PDA

View Full Version : Slow or timing out websites?

therock247uk
31-03-2008, 00:07
Anyone had/having this issue in the nottinghamshire area?

Abductee
31-03-2008, 13:01
Yes

I am in Nottingham

I have been having this problem since December 07. Initilally I was loosing pings to the internet so I moved the coax cable and modem on my desk and I dont loose pings any more. Web browsing is intermittent. Some days it works OK others I have to click a link several times over a period of minutes before the page loads. If I ping the website I get an instant response so it is WWW only. I have a wired SMC router with Linux and Windows machines running IE5, IE7 and Firefox browsers all have the same problem.

I have tried "auto detect proxy settings" and "direct connection to the internet" in my browser connection settings and it's the same both ways. I do wonder if this problem is related to the removal of the NTL proxies.

chickendippers
31-03-2008, 13:13
You could try webcache.virginmedia.com (I think that's right).

You need to remove the router and connect your modem directly to your computer; VM technical support will blame your router otherwise.

Abductee
31-03-2008, 23:56
Thanks, It works OK with webcache.virginmedia.com on port 8080. I dont know if it has solved the problem until I try it at a busy time.

If I swap the router I don't think another device will work for a couple of days because the DHCP is tied to my router MAC address.

Steve-o||[^]
02-04-2008, 18:54
If I swap the router I don't think another device will work for a couple of days because the DHCP is tied to my router MAC address.

Easily solved.

Power down your modem, switch out the router for the direct connection to your system.
On your system, release the current (router) IP.
Power up your modem, grab a beverage - I've noticed new DHCP requests take a while recently.
Back at your system, renew the IP.

On windows;
start > run: cmd [enter]
ipconfig /all
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
... (power up and wait)
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /all

bliss
02-04-2008, 20:27
I seem to be having this problem tonight too. Can't even access Logitech.com right now. :(