PDA

View Full Version : can't get access to internet!

noor
28-03-2008, 14:23
my friend is having problem getting access to internet, it all started when he tried to install a belkin wireless router, he couldn't install the router, so connected modem back to pc, but now having problems getting connected, could someone advise before contacting technical dept, and also his modem has a usb connected to pc aswell ethernet cable and on input cable it has a adapter connecting to modem, appreciate any replies:confused:

MovedGoalPosts
28-03-2008, 14:29
You can only use ethernet, or USB, not both at the same time. Only one device (router, or computer) can be connected direct to the modem at a time. When swapping from the USB to ethernet, or swapping the device connected the modem must be powered off.

noor
28-03-2008, 16:12
that's what i thought, i think the engineer installed it, could this be due to to weak cable signal, why does his modem have usb port and mine don't

MovedGoalPosts
28-03-2008, 16:36
The older modems have USB ports, later models don't since modern PCs invariably have dedicated networking cards that will perform better than USB. That's not to say there are necessarily problems just because a modem is an older model. Most older modems are still satisfactory.

The problem in contacting VM technical support is they will just clam up the moment they hear the word router. You will only get help there is the modem is directly connected to the PC.

I don't understand why the PC can't connect direct to the modem, if it was before :confused: How was it connected before and what has now changed?

noor
28-03-2008, 17:55
pc is connected to modem, when you try to open internet explorer it just fails, i think it says error, could be wires not being connected properly,

Hugh
28-03-2008, 18:13
It may be useful if you post the actual error message (after checking that all appropriate wires are connected properly).

MovedGoalPosts
28-03-2008, 18:23
OK, does the PC actually have a connection to the modem. Check network connections and the status of the connection. It should show an IP?

Are all the lights on the modem lit when the PC is connected?