PDA

View Full Version : can anyone list a quick test guide ?

Berealwith
02-04-2008, 20:18
Hi can anyone in the know post a guide to test your cable ? ie step one virus check, spyware check, scan disc,reg clean, run a sfc /scannow, defrag, so that should be pc done. now testing the internet ping bbc.com, netstat -a, download 3 files from blueyonder.games. then ring and go through the same...

there must be an check list somewhere like the callcenters have i can see. does anyone have thier schmatic it would be really helpful ?

the reason i ask i have a tech ringing me up tomorrow and i really want to be on the ball i have already set up a PC will a pucka install of xp on that has not ever been on the net ?

any advice would be greatly welcomed cheers

whydoIneedatech
02-04-2008, 20:31
Hi can anyone in the know post a guide to test your cable ? ie step one virus check, spyware check, scan disc,reg clean, run a sfc /scannow, defrag, so that should be pc done. now testing the internet ping bbc.com, netstat -a, download 3 files from blueyonder.games. then ring and go through the same...

there must be an check list somewhere like the callcenters have i can see. does anyone have thier schmatic it would be really helpful ?

the reason i ask i have a tech ringing me up tomorrow and i really want to be on the ball i have already set up a PC will a pucka install of xp on that has not ever been on the net ?

any advice would be greatly welcomed cheers

The Technicians in the call centres have System tools incorporated into their systems which you being a member of the public have no access to.

You can download a utility like Samspade from the web it is even recommended on the PC World USA site http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,4709-order,1-page,1-c,alldownloads/description.html

ceedee
02-04-2008, 23:49
The only other thing I can think of that they might find useful will be your modem signal levels, in particular Downstream Received Power, Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR) and Upstream Transmit Power.

For directions try Annie's Broadband FAQ: "Where do I find my modem logs and signal levels? (http://a.myby.co.uk/broadband-faq.html#q07)"

Good luck with the phone call!

xspeedyx
03-04-2008, 21:20
I believe the adress for your modem is 192.168.100.1

Halcyon
03-04-2008, 21:27
I believe the adress for your modem is 192.168.100.1

Yep, that's right.

"root" for login and password.

Berealwith
04-04-2008, 00:25
cheers for the info i did get my call today..............after the said time of the call went and gone. i had to call to ask why i hadn't recieved my call as promised. was told did the operator who booked the call should say it could be 30mins later i allowed 23 mins. i was amazed anyway.... back on track the call went as expected really after months of calls to tech help and hours on the phone, i have to wait for my ubr to get an update, i have a date and thats for me to know, and you to ring and pester like i did if your having the same problems. so the conclusion if the date of the ubr and i will give it a week either way does not happen.........i will go elsewhere and then come on here and post the best letter i have ever written....lets hope it will get sortted

ceedee
04-04-2008, 00:53
Good luck, mate.
Hope things work out for you.

Berealwith
05-04-2008, 01:43
i have been reading most of the posts on the newsgroups ref virgin support, i have had my ticket on there for months. i check weekly how its doing, and get responces like as soon as we have any updates we will post, and i see so many like that. I never see any posted we have done ticket ******. what i do see is someone still asking hows, or any news on ticket ***** and the reply its been done..........What £$^&^%%$ me thinks if they had to ask they must still be having problems after the update, and why was this person not sent any info the work had been carried out.........THIS IS NOT GOOD, by any means its shoody and not how any company should be run...amateurish, and down right deceitful. Well i will see for myself after the work has been done on my UBR.

ceedee
05-04-2008, 07:12
I agree completely, Berealwith!

I've lost count of the number of times that somebody asks for a progress check on a ticket only to be told that the work has been done early so it's been closed but the performance of the UBR hasn't changed from the user's perspective.

Either the work that's been done is not fixing the problem or the tickets are being closed falsely.

And despite reading TS promises to post further information when it's available, I don't think I've yet seen anything like "Ticket nnn has been closed after UBR xxx has been upgraded..."!

I'm still trying to figure out how best to get this noticed in the newsgroups -- I'd like to see TS publishing more information but only if it's 'real' and don't want to make the staff into the bad guys.