PDA

View Full Version : same speeds as before 20mb upgrade

BarnseyB
04-04-2008, 18:26
Wondered if anyone could help

I'm in ex- telewest area and have just upgraded my services today, TV's okay but my broadband is actually the same speed, if not worse than it was yesterday (upgraded from 2 to 20Mb)

I've tried ringing faults/customer services but am being answered by Indian call centre's who have done little to help and to be honest don't trust the information they are giving me

Rang tech support and am getting approx 256 Kb/sec (tested by downloading files fdrom the gamefiles.virginmedia.com site) although they tried to convince me I was getting up to 4Mb = rubbish)

During my many discussions with CS they said there may be a delay on hits and mentioned some kind of internal systems upgrade/amalgamation)

Anyone have any more info. Im in the Preston area? was installed at 1pm this afternoon. How long do hits normally take to go through?

tried powering down modem (motorola sb5100) and renewing ip etc to no avail. get this when logging onto router gateway address configuration page:

I'm not using a router btw

Downstream Value
Frequency 331000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 40 dB
Power Level -4 dB The

Upstream Value
Channel ID 3
Frequency 29200000 Hz Ranged

Power Level 32 dBmV

whydoIneedatech
04-04-2008, 19:09
All hits for EX-Telewest were affected from 9pm last night till at least 6pm this evening, if you called today you should have been told this and had your call charges refunded.

This is due to both EX-NTL and EX-Telewest platforms being aligned onto the same platform.

As everyone else says reboot your modem, just remove the power lead from the back at the bottom for about 5 seconds and re inserting, if you do not do this your modem cannot receive its upgraded DOCSIS file.

ceedee
04-04-2008, 20:11
In your modem config page, what is it showing as the connection speed?
I'm thinking that your upgrade may not yet have gone through because of the VM platform amalgamation.

(BTW are you aware that VM have been trialling non-standard STM times in Preston?
Not much other information I'm afraid, but several people have reported being STM'd before 4pm during previous weekends.)

whydoIneedatech
04-04-2008, 22:11
In your modem config page, what is it showing as the connection speed?
I'm thinking that your upgrade may not yet have gone through because of the VM platform amalgamation.

(BTW are you aware that VM have been trialling non-standard STM times in Preston?
Not much other information I'm afraid, but several people have reported being STM'd before 4pm during previous weekends.)

If you are talking about the Docsis file on the logs page the is a good chance it could be in the non numerical code such as on my own modem and I am on 20 meg.

To check speeds try http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

Not too bad and as accurate as any other speedtest, at least this one is UK based.