PDA

View Full Version : Real Ale, Beer & Lager Lovers

Arthurgray50@blu
05-04-2008, 17:56
I was going round my local Tesco's today, looking for a decent beer to drink for a Saturday night, And l noticed, that there is never a large amount of Beers from South of England or from the North. I used to drink real ale from Yorkshire, and also from the Dorset area, but now you can't buy it, it is mostly the usual Fosters, Carlsberg and Carling or Fullers, and a load of foriegn beers, l find it very strange, that you have some good beers from this country, but large supermarket chains choose to go abroad to get beers, beers that come to mind are Theakston XB, Emmerdale beer, & Cairns beers, l don't know what anybody thinks.:):)

DocDutch
05-04-2008, 17:58
arthur what you complaining about... my local tesco's serves up loads of Ale's and bitters. it has 2 stands of ales/bitter and 1 of Cider and okay it does stock your usual lagers as they are drunk alot more now then your good ol English Ale

Taf
05-04-2008, 18:08
I wish that Brit Ale could be sold at a price that reflects the fact that it is not transported vast distances accross the globe. Even our local city brewery's ales are more expensive than beers that have travelled half the world to Tesco!

Arthurgray50@blu
05-04-2008, 18:28
Hi DocDutch, l certainly agree with you, that supermarkets sell the normal bitters and lagers, what l am saying is, that in your local supermarket does it sell beers/ales from Scotland, or from say Bristol, when l went to Cornwall, two years ago, l bought a lovelly beer called ' SMILES BITTER' l liked it so much l tried it to buy it, here in Middlesex, l couldn't, so l bought it via a courier, the company was later bought by Fullers, and they don't that beer anymore, l would like to buy a beer from your local brewery, for example, this is what l am referring to, there are some lovelly beers/ales that come from, say Bristol - Norfolk - Merseyside, there is a company here, called 'Real Ale' which does real ales and beers, from round the country, but it would be nice if supermarkets done the, in fact you can buy a Tennants lager from Glasgow, but that is the strong stuff, but they don't sell the normal Tennants Lager, which is lovelly.:)

punky
05-04-2008, 18:32
I wish that Brit Ale could be sold at a price that reflects the fact that it is not transported vast distances accross the globe. Even our local city brewery's ales are more expensive than beers that have travelled half the world to Tesco!

Yeah, but production costs are vastly smaller in other countries.

DocDutch
05-04-2008, 19:12
I know what you mean Arthur but thats the UK.... like has been said its cheaper to buy european beers then the english ale. and yes you cant find the "local" ales of say norfolk in north yorks and the ales from devon etc in the midlands.

wouldnt be feasable as it would be:

a. small breweries dont produce in vast enough quantities
b. if they did then how many lorries would there be on the road going from brewery to depot?

WHISTLED
05-04-2008, 19:17
Well every ASDA has loads of real ales so dont see a problem

Arthurgray50@blu
05-04-2008, 21:28
Hi Whistled, l agree with you, on what ales are sold in your local Asda, where ever you live, go in the store, and see if there are any brands, that come from farthest county, ie if you live up North, which has brilliant ales, see if they sell ales, from say Down South West, this is what l am saying, it is like Adnams beers, in our store, they sell just one brand, it has already been said in this thread, that it is cost etc, but small Breweries also sell beers and ales, it is like in Norwich, they sell a brand that has a Steam train on the label, and the ale is lovelly, this is all l am saying, depending on where you live, like if you lived in Newcastle, it would be Nookie (N.Brown ale) as l call it, and this is popular all over, 6X is a popular beer but you could only but this, down south, would you get it in Scotland, this is what l am saying, these supermarkets, should give small beweries a chance to sell there products, and give us a variety of beers/ales from the UK instead of flooding us with foriegn beers/ales, in our local ASDA, you can buy a can of Polish beer called TYSKIE, for 45p, l would love to hear from someone, that lives in the heart of Yorkshire, that can buy the same ale, from up north, that you can buy South West- over to you members.:)

WHISTLED
05-04-2008, 22:00
Sorry mate I have read that a few times and the only thing I have got is sore eyes..

I think your saying that If you live in Yorkshire you couldnt get many beers from down South??

Well my ASDA has, Spitfire which is from Kent, Summer Lightning from Shrewsbury, Bombardier which is from Bedford, Hobgoblin, Golliath etc which are from Oxfordshire, Marstons which is from Wolverhampton, Ncastle Brown, Mcewans which is from Edinburgh

keithwalton
06-04-2008, 01:26
My local big tesco stocks a wide range from all over the place, all of those that Whistled mentioned + others like ringwood, tanglefoot, london pride, old speckled hen the theakstons range etc, they used to be on a good deal for ages as well of any 4 ales for a fiver (or was it any 5 for £4 i cant remember!)

handyman
06-04-2008, 01:50
We have Booths supermarkets round here which stock hundreds of uk and foreign bottled beers.

Arthurgray50@blu
06-04-2008, 12:24
Well l think that is all, l have never heard of Ringwood, so the thread, has been exhausted. so therefore, l will have to think of something else, howabout Vodka, - good thread though, What's next, howabout the weather, bye, bye.

Cobbydaler
06-04-2008, 13:16
Ringwood Brewery (http://www.ringwoodbrewery.co.uk/) do some fantastic beers... :)

Stuart
06-04-2008, 14:10
Yeah, but production costs are vastly smaller in other countries.

It's also worth noting that the larger "foreign" brands of beer (Fosters, Castlemaine etc ) are brewed in the UK anyway.

Wicked_and_Crazy
06-04-2008, 14:21
Try Morrisons, they usually have a good selection, but then again all the supermarkets around here have a good selection

Cobbydaler
06-04-2008, 14:37
It's also worth noting that the larger "foreign" brands of beer (Fosters, Castlemaine etc ) are brewed in the UK anyway.

Mentioned in the same sentence as 'beer'? You're taking the... :p:

SMHarman
07-04-2008, 03:58
I wish that Brit Ale could be sold at a price that reflects the fact that it is not transported vast distances accross the globe. Even our local city brewery's ales are more expensive than beers that have travelled half the world to Tesco!Which ones have travelled half the world? Fosters is brewed by Courage, Red Stripe is brewed in Bedford, XXXX again brewed locally by inBev. Becks is one of the few still brewed where it should be. Didn't they move Newcastle Brown brewing out of Newcastle recently? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcastle_Brown Ah yes, in Aug 2005 it was moved to Gateshead.

Caff
07-04-2008, 04:17
For anyone in the Coventry area:

http://uk.geocities.com/covcamra/

... a shameless plug :D

Graham M
07-04-2008, 08:45
For anyone in the Coventry area:

http://uk.geocities.com/covcamra/

... a shameless plug :D

lol, could have at least NOT been a Geocities site :p:

Nugget
07-04-2008, 08:51
Mentioned in the same sentence as 'beer'? You're taking the... :p:

He's not taking it, but it does sound like he's drinking it ;)

Graham M
07-04-2008, 09:07
l have never heard of Ringwood

:shocking:

It's about half way between here (Poole) and Southampton just on the edge of the New Forest and can be reached from the A31 :)

Aragorn
07-04-2008, 09:15
Hogs Back Brewery (http://www.hogsback.co.uk/) is not too far from Middlesex (between Guildford & Farnham) and does some very nice real ale (TEA:drunk:). You can also buy online.