PDA

View Full Version : All in one router and modem - ADVICE please

EIGHTIESLAD
05-04-2008, 10:51
Hello

Just need some advice please:-

Currently have a Ntl cable modem NTL 250 and wireless router.
Im on Virgin X package at the moment

Wondered if i could get a all in one wireless router and modem?

Any help would be appreciated (with ideas )

Many thanks

Eightieslad

DocDutch
05-04-2008, 10:55
hey mate, unfortunatly not possible :( at least not on NTL.

there arent any wireless cable modem routers around or not that I know of and even if it would exist then you would have to ask NTL very kindly if you could use another modem on their network

Kymmy
05-04-2008, 12:57
Just to give a more open answer...

Your cable connection is keyed to the MAC address of the current modem, if the modem is swapped then it simply will not work unless VM register the new MAC address

VM will ONLY do this for thier own equipment so getting a new modem/router isn't worthwhile.....though possibly you could get a router/modem where you can change the MAC I would have added that this is against VM's T&C's but having just read them it does not say that but instead says 5. Where we have recommended equipment for use with the services and you chose not to take our recommendation, we cannot guarantee compatibility of the equipment or provide installation or ongoing support.

I think that cloning your own MAC onto a piece of equipement that you yourself will use instead of the original modem is a legal minefield and one that VM could always turn round and say goodbye and terminate your service if they happen to query the modem firmware/settings from thier end especially when there's so many illegally cloned modems out there doing damage to the levels of service. I personally think they'd cut the service than bother asking questions.

Kymmy

BenMcr
05-04-2008, 13:02
That part of the T&Cs would be more to do with things like wireless routers rather than the modem

Kymmy
05-04-2008, 13:07
That part of the T&Cs would be more to do with things like wireless routers rather than the modem

Yeah I did think about that but having read the T&C's fully there's nothing really relevant (mind you I am still half asleep)

I wonder if anyone else out there has cloned a MAC address for replacement usage only (i.e. to replace thier own modem on a valid and legal account to gain features such as routing)?????

Oh, one thing I should mention is that the NTL business modem (the 2050 which is a 255 with different firmware and the USB port) is capable of NAT operation so VM/NTL do offer this service though only on the business accounts.

Kymmy

MovedGoalPosts
05-04-2008, 13:19
The only devices that can be directly connected to the cable feed, is a Virgin Media supplied and subscribed modem or Set Top Box.

It is against the terms of service to connect anything else direct to the Virgin Media cable feed. Attempting to do so is thus classified as theft of services and illegal. Since you cannot legally "buy" your own modem and connect it, as that modem would not be subscribed (a few users in the very early days were able to do that, but that option has long since gone), you cannot clone the identity of other modems and connect that. This forum will not allow any discussion of modem cloning.

To return to the OP's question, as you have to use the Virgin Media supplied modem, that means that for cable, if you want a router, it has to be standalone and thus additional to the modem. That might not seem very green in terms of power use, but that is the way it is.

Kymmy
05-04-2008, 13:27
Cool Rob and thanks for the definative answer

Kymmy

whydoIneedatech
05-04-2008, 22:58
Yeah I did think about that but having read the T&C's fully there's nothing really relevant (mind you I am still half asleep)

I wonder if anyone else out there has cloned a MAC address for replacement usage only (i.e. to replace thier own modem on a valid and legal account to gain features such as routing)?????

Oh, one thing I should mention is that the NTL business modem (the 2050 which is a 255 with different firmware and the USB port) is capable of NAT operation so VM/NTL do offer this service though only on the business accounts.

Kymmy

If you get caught with an Illegally bought chipped or modded modem with a Cloned Mac address from a Virginmedia modem you face being banned from every ISP in the country without exception, plus you would be prosecuted.

Kymmy
06-04-2008, 09:59
If you get caught with an Illegally bought chipped or modded modem with a Cloned Mac address from a Virginmedia modem you face being banned from every ISP in the country without exception, plus you would be prosecuted.

Yep I totally agree, but my advice before ROb came in and said that the subject was taboo was whether a non-vm modem/router combo could be used with thier own paid for mac address....

Anyway The concensus for the original poster is stay within Virgins T&C's, use the supplied modem and combine that with a seperate router it's what the rest of us do....

Kymmy

Perhaps the mods should close this thread ;)

whydoIneedatech
06-04-2008, 10:24
Yep I totally agree, but my advice before ROb came in and said that the subject was taboo was whether a non-vm modem/router combo could be used with thier own paid for mac address....

Anyway The concensus for the original poster is stay within Virgins T&C's, use the supplied modem and combine that with a seperate router it's what the rest of us do....

Kymmy

Perhaps the mods should close this thread ;)

Agreed can the Mods close this thread please.