PDA

View Full Version : Signal from modem stopped working through router(s) - help pls

ChinaCrisis
02-04-2008, 20:05
Hi all
I am a newbie here, so please be gentle! I suddenly got a problem which I have not encountered before, and it is baffling me. I have a Scientific Atlanta 2100 modem (a WebSTAR EPC2100R2) which Virgin Media installed in January after a workman dug up cables and blew something in the local Virgin junction box, which then made my previous modem go wonky. I send the signal to a Linksys BEFSR41 router, which is hooked up to Powerline plugs and sent round the house via the mains circuit. All has been working fine until this morning...
When I switched my PC on I could not get any access to the internet. So I plugged the PC ethernet cable directly into the modem and still nothing. A phone call to the Virgin Media Support bods finally sorted it, or so I thought. Having still been unable to get any signal through the modem, the support guy got me to type in ipconfig/all in the cmd box and it turned out the Default Gateway was blank.
So he got me to reboot everything, and hey presto it acquired the gateway address and I was able to connect to the internet. Until I tried going through the router. Even though I get a message in the task bar saying the Local Area Connection is connected, it is just not giving me any internet connection at all. Pinging the BBC website in the cmd box produces the response that it cannot find the host. I even switched to a different router, as I have a new Powerline router I plan to use in another room. I know it works as I have tested it at my sister's. But I get the same result - no internet connection.
I even tried swapping the ethernet cable from the modem to the router but it made no difference. Yet as soon as I bypass the router and go directly from the modem to the PC it works again!
I am not technical enough to work out what the problem is. Could it be the signal isn't strong enough for the routers? Or does anyone have any idea what it might be and how I can fix it? When I spoke to the Virgin guy this morning he admitted he didn't have a clue why the Default Gateway had been lost. I am loathe to call about this as I know they will tell me it is the router, which is what they said before when it turned out to be the local junction box. If they can blame anything but their own equipment they will.
I have the XL package, so I guess I am on the 20MB service. I did a test on Speedtest.net and it gave me these readings: https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/04/46.png (http://www.speedtest.net).
If anyone can shed light on what is happening and how to restore internet around the house I would appreciate it. So would my daughter and my wife. :)

Raistlin
02-04-2008, 20:08
Ok, try this to start with.....

1. :welcome:http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../images/smilies/welcome.gif

2. Turn everything off.

3. Plug the modem into the router via Ethernet, and then the router into your PC via Ethernet.

4. Turn the modem on.

5. Wait until the lights stop flashing madly.

6. Turn the router on.

7. Wait until the lights stop flashing madly.

8. Turn the PC on.

All should now work.

ChinaCrisis
02-04-2008, 22:15
Thanks Raistlin

OK, I managed to get it working via the Powerline router, but not with the Linksys one. The Link/Act light on the Linksys router kept flashing very fast the whole time, and just wouldn't connect.

Even the Powerline router's WAN light is flashing a lot, and it has dropped the signal once already. So it seems as though not all is quite as it should be.

I am still puzzled that the Linksys router should suddenly not work when it has been fine. No breakdowns at all in the last few months, not since the two-week problems I had with the Virgin junction box, which hit this whole area.

Is there a test I can try to see if the connection through the router is as good as direct from the modem?