PDA

View Full Version : Setup without using the CD

sherer
28-03-2008, 13:19
Hi

I'm just moving house of the weekend. I've already had BB installed but not tested it out yet. I've been given the CD but I think I can set this up without using the CD ?

I tried to do a search on the forum but CD is too short a word to search for :-(

Does anyone know is there already a FAQ I can just use to run through the setup process without the CD ?

I think I can just go to http://autostart and then register my PID

MovedGoalPosts
28-03-2008, 13:34
The CD was / is only needed if you insist on using USB for your connection.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/94/33602415-how-set-up-your-ntl-broadband.html

similar arrangements appky for the ex telewest area users.

Druchii
28-03-2008, 13:35
Hi

I'm just moving house of the weekend. I've already had BB installed but not tested it out yet. I've been given the CD but I think I can set this up without using the CD ?

I tried to do a search on the forum but CD is too short a word to search for :-(

Does anyone know is there already a FAQ I can just use to run through the setup process without the CD ?

I think I can just go to http://autostart and then register my PID
Yup, that's exactly how if you are using ethernet.

Halcyon
28-03-2008, 13:35
You are right you do not need the CD.

1. Turn everything off.

2. Plug all equipment together.

3. Switch on Modem. Wait for it to do it's auto self test. Aprrox 1 minute.

4. Turn on PC.

5. Fire up your browser and you should be directed to the registration page.

sherer
28-03-2008, 13:46
thanks for the info, i'll save the web page Rob linked to on my PC then if I need to I can just look at that.

i'm using an ethernet connection and not even using a router to start with so shouldn't be too much of a problem

BenMcr
28-03-2008, 14:00
Can I just point out that from the 6th of April for Area References 24,25,26,28 the modems will activated at install, which means unless you want to use Virgin e-mail it will be plug in and go (just like ex-tw)

From mid May the rest of ex-ntl modems will work the same way. Registration will still be required for STB broadband

Itshim
28-03-2008, 14:10
I setup a new PC last weekend. set it all up as above broad band did nothing!

O k I then put the CD in and started to run it. Guess what message came up to the effect you don`t need the CD to set up.Start set up now ? hit ok and away it went works fine. It took longer to setup E mail to way I like it than anything else!

sherer
28-03-2008, 14:13
i'm using a SACM seems it might just work straight away, I thought you still needed to put your PID in. Will just have to try it and see how it goes.

Just hope it isn't raining all weekend as if it is I won't be taking my PC through the rain and will have to get it another day

thanks alot to everyone for the advice

ceedee
28-03-2008, 15:45
Just hope it isn't raining all weekend as if it is I won't be taking my PC through the rain and will have to get it another day

CF Weekend Weather Forecast for London:

Saturday should be cloudy but dry and rather cold in the wind.
Chance of rain mid-evening.

Sunday should be a bit brighter but you're likely to see a light shower or two during the afternoon.

;)
hth

derek2032
28-03-2008, 22:12
The CD was / is only needed if you insist on using USB for your connection.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/94/33602415-how-set-up-your-ntl-broadband.html

similar arrangements appky for the ex telewest area users.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/7603-cable-modem-setup-without-broadjump-cd.html

This sticky is also very helpful used it two or three times now. Works a treat.
Hope it helps.
[oops! Just been rereading it. Looks like it's been cleaned up and re-posted]

whydoIneedatech
28-03-2008, 23:30
Can I just point out that from the 6th of April for Area References 24,25,26,28 the modems will activated at install, which means unless you want to use Virgin e-mail it will be plug in and go (just like ex-tw)

From mid May the rest of ex-ntl modems will work the same way. Registration will still be required for STB broadband

Ben you are forgetting about our good friends Quickstart who you need to ring up to activate your modem as in Ex-Telewest areas, not quite plug and play.

BenMcr
30-03-2008, 13:27
Oops yes.

I've never actually seen an ex-tw quickstart broadband account, so I apologise if it isn't forefront in my mind ;)

But then again any ex-ntl customers who have had a quickstart modem should be speaking to them already

Again in relation to quickstart accounts, the billing WILL now start 2 days after you get your modem, whether you have hooked it up or not.

sherer
30-03-2008, 14:52
just to let everyone know I plugged it in turned on the PC and it all started working without any problems at all.

Thanks to everyone for all the help, it did rain while I was moving PC so had to leave it in the car until it had stopped

ceedee
30-03-2008, 15:39
Thanks to everyone for all the help, it did rain while I was moving PC so had to leave it in the car until it had stopped

Y'know I was thinking of posting yesterday lunchtime to say "if you haven't moved it yet, you might want to leave it a few hours."
I blame it on a fast-moving front...

:dunce: