PDA

View Full Version : new pc wont connect

smcd
09-04-2008, 22:01
I have virgin broadband from a set top box via a crossover adapter and ethernet connection. It works fine on my old PC (XP). But It wont work on my new one (vista). Im something of a simpleton with regard to this sort of stuff so I would appreciate any suggestions. I ve unplugged the set top box rebooted the pc etc but no joy. Ive used the original NTL installer CD and added the new pc to the account but thats as far as it goes. What dya reckon....

thanks

Simon

frogstamper
09-04-2008, 22:10
I have virgin broadband from a set top box via a crossover adapter and ethernet connection. It works fine on my old PC (XP). But It wont work on my new one (vista). Im something of a simpleton with regard to this sort of stuff so I would appreciate any suggestions. I ve unplugged the set top box rebooted the pc etc but no joy. Ive used the original NTL installer CD and added the new pc to the account but thats as far as it goes. What dya reckon....

thanks

Simon

Well Simon from one simpleton to another,;) when I got my VM BB the set up cd they gave out at the time, about 4 months ago, wasn't compatible with Vista. Ring the BB support line and tell them you have Vista, when I did this they gave me a number to enter and within minuets I was on line, they told me this was common with Vista.

PS I know ringing VM in India is normally a thankless task but they did handle this with ease, anyway hope this helps.

PPS Welcome to CF.:welcome:

smcd
09-04-2008, 22:15
Actually I have already spoken to them twice. They had me type in start ntl on the ie adress bar and it went throough the same process as the CD. After that they assured me that it was all fine from their end and I must have a problem. I did tell them that I was using Vista.

BenMcr
09-04-2008, 22:33
What password are you using with the PID?

The passwords are all now 1234

What usually works is:

Turn everything off
Hook up PC to STB
Turn STB on and wait for the online light
Turn PC on
Go to start.ntl and follow on screen instructions.
Turn everything off AGAIN
Turn PC on

smcd
09-04-2008, 23:06
Ive done exactly that several times, with that password but to no avail. Ill try again now and report back

BenMcr
09-04-2008, 23:09
And the PID number is 10 digits?

If it still doesn't work looks like you are going to have to swap to a modem connection. Sometimes the STB boxes just won't recognise new kit and there is nothing to fix it

dunno
09-04-2008, 23:17
m8 i just had the same problem with my acer laptop (as i said in another post) i phoned up acer and thay talked me through changing a few settings and then all was sorted.

so just phone the maker of ur pc and see if thay can help

whydoIneedatech
09-04-2008, 23:41
You need to check if the TCP/IP is enabled so go to Control panel> put to classic view and go to >Network and sharing centre>Manage network connections>right click on>Local area connection>click on properties>Click on TCP/IPv4 so it is highlighted> click on properties underneath> check that obtain an IP address has a dot in it the same for DNS server below> click ok close all boxes then try for the internet.

JadeFalcon
10-04-2008, 01:22
also, wont the modem pick up on the mac address change and not allow it for a certain time ?

can anybody correct me on this one plz :)

i know when i recently added a router to my system the modem picked up the mac change and gave me a totally new ip, had to clone the mac of the pc's nic to the routers mac so could get original ip back

the-cable-guy
10-04-2008, 01:49
i know it sounds obvious but have you installed your ethernet drivers ?

---------- Post added at 01:49 ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 ----------

also, wont the modem pick up on the mac address change and not allow it for a certain time ?

can anybody correct me on this one plz :)

it should do yes.

frogstamper
10-04-2008, 03:39
What password are you using with the PID?

The passwords are all now 1234

What usually works is:

Turn everything off
Hook up PC to STB
Turn PC on
Go to start.ntl and follow on screen instructions.
Turn everything off AGAIN
Turn PC on

Ben just a quick point, I thought VM were putting all their new inter-net connections through modems now because stbs cant cope with higher speeds, is that not the case?

whydoIneedatech
10-04-2008, 10:26
i know it sounds obvious but have you installed your ethernet drivers ?

---------- Post added at 01:49 ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 ----------

it should do yes.

Only USB requires drivers and they are on the install disk, but that does not work with Vista.

chickendippers
10-04-2008, 10:53
Yes, but the ethernet card in the computer requires drivers.

whydoIneedatech
10-04-2008, 12:14
Yes, but the ethernet card in the computer requires drivers.

Usually self install from PC though, delete the NIC restart PC, then new hardware found reinstall from PC.

BenMcr
10-04-2008, 12:17
Ben just a quick point, I thought VM were putting all their new inter-net connections through modems now because stbs cant cope with higher speeds, is that not the case?

They are but Virgin will still support STB broadband connections for existing customers. No-one who has it is being forced to change

the-cable-guy
10-04-2008, 13:51
Only USB requires drivers and they are on the install disk, but that does not work with Vista.

thats not true if i reinstall windows on my pc the internet wont work unless i reinstall ethernet drivers.

---------- Post added at 13:51 ---------- Previous post was at 13:49 ----------

Usually self install from PC though, delete the NIC restart PC, then new hardware found reinstall from PC.

to be fair it depends on what system you have. on my old laptop i dont need to install drivers, on my current pc (tower) i do or the internet wont work.

whydoIneedatech
10-04-2008, 16:42
thats not true if i reinstall windows on my pc the internet wont work unless i reinstall ethernet drivers.

to be fair it depends on what system you have. on my old laptop i dont need to install drivers, on my current pc (tower) i do or the internet wont work.

In the above one I was talking about the USB drivers and that the VM disk does not work with VISTA.

===================================

It is unusual that you need to install Ethernet drivers as they normally install direct from Windows, or you might have your own separately installed NIC card which specifically needs its own drivers.

the-cable-guy
11-04-2008, 06:14
you dont really need to use the VM disc but again it depends on what hardware you have.

Graham M
11-04-2008, 07:47
You dont actually need the VM disc unless the Modem is connected via USB, and even then you only need the USB drivers from said disc, not any of the annoying software, most discerning users should be using Ethernet now anyway

the-cable-guy
11-04-2008, 09:38
VM have said that all customers should move on to ethernet as USB is too unreliable.

whydoIneedatech
11-04-2008, 23:03
VM have said that all customers should move on to ethernet as USB is too unreliable.

Also on USB you will be lucky to get speeds above 5 meg.

the-cable-guy
11-04-2008, 23:40
yep so iv heard.