PDA

View Full Version : Belfast - Some sites not reachable

Code601
05-04-2008, 18:15
Hi all

Having some problems that only seems to affect a small number of sites.

cant connect to engadget or slashdot. and I have verified over irc that these are working.
Also cant connect to the irc on whatnet , it just says unable to resolve server.

Have tried rebooting the cable modem and router, but still cant get the sites. Anyone else having problems?

CaLeDee
05-04-2008, 18:26
Yes! I am having the exact same problem. I've been searching google all day thinking it was a problem with my router/system but reading this, I'm now thinking it must be something to do with Virgin Media. I hope it is and hope it will be resolved soon. Anyone know anything about why this is happening? Basically I just can't access many websites, maybe 40% load and the rest fail.

Edit: Also from Belfast. (Dundonald)

joemailey
05-04-2008, 18:32
I can't access the Internet at all on my line
currently posting this from my iPhone

Modem is running fine according to all lights on it.
it picks up the correct DNS n ip but I can't do anything. No surfing at all.

LokusT
05-04-2008, 18:43
Having the same problem here in Derry. Connected to the Belfast UBR so I'm going to guess it's affecting the entire country for VM customers. Doesn't appear to be a DNS problem as I've tried alternative servers. Virgin Media appears to be doing some sort of maintenance on their customer system, not sure if it's restricted to the region or if it even has any relation to the semi-outtage at all. This is occurring on a 20mbit line. Again something I don't know if it's at all related to the problem.

Just to give you an idea of some of the major sites that I'm having trouble with, I get partial and total errors when connecting to Amazon.co.uk and Betfair.com.

Anyone want to give VM a call for us? I only have a mobile and don't fancy paying the charges for the call so sorry for being a bit of a cheapskate :P

Chewits
05-04-2008, 18:51
Yes same here. I am having problems accessing some websites too! Cant access www.macrumors.com and some flash applications I was using yesterday are not working today aswell. Some websites are very slow.

Could this be to do with the upgrade to 10mb line? Im on a 4mb line here. I am goin on holiday 2morrow so I am not too bothered about getting it fixed. Just reporting :)

I also cant access www.speedtest.net or www.nin.com

sjdigital
05-04-2008, 19:17
Same story in the Stormont area of Belfast - no internet access at all but all lights on modem are as they should be. A call this morning to tech support revealed that they are having some unscheduled maintenance but no further info was available. They expected it to be fixed by 6.00 pm this evening but so far no luck.

Chewits
05-04-2008, 19:19
Cant access www.hotmail.com either :/

tweetypie/8
05-04-2008, 19:22
Same story in the Stormont area of Belfast - no internet access at all but all lights on modem are as they should be. A call this morning to tech support revealed that they are having some unscheduled maintenance but no further info was available. They expected it to be fixed by 6.00 pm this evening but so far no luck.
no joy here either,internet off most of the day pain in the a...

sparky01
05-04-2008, 19:50
newtownabbey area and im having the same sort of problems you guys are having only when i called them they said there was no issues their end tried 'talking me through some trouble shooting' but the whole time i knew it was their end as my aunt 3 doors down is having the exact same problems
oh well guess we will just have to wait
since virgin took over is it just me or is NTLs quality and service not been thrown out the window?
most the sites posted i can access though but i cant get onto unreal tournament servers (about 3/10 fail to connect)

andrew502
05-04-2008, 19:58
Same here in Belfast, I'm not able to reach even Virgin's DNS servers. A traceroute does take me some way into their network but not through the normal default gateway for Belfast.

You'd think there'd be some update on their website when its such a major outage.

dbeckett
05-04-2008, 20:08
im netwownabbey as well, same problems, either sites dont load or they take over a minute to open and im on 20mb at the minute

James79
05-04-2008, 20:14
Im in Newtownabbey too. For the past few days, Ive had nothing but complaints from family members in the house about the speed and failure to connect to websites!! (As if I can do anything about it!) Having been at work all week, I hadnt noticed any problems apart from a bit of a lag in loading some sites.

Today, I noticed the extent of the problem. Very slow to some websites and unable to connect to some sites. PS3 cant even log into the PS Network!

Now, according to this (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/schedule.html) site, the work of upgrading 4Mb users in NI to 10mb is scheduled for this month!! Perhaps, this is why we are having problems.

The optimist in me believes that the problems will vanish once the upgrade has been completed. However, my gut tells me it wont!!

I suppose if the problem doesnt improve - we know what we can do!

sjdigital
05-04-2008, 20:16
An amusing sidenote to the Belfast/NI problems.

We had been having problems for the last few days and after we called the tech line, Virgin decided to send an engineer out who came yesterday morning. By that stage, things were working again (obviously only temporarily!) but the amusing part was that the guy was quite nonplussed when my daughter produced her MacBook to hook up to the modem as he said he wasn't familiar with Mac OS, and was apparently totally amazed when she started it up in Windows. He didn't know that you could run Windows on a Mac - and this is one of their supposed 'engineers' who you would think should know about basic computer matters if they are coming to 'fix' things!

hoggy
05-04-2008, 20:41
[QUOTE=James79;34521759]Im in Newtownabbey too.

Ditto. Today's internet experience has been, well c**p. Some websites don't load, connection timed out in firefox, others are ok. IRC booting seems to be particularily popular also with me. :mad:

ETA. Traceroute hops 9 times and then stops, at ntl

cookie monster
05-04-2008, 20:54
Same problems here having problems on and off all day hopefully it will resolve itself sooner rather than later. really annoying:sleep:

jnm21
06-04-2008, 00:00
Same here in Belfast, I'm not able to reach even Virgin's DNS servers. A traceroute does take me some way into their network but not through the normal default gateway for Belfast.

You'd think there'd be some update on their website when its such a major outage.
There is a status update on their site - no Belfast outage ticket even on it! I can't even email them as they want every detail (last bill date & value, etc.) & I don't have the bill.

http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/?category=portal&app=status

CaLeDee
06-04-2008, 00:12
Everything is working fine for me now! They must have sorted it out :)

jnm21
06-04-2008, 00:55
Thank **** for that! My usage on my 3 dongle was rocketing round!

Have some rep CaLeDee for the info! (I assume this place works like HUKD on the rep front.)

mrsnooch
06-04-2008, 01:27
Atleast you guys have all been able to get on!! Mines been out since before I got up this morning and I've just returned home now...1:30am...and its working, so no idea when this started. I am in the BT8 area, around Four Winds.

I thought this was part of the upgrade progress, but alas I seem to still be on 4mb :( There is a ticket on the server status site, however it seems to only affect those registering for broadband.

Hmm...

Des
06-04-2008, 02:00
yeah, mine was down for well over 12 hours ...

seriously impacted the testing I was doing for my final year project ... ohh well

XEviLX
06-04-2008, 02:34
mine was down for 20 f****** hours its a joke will be onto them first thing monday, as for their bloody non uk call centre they will get to know what i think of them prats, its like talking to a wall

jnm21
06-04-2008, 02:38
I'm BT5 & my dad is BT6 - both were out for most of the day. Anyone reckonn there is any chance of service credit?

Fingy
06-04-2008, 07:33
WooHoo I am back online! BT10... very slow about 7:30am yesterday then totally died for the day. I had to do real life things! :shocked:

Not sure why you are all whinging about no updates, if you called the server status line the first announcment was about issues in Belfast and the surrounding areas all day. :shrug:

My Brother and BIL both out Lisburn direction were able to get on selected sites all day, seems to have only been a few post codes that were totally offline. :(

Anyway, thanks to the techs that got us back online, you may not know that windows boots on a mac... but you do know how to fix what you need to know.

As for a credit - no company can guarantee a fault free service and they are allowed 24 hours to fix a fault IIRC.

sjdigital
06-04-2008, 09:20
Anyway, thanks to the techs that got us back online, you may not know that windows boots on a mac... but you do know how to fix what you need to know.

As for a credit - no company can guarantee a fault free service and they are allowed 24 hours to fix a fault IIRC.

Agreed! These things happen and some guys' weekend got well messed up having to sort it out. I gather ours is back to full speed again at just under 4MB down and 378 up so I can get my daughter to hook up the Slingbox again (I didn't want it sitting there when the tech guy came) and watch the F1 race :)

spe@rmint
06-04-2008, 10:16
Not sure why you are all whinging about no updates, if you called the server status line the first announcment was about issues in Belfast and the surrounding areas all day. :shrug:

whats the number?

mine died after early morning slowness and was off for rest of the day, was doin my head in as i thought it was my set up, sometimes the computer acts up :mad:.

ah well seems to be back now.

XEviLX
06-04-2008, 10:30
whats the number?

mine died after early morning slowness and was off for rest of the day, was doin my head in as i thought it was my set up, sometimes the computer acts up :mad:.

you will find the number on ther back of your bill its 0800 561 0061

jnm21
06-04-2008, 12:01

Thanks for doing your job techs! Well done for taking over 12 hours to do it & giving us little info. A1 performance.

Nero182
06-04-2008, 13:40
Atleast you guys have all been able to get on!! Mines been out since before I got up this morning and I've just returned home now...1:30am...and its working, so no idea when this started. I am in the BT8 area, around Four Winds.

I thought this was part of the upgrade progress, but alas I seem to still be on 4mb :( There is a ticket on the server status site, however it seems to only affect those registering for broadband.

Hmm...

I am from the same area mate. And Yeh it was off all day to about 12.30 last night where I was waiting for it to come back :erm:

Seems good now though :)

LokusT
06-04-2008, 15:29
Glad to see most of you have your service back but I'm still having many troubles. Lots of time outs on many sites and partial loading errors all over the place. :(

sjdigital
06-04-2008, 15:42
Me too :( Having just watched the F1 race from afar via my Slingbox with a steady 378/380 kbs stream, the system is down again according to my daughter. Looks like the fix didn't work after all.

Azreal
06-04-2008, 15:44
Was back to normal until about 30 mins ago and now its doing the same as all day yesterday with intermittent connections and timeouts.

sjdigital
06-04-2008, 15:58
I guess this shows the disadvantage of going for the 'triple play' of phone, TV and internet that Virgin Media promote. When one is down, they're all down. Glad we use Sky for our TV and Talk Talk for our phone. :)

LokusT
06-04-2008, 16:07
I didn't even get a full fix for the whole period that it was working. www.betfair.com was still failing to load which is especially annoying since I couldn't place bets I would've won. Not much chance of me claiming it from VM as loss of earnings either I bet. Well.... I would bet, but you know....

Xachariah
06-04-2008, 16:42
My connection just completely tanked at precisely 4:19 while I was playing a game on Xbox Live. It was exactly the same all day saturday till about 1am. I'm on the 20MB service.

All the lights on the modem are fine, restarting the modem for 30 seconds and turning the computer on does nothing. It's definitely something wrong with their Belfast region as a number of locals I know on VM have the same problem.

Fix it already, I'm not paying 40 quid a month 'cause I enjoy doing it. Have to resort to using my phone to post this.

Edit: Heh, forgot to post my specific problem, I get nothing, 'Cannot connect to remote server', no sites whatsoever connect.

Plus while I was typing this edit it came back on so we'll see if it happens again.

mrsnooch
06-04-2008, 16:49
Ive just lost connection for about 10/15minutes there. Some sites worked after a while like hotmail and youtube, but everything was down. I have the majority working now, but facebook still wont work.

c0n0r
06-04-2008, 16:50
Its been up and down all day. Still can't get to some websites (Engadget, certain parts of the Guardian site, forums etc).

cookie monster
06-04-2008, 16:50
yeh internet just blanked out reset modem and router and it came back on thankfully. who knows could be upgradin to 10mb for the 4mb tier, it is april after all lol unlikely

mrsnooch
06-04-2008, 16:53
I noticed this on the Virgin Server Status site, doesn't give much info tho :(

Ticket
Ticket Number 683362
Time Stamp 06/04/2008 16:49
Priority P1
Status Opened
Department Outage Surveillence Team
Estimated Time Fix 20:30:07
Customers Affected Broadband Internet
Raised By Lee Griffiths
Postcode Areas BT
Placename Belfast
Detailed Description
Customers in the Belfast and surrounding areas may currently be experiencing a loss of their broadband Internet. Our engineers are now investigating this issue.

Virgin Media apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Virgin Media Technical Support

what?
06-04-2008, 17:04
hey, iv done a search on that ticket number in that post on our internal page

not a lot of info on exactly what was causing the issue but from what the logs on it are saying they seem to think the issue has been fixed as of 16:50 though the ticket has not been closed off yet so it would look as thoguh they're still keeping an eye on it/ still doing some work on it atm.

mrsnooch
06-04-2008, 17:09
hey, iv done a search on that ticket number in that post on our internal page

not a lot of info on exactly what was causing the issue but from what the logs on it are saying they seem to think the issue has been fixed as of 16:50 though the ticket has not been closed off yet so it would look as thoguh they're still keeping an eye on it/ still doing some work on it atm.

oh very good! thanks for that :) yeah mines still very slow, ive also found out that IMDB doesnt work for me either. think its of any connection to the 10mb upgrade??

showshifter
06-04-2008, 17:18
Hi you guys. my internet was down all day saturday and is around 1 meg today (sunday) and lots of sites still unreachable.

Seems like lots of you are looking forward to your speed being upped to 10megs. Don't be too excited, i'm on 20 megs and after 1pm in the afternoon it drops to around 1 meg every day and I know of others with excactly the same problem.

If you use the newsgroups take a look at the group virginmedia.support.broadband.cable and see the number of complaints there about spped issues.

dbeckett
06-04-2008, 18:24
my internet has messed up again, some websites not working again, ahwell thats virgin for you, quality gone down, prices gone up

what?
06-04-2008, 18:38
had a check up on the internal status page again

same problem has reoccured as of 18:13 according to status page

current ticket remedy number are F000683308 & F000683362
over 50000 customers thought to be affected by these issues atm

priority set to p1 (which basically means they're working on it and it'll be back asap)

Code601
06-04-2008, 19:09
had a check up on the internal status page again

same problem has reoccured as of 18:13 according to status page

current ticket remedy number are F000683308 & F000683362
over 50000 customers thought to be affected by these issues atm

priority set to p1 (which basically means they're working on it and it'll be back asap)

thank you for the info still having some problems here, But im glad i can still get on irc and gmail :D

one2escape
06-04-2008, 19:10
WWW bouncing online games laggy.

TazM
06-04-2008, 19:54
whats the number?

Dial 151 - was giving a recorded message from lunchtime yesterday to say there were Belfast problems. Once I heard that I stopped fiddling with my wireless router.

My access had been down totally all day and was back this morning, just there now it has started playing up again and only giving some sites !

XEviLX
06-04-2008, 20:03
same problems starting again bt13 area all this time to fix a problem its a bloody joke if it was mainland uk it would have been well fixed

TazM
06-04-2008, 20:08
I'm BT5 I should have said.

Funny thing is I know of one large organisation in the City Centre who have just switched onto Virgin infrastructure and their whole computer and phone system was down all day Friday, seems there are big problems around.

what?
06-04-2008, 21:11
same problems starting again bt13 area all this time to fix a problem its a bloody joke if it was mainland uk it would have been well fixed

doesnt make a difference, its staged to a p1 outage which is the highest priority on an outage. you'd be surprised at how long some problem take to fix in the mainland as many people on this forum will testify.

hope u get your problems sorted :tu:

LokusT
06-04-2008, 22:00
After the brief outtage just a moment ago, I appear for have full functionality again for the first time in nearly 48 hours. Finally...

XEviLX
06-04-2008, 22:04
same here in bt13 seem alot faster to

mrsnooch
06-04-2008, 22:18
ditto!

Albie
06-04-2008, 22:19
Smooth as an eel here too.

twshalo
06-04-2008, 22:55
bt16 - still cant get to sites and online gaming servers. :(
tried tracert cod4master.activision.com

Get to the 5th hop and it times out,

1 9 ms 30 ms 6 ms 10.143.84.1

2 10 ms 39 ms 6 ms blfs-t2cam1-a-v108.i

3 8 ms 5 ms 19 ms blfs-t2cam1-b-v99.in

4 281 ms 76 ms 83 ms blfs-t2core-b-ge-wan
9]
5 * * * Request timed out. etc etc

bn17311
07-04-2008, 09:19
bt4 still very very slow, phoned tech support to be told no problems in my area. then i came accross this thread

bn

TazM
07-04-2008, 09:41
Dial 151 - was giving a recorded message from lunchtime yesterday to say there were Belfast problems. Once I heard that I stopped fiddling with my wireless router.

My access had been down totally all day and was back this morning, just there now it has started playing up again and only giving some sites !

I just realised that dialing 151 and taking option 1 for broadband support then waiting for the service status message is the same as ringing that service 0800 number that someone quoted on the previous page

PeteTheMusicGuy
07-04-2008, 10:25
Mines was off from about 9pm to midnight ended up going to the pub so not too bad :)

sjdigital
07-04-2008, 10:33
I gather from my ladies back at home (BT4) that we are back on line with 4MB/378kbs.

sparky01
07-04-2008, 11:43
after nearly 48 hours also mine seems fine again
i might call and ask for compensation for a laugh lol

one2escape
07-04-2008, 13:58
Still funny here.

sjdigital
07-04-2008, 14:09
Still funny here.

And 'here' is where? BT4 was fine this morning according to the folks at home but when I called the info line out of curiosity they said that BT8 was still giving problems.

bn17311
07-04-2008, 15:14
still very poor in bt4 3pm

anything worth checking ? had my service since 2001 and once in a blue moon i have to reboot modem but other than that i dont touch anything

thanks
bn

c0n0r
07-04-2008, 17:56
BT14 still slow and some sites not responding at all :(

mrsnooch
07-04-2008, 19:11
BT8 seems quite good atm actually

one2escape
07-04-2008, 19:14
And 'here' is where? BT4 was fine this morning according to the folks at home but when I called the info line out of curiosity they said that BT8 was still giving problems.

BT37 very laggy

bn17311
07-04-2008, 20:44
bt4 on the go again

bn

PeteTheMusicGuy
08-04-2008, 11:17
BT11 all is good :) up till now