury
10-04-2008, 20:26
What you talking about? Do you have a problem with what I said?

No - but it's just that you always seem to get very defensive when car topics appear...

shawty
10-04-2008, 20:30
We were 1 hour from being evicted even thoguh the housing association knew where the money had gone, what make's this any different? Copper having a bad day, insurance company having "computer errors", or just a telephonist/call centre person being unhelpfull. Meanwhile your car is impounded pending investigation.

The point being is, you were not evicted and even if you were, you were still in the right and could claim back.

What we are talking about is a website that lets you check wether your car isnured.

1) You need valid insurance to be able to tax a car and as far as Im aware also MOT it, but Im not sure on that one.

2)You should know that the payments for the insurance are coming out

Which brings us onto

3) If you are all legit and you have a insurance certificate, then you are covered, even if the insurance has made a mistake.

I think what i said has been tookm out of context. The whole point of my first post was if you have the insurance certificate, then if there is a problem on the side of the insurance, you would still be covered as you would be able to provide the evidence.

---------- Post added at 20:30 ---------- Previous post was at 20:29 ----------

No - but it's just that you always seem to get very defensive when car topics appear...

Maybe its just your mind playing tricks on you.

No where in this thread have I been defensive about car topics or shown I have something against motorists. Myabe you are trying to get a rise out of me?

Mick
10-04-2008, 20:46
Shawty - I will not have you spoiling yet another thread with your silly argumentative and petty nit picking at every other minor detail.

Getting back to the topic - What a good site - bookmarked. Thanks for sharing the link. :)

Jon T
The point being is, you were not evicted and even if you were, you were still in the right and could claim back.

What we are talking about is a website that lets you check wether your car isnured.

1) You need valid insurance to be able to tax a car and as far as Im aware also MOT it, but Im not sure on that one.

2)You should know that the payments for the insurance are coming out

Which brings us onto

3) If you are all legit and you have a insurance certificate, then you are covered, even if the insurance has made a mistake.

I think what i said has been tookm out of context. The whole point of my first post was if you have the insurance certificate, then if there is a problem on the side of the insurance, you would still be covered as you would be able to provide the evidence.

---------- Post added at 20:30 ---------- Previous post was at 20:29 ----------

Maybe its just your mind playing tricks on you.

No where in this thread have I been defensive about car topics or shown I have something against motorists. Myabe you are trying to get a rise out of me?

1. Yes you need a valid insurance certificate to get a tax disc, it only has to be valid on the day you get the disc, your cover may expire the next. A valid tax disc is no indication of insurance.

2. Yes, you should always keep track of payments coming out of your accounts, but how do you know that there getting put on the right account at the other end.

and finally, off topic this one..........So I get evicted through no fault of my own, but hey i'll get my place back in a few days, and I can claim some form of compensation.....great, in the meantime, where do I live, what do I wear. Where/what do I eat?

Anyway, i'm walking away from the thread now.

homealone
I know, everyone who wants to check whether their car is properly registered as insured can use the linked site to check - anyone who doesn't want to, well, just doesn't - it isn't compulsory. :shrug:

Personally just checking that I'm unlikely to be stopped as a result of an ANPR scan is worth a couple of clicks of the mouse, whether I should need to check, or not ????????????

- and reassuringly our car is on the database :tu:

shawty
10-04-2008, 20:52
1. Yes you need a valid insurance certificate to get a tax disc, it only has to be valid on the day you get the disc, your cover may expire the next. A valid tax disc is no indication of insurance.

2. Yes, you should always keep track of payments coming out of your accounts, but how do you know that there getting put on the right account at the other end.

and finally, off topic this one..........So I get evicted through no fault of my own, but hey i'll get my place back in a few days, and I can claim some form of compensation.....great, in the meantime, where do I live, what do I wear. Where/what do I eat?

Anyway, i'm walking away from the thread now.

And as Ive said all along from my first post in here, if you are legit and its the problem with the insurance company, your insurance would still stand as you have evidence to prove that you thought you had valid insurance.

LSainsbury
10-04-2008, 21:04
Thing is with this database, like other databases it's just a part copy of a database from the provider (DVLA in this case?) - which begs the question - how up to date is the information?

This data contained in this snapshot was only up to date the moment is was extracted.

As regular forum members know, I moved recently and whilst changing my address for various documents, I went to change my address for a particular document (I forget what this was now), but I couldn't do this online because the postcode wasn't recognised so I had to phone the company concerned.

When I asked how long it would take the online address change system to recognise my new postcode I was expecting an answer something along the lines of a week or two or three before it would be recognised....no such luck...synchronisation / updates every six months!

Sorry - rant over / back to topic!

SIX months? Come on - how long does it take to re-import an address database using todays technology?!! I'm not expecting this stuff to be synced up to the minute, but six months is taking the mickey!!

homealone
10-04-2008, 21:13
And as Ive said all along from my first post in here, if you are legit and its the problem with the insurance company, your insurance would still stand as you have evidence to prove that you thought you had valid insurance.

The point is that the ANPR database may not tally with the Insurance company records, no-one is arguing whether you are actually insured, just that the linked site is a way to check that the record has been correctly entered on the central database that feeds the ANPR records used by the police.

Checking my details took less than 30 seconds, I'm puzzled why you think such a service is a bad idea??

shawty
10-04-2008, 21:18
The point is that the ANPR database may not tally with the Insurance company records, no-one is arguing whether you are actually insured, just that the linked site is a way to check that the record has been correctly entered on the central database that feeds the ANPR records used by the police.

Checking my details took less than 30 seconds, I'm puzzled why you think such a service is a bad idea??

And thats where you have been mis reading something. I have never said such a thing.

I was replying to Xaccers by saying if you had the insurance certificate then you would be covered anyway. I wasnt saying anything about the website, all though Im guessing people are going to be using it for reasosn they shouldnt.

homealone
10-04-2008, 21:28
And thats where you have been mis reading something. I have never said such a thing.

I was replying to Xaccers by saying if you had the insurance certificate then you would be covered anyway. I wasnt saying anything about the website, all though Im guessing people are going to be using it for reasosn they shouldnt.

Are you deliberately mis-understanding?

The insurance certificate has no correlation with the database - please google ANPR to find out more about the point people are making

If you aren't commenting on the database, then you aren't replying to the topic - but some examples on how a simple lookup could be used for 'reasons they shouldn't' might be interesting ....

- what does it say about your car?

Wicked_and_Crazy
10-04-2008, 21:28

ugh, it would be on the schedule it it was wrong:confused:

All they are doing on the site is going to the DVLA to get the car details and the ABI to see if it has valid insurance.

Its total rubbish anyhow, what if i have a car that is unisured, but because i own the car and have a fully comp policy i can drive the other car third party only on the fully comp policy

Xaccers
10-04-2008, 21:30

As Jon has mentioned, you can get in the situation where you have a certificate, payments are going from you to the insurance company, but their system doesn't record them against you, so they've cancelled your insurance.
That bit of paper is now worthless, you're nicked, your car is confiscated.

Now, if you'd done your own check and it came back saying you weren't insured, you'd be straight onto your insurance company right? Sort out the mess, and be sure you're covered.

So, I'll ask you again, would you prefer to find out your insurance has been screwed up and you're not covered at the side of the road with a policeman, or at home infront of a computer?

Wicked_and_Crazy
10-04-2008, 21:32
As Jon has mentioned, you can get in the situation where you have a certificate, payments are going from you to the insurance company, but their system doesn't record them against you, so they've cancelled your insurance.

Not true, if you can prove you are paying the requested premium and the insurer has cocked up you are still covered. I beleive they have to notify you that the cover has ceased and surely you would question it at that point.

shawty
10-04-2008, 21:34
Are you deliberately mis-understanding?

The insurance certificate has no correlation with the database - please google ANPR to find out more about the point people are making

If you aren't commenting on the database, then you aren't replying to the topic - but some examples on how a simple lookup could be used for 'reasons they shouldn't' might be interesting ....

- what does it say about your car?

I was replying to someone who said if you have a insurance certificate. Im not mis understanding anything. I was simply stating if you have a insurance certificate, all things being legit on your end, then you would be covered as it would not be your fault.

---------- Post added at 21:34 ---------- Previous post was at 21:32 ----------

Now, if you'd done your own check and it came back saying you weren't insured, you'd be straight onto your insurance company right? Sort out the mess, and be sure you're covered.

So, I'll ask you again, would you prefer to find out your insurance has been screwed up and you're not covered at the side of the road with a policeman, or at home infront of a computer?

Ill forget the last bit as that wasnt my point. My point was your first bit, if they have screwed up, you can prove it. That was my whole point.

homealone
10-04-2008, 21:45
I was replying to someone who said if you have a insurance certificate. Im not mis understanding anything. I was simply stating if you have a insurance certificate, all things being legit on your end, then you would be covered as it would not be your fault.

This isn't about insurance certificates, it is about the central database - I've not seen any evidence in your posts that you haven't misunderstood that - and you have avoided the questions about 'reasons they shouldn't' & what the site says about your vehicle??

shawty
10-04-2008, 22:02
This isn't about insurance certificates, it is about the central database - I've not seen any evidence in your posts that you haven't misunderstood that - and you have avoided the questions about 'reasons they shouldn't' & what the site says about your vehicle??

It was when someone mentioned them. I carried that on to state that if you recieve one then you will be covered.

If it means that much to people, it has already been stated why this website might not work properly, a quick telephone call to the insurance company would gain the same or better results.

Mick
10-04-2008, 22:07
If it means that much to people, it has already been stated why this website might not work properly, a quick telephone call to the insurance company would gain the same or better results.

A quick call costing money say 4p to connect the call and then a further 10p per minute or even worse, if its a premium rate number, whilst you wait in a queue to be answered and then spend another minute or two going through the security checks.

Going to this site costs 0, zilch. Which is a lot better and quicker than the calling the insurance via the telephone route.

shawty
10-04-2008, 22:16
A quick call costing money say 4p to connect the call and then a further 10p per minute or even worse, if its a premium rate number, whilst you wait in a queue to be answered and then spend another minute or two going through the security checks.

Going to this site costs 0, zilch. Which is a lot better and quicker than the calling the insurance via the telephone route.

But then again, there has reasons already been given by other members on potentially why the system might not work. My point being, if people are worried that much to check if they are still insured, a call to the insurance company would be best.

homealone
10-04-2008, 22:23
It was when someone mentioned them. I carried that on to state that if you recieve one then you will be covered.

I'm not saying that an insurance certificate isn't evidence of cover, the point is whether your insurance company has properly updated the central database - which the linked site allows you to check.

I still don't understand why you have a problem with that - did you look up ANPR?

And you have also avoided my other questions?

Mick
10-04-2008, 22:25
But then again, there has reasons already been given by other members on potentially why the system might not work. My point being, if people are worried that much to check if they are still insured, a call to the insurance company would be best.

It would if I was querying anything to do with my policy with my insurance company. But with this site - I want to check if I am on the database that the Police use to verify insured drivers.

homealone
10-04-2008, 22:27

That is the whole point - if the insurance company has not properly updated the central database then an ANPR check will still catch you, even if it will 'eventually' be sorted out.

It isn't about whether you are or are not insured, but whether the Insurance Company has updated the database - which the linked site allows you to check..

Say you got stopped at 3am - how would you suggest phoning the Insurance Company would help, then?

Wicked_and_Crazy
10-04-2008, 22:37
That is the whole point - if the insurance company has not properly updated the central database then an ANPR check will still catch you, even if it will 'eventually' be sorted out.

Based upon a recent experience in working on a IT project with many external interfaces with a large bank who are a provider of car insurance i would say there is a good chance of that happening!!

homealone
10-04-2008, 23:03
Based upon a recent experience in working on a IT project with many external interfaces with a large bank who are a provider of car insurance i would say there is a good chance of that happening!!

Thanks, nice to have a 'real world' reply, rather than one from eiderdown land up the faraway tree :tu:

shawty
10-04-2008, 23:30
I'm not saying that an insurance certificate isn't evidence of cover, the point is whether your insurance company has properly updated the central database - which the linked site allows you to check.

I still don't understand why you have a problem with that - did you look up ANPR?

And you have also avoided my other questions?

I think your mistaken me with someone else? I have never had a problem with it. The whole point of me posting in this thread was to say if you have a insurance certificate, then you will be covered, this was in reposne to someone on this thread. The questions put to me, I have answered related to the point I was making, any other I havent because they were questions not related to what I was talking about in reply to someone else.

Wicked_and_Crazy
10-04-2008, 23:34
The whole point of me posting in this thread was to say if you have a insurance certificate, then you will be covered,

Rubbish

1. You could have stopped paying a monthly Premium
2. The MOT may have expired since
3. The Insurer could have asked for the certifcate back which you havent sent
4. Do i need to go on???

The paper certificate is an almost redundant document and is certainly meaningless

homealone
10-04-2008, 23:38
I think your mistaken me with someone else? I have never had a problem with it. The whole point of me posting in this thread was to say if you have a insurance certificate, then you will be covered, this was in reposne to someone on this thread. The questions put to me, I have answered related to the point I was making, any other I havent because they were questions not related to what I was talking about in reply to someone else.

As I said, this thread is is NOT about insurance certificates, it is about the central database - you can wriggle all you like but an excuse of replying to off topic comments won't wash - answer the question, what did your cars details return from the link?

shawty
10-04-2008, 23:48
Rubbish

1. You could have stopped paying a monthly Premium
2. The MOT may have expired since
3. The Insurer could have asked for the certifcate back which you havent sent
4. Do i need to go on???

The paper certificate is an almost redundant document and is certainly meaningless

If you had read the whole thread instead of jumping, you would realise on many occasions I have stated that you would be covered if all things are legit on your side, like

1)You havent stopped paying the monthly payment
2)The MOT hasnt expired
3)You have recivied no such phonecall or letter stating they want it back
4) Not really, as you cant have read my previous posts properly.

In the real world, how many people and lets be honest here, are going to use this more than once for there own car and how many times for other cars. What you have to remember is, how many people is this site known to, how many people need to check because they are still paying monthly, how many people will need to check because they havent recieved anything stating their insurance is invalid etc. All you have to do is look at the thread title which is " Is that car insured??"

This was not the point in me posting on this thread though, it was in relation to the insurance certificate and all things legit on your side, you would still be covered, lets be honest here, how many people when driving to work/airport/school/shops think, arghhh I wondered if my insurance is still valid.

I have nothing against this site, if people want to use it, they will use it.

---------- Post added at 23:48 ---------- Previous post was at 23:43 ----------

As I said, this thread is is NOT about insurance certificates, it is about the central database - you can wriggle all you like but an excuse of replying to off topic comments won't wash - answer the question, what did your cars details return from the link?

Firstly, it wasnt off topic as such, it was in reply to someone that had posted about insurance certificates. I replied, if you dont like that answer complain to the relevant people. Also what would answeing that last question bring to this debate? It would either be a) its wrong or b) its right, regardless of which it is, the information is usless to you.

homealone
10-04-2008, 23:56
If you had read the whole thread instead of jumping, you would realise on many occasions I have stated that you would be covered if all things are legit on your side, like

1)You havent stopped paying the monthly payment
2)The MOT hasnt expired
3)You have recivied no such phonecall or letter stating they want it back
4) Not really, as you cant have read my previous posts properly.

In the real world, how many people and lets be honest here, are going to use this more than once for there own car and how many times for other cars. What you have to remember is, how many people is this site known to, how many people need to check because they are still paying monthly, how many people will need to check because they havent recieved anything stating their insurance is invalid etc. All you have to do is look at the thread title which is " Is that car insured??"

This was not the point in me posting on this thread though, it was in relation to the insurance certificate and all things legit on your side, you would still be covered, lets be honest here, how many people when driving to work/airport/school/shops think, arghhh I wondered if my insurance is still valid.

I have nothing against this site, if people want to use it, they will use it.

---------- Post added at 23:48 ---------- Previous post was at 23:43 ----------

Firstly, it wasnt off topic as such, it was in reply to someone that had posted about insurance certificates. I replied, if you dont like that answer complain to the relevant people. Also what would answeing that last question bring to this debate? It would either be a) its wrong or b) its right, regardless of which it is, the information is usless to you.

goodbye shawty, you are going on my ignore list, as you refuse to address the questions posed during the debate, there is no point in your input, in my opinion.

danielf
10-04-2008, 23:58
:zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

shawty
11-04-2008, 00:06
goodbye shawty, you are going on my ignore list, as you refuse to address the questions posed during the debate, there is no point in your input, in my opinion.

Oh very sensible. I have answered the questions put to me on what I was talking about. Wether you want to know wether my car is on the list or not is not relevant to you what so ever and as such is personal information.

homealone
11-04-2008, 00:37
I am going to drive over 250 miles today, it is nice to know that any ANPR enabled police cars will not be stopping me due to an database error - although my holiday has a fairly flexible check-in, any delay might result in, literally, the boat sailing without us.

Thanks for the link which gave me that confidence :tu:

Caff
11-04-2008, 01:48
Well - I put what I thought was my registration in (heck the thing's darkish metallic grey and I have to put unleaded in: what else do I need to know?) and ended up with an uninsured Kia's details...:D

Anyhow, after a check of what my reg is, I got my make, model etc, and 'insured' status confirmed but what really surprised me was - it was so quick!

(Hope it's a good vacation Homealone - a safe and very pleasant journey)

Nidge
11-04-2008, 08:21
Jesus I only posted it to help people out and not to provoke a slaging match:shocked::shocked:

Jon T
11-04-2008, 08:38
Jesus I only posted it to help people out and not to provoke a slaging match:shocked::shocked:

In my mind it's a possible early alert for someone find out that their insurance may not be valid. If the database is wrong, it's wrong. VM postcode database of servicable properties almost certainly contains more errors.

I don't dont why it's caused the debate it has, it's an individuals choice if they want to use it or not.

Anyway, and no insult or offence intended to the mods/admins on this, but i'd close this thread if I had my way.

Nidge
11-04-2008, 09:12
In my mind it's a possible early alert for someone find out that their insurance may not be valid. If the database is wrong, it's wrong. VM postcode database of servicable properties almost certainly contains more errors.

I don't dont why it's caused the debate it has, it's an individuals choice if they want to use it or not.

Anyway, and no insult or offence intended to the mods/admins on this, but i'd close this thread if I had my way.

Hi Jon, looking through the thread I see you've been subjected to a little abuse (if you can call it that). When I was given the link I thought I know a great site that will benefit from this so I posted the link on here, if I knew it was going to provoke a slagging match I wouldn't have bothered. You just can't help some people Jon, like you mentioned further up the thread a certain poster is always nit picking, if he wants to be like that then sobit leave him to it mate, it's people like him who give forums like this a bad name.

LSainsbury
11-04-2008, 09:42

Thanks for posting it Nidge.

BTW - How are you? Hope you are keeping well. :)

Wicked_and_Crazy
11-04-2008, 09:58

Trouble maker :D

Jules
11-04-2008, 12:38
Just out of interest how many people keep their documents or photo copies of them in their car?

I don't as I am scared of my car be broken into and them used for god knows what, should I start keeping copies of them in the car or not?

Graham M
11-04-2008, 12:40
Just out of interest how many people keep their documents or photo copies of them in their car?

I don't as I am scared of my car be broken into and them used for god knows what, should I start keeping copies of them in the car or not?

Nope mine stays with my vehicle documents wallet indoors

LSainsbury
11-04-2008, 12:46
I only keep my driving licence part 1 (photo card) with me - rest is kept indoors. If you are stopped, you are given a producer which gives you 14 days to show your documents at a nominated police station.

Jules
11-04-2008, 12:51
Seems that I am not being daft not keeping them or copies of them in the car then, Thank you :)

LSainsbury
11-04-2008, 13:06
Nope - you're not. I don't even keep CD's in my car...well I do - but the are copies - not the originals.

Xaccers
11-04-2008, 13:28
Seems that I am not being daft not keeping them or copies of them in the car then, Thank you :)

I've got mine in my car, but that's only because I've not gotten round to putting them away indoors since renewing my tax.

Nidge
11-04-2008, 15:47
Thanks for posting it Nidge.

BTW - How are you? Hope you are keeping well. :)

I'm fine mate thanks for asking, I'm looking at things in a positive manner now.

---------- Post added at 15:47 ---------- Previous post was at 15:45 ----------

I never keep anything like that in the car, if you car gets stolen they have a licence to print money.

Wicked_and_Crazy
11-04-2008, 15:59
I never keep anything like that in the car, if you car gets stolen they have a licence to print money.

Same here

Escapee
11-04-2008, 18:05
Try This to find out. (http://www.askmid.com/askmid.aspx)

Flawed System!

I looked at this out of interest a couple of months ago when it was mentioned in Auto Express. The vehicle I had purchased about 6 weeks previously and not yet insured because I was repairing it was listed as insured.
Another vehicle which I had given to my father but I had not bothered to cancel the insurance was also listed as insured, even though he had sent off the V5 in his name and I no longer had the vehicle.

The latet craze around here for the gypsies is to hang around the scrapyard, certainly during the last week of each month when someone drives up to the gates with a car to scrap that is taxed and MOT'd until at least the end of the month they offer a tenner more than the scrapyard pays. They are then able to tear around in said vehicle that appears legal on any checks for a few days, and in the process they have some fun with the revenue generating cameras before taking the car to the scrapyard.

Anyone who is scrapping a vehicle should be aware of this to save any possible hassle for the extra tenner offered.

papa smurf
11-04-2008, 18:16
Flawed System!

I looked at this out of interest a couple of months ago when it was mentioned in Auto Express. The vehicle I had purchased about 6 weeks previously and not yet insured because I was repairing it was listed as insured.
Another vehicle which I had given to my father but I had not bothered to cancel the insurance was also listed as insured, even though he had sent off the V5 in his name and I no longer had the vehicle.

The latet craze around here for the gypsies is to hang around the scrapyard, certainly during the last week of each month when someone drives up to the gates with a car to scrap that is taxed and MOT'd until at least the end of the month they offer a tenner more than the scrapyard pays. They are then able to tear around in said vehicle that appears legal on any checks for a few days, and in the process they have some fun with the revenue generating cameras before taking the car to the scrapyard.

Anyone who is scrapping a vehicle should be aware of this to save any possible hassle for the extra tenner offered.

note to self DONT TRUST GYPSIES ;)

Escapee
11-04-2008, 18:45
note to self DONT TRUST GYPSIES ;)

Found out about this locally last month, I gave my old car to my father and he took his old fiesta to the scrapyard. When he got to the scrapyard he was surrounded by some teenagers asking questions about Tax and MOT, who promptly offered £70, which was £10 more than the scaryard pays.

My father declined the offer and the scrapyard owner who we know fairly well then told him these were from the local gypsie camp. He is quite aware of who they are because they take scrap in on a regular basis and previous car owners who have sold scrap cars to them at the gates have received multiple summons for exceeding the speed limit at camera locations.

They obviously get some fun out of a car for a few days and only loose £10 for the privelidge.

Nidge
11-04-2008, 19:31
Found out about this locally last month, I gave my old car to my father and he took his old fiesta to the scrapyard. When he got to the scrapyard he was surrounded by some teenagers asking questions about Tax and MOT, who promptly offered £70, which was £10 more than the scaryard pays.

My father declined the offer and the scrapyard owner who we know fairly well then told him these were from the local gypsie camp. He is quite aware of who they are because they take scrap in on a regular basis and previous car owners who have sold scrap cars to them at the gates have received multiple summons for exceeding the speed limit at camera locations.

They obviously get some fun out of a car for a few days and only loose £10 for the privelidge.

Don't trust Pikeys:D

multiskilled
12-04-2008, 15:18
Wish I knew about this site a year ago. Got pulled over in a company van, as it showed up as uninsured on the ANPR. Luckily the copper believed me (must have an honest face) Didn't even do any checks. Found out later that a few other guys had been stopped,whilst the insurance company were busy updating the data base.