PDA

View Full Version : VM - Broadband XL - How long has this been £20p/m?

cougarric
27-03-2008, 20:43
I've been a vriginmedia broadband customer since they were called Force9 many moons ago. My current level is broadband XL and I am being charged £37 p/m for this.
Imagine my surprise when I saw that their price for this is currently £20p/m!
I am in the process of sorting this out with them, but I could do with some accurate information about how long they have been charging only £20. So if anyone could assist, it would be appreciated.

I might add, I am aware it's £37p/m for standalone XL, but when taken with a phone line it's £20p/m. I have always had the phone alongside the broadband.

indie1982
27-03-2008, 21:02
I saw that and rang them up to moan, she said that even though they advertise XL at £20 a month, that's a discounted price and she assured me that I'm paying less than that for what I actually get.

Can't moan, £31 for XL TV, V+ Box, V Box, L Phone and L Broadband.

slowcoach
27-03-2008, 21:51
The longer you have been with them the more they think they can stiff you and get away with it.
VM will charge as much as they can, long term loyal customers are seen as mugs.

All what matters is attracting new customers so that they can justify the millions spent on advertising, if that means giving new customers loss-leading deals, hey what the hell, at the next shareholders meeting they will be able to say that they signed up x new punters, doesn’t matter if they make a profit or not, just looks like they have at last turned the corner.

cougarric
27-03-2008, 22:42
I saw that and rang them up to moan, she said that even though they advertise XL at £20 a month, that's a discounted price and she assured me that I'm paying less than that for what I actually get.

Well I'm paying the £37 for XL, plus £11 telephone line rental. Their prices clearly state £20p/m for both. The only offer is for the first three months to be £10. No mention of it being for new customers or a discounted rate. Either way it's not on and I'm ringing to complain tomorrow and to recoup some of the money I've overpaid.
And as for their customer service. First I get a guy who doesn't speak english well enough for me to understand, then he can't help me so refers me to another premium line when I want to discuss recent technical faults. Premium line for their technical faults! FFS!
I'm disgusted with them. Since VM took over they have gone totally downhill. Anyone got any recommendations for a reliable and reasonably priced service provider?

indie1982
28-03-2008, 21:33
Technical Support has gone back to being free when calling from a Virgin Media line.

Did you ring them today, what did they say?

darkm
28-03-2008, 22:13
Just phoned VM the price for XL for existing customers is 29.00 permonth for the first 6months rising to £37 after that. What a joke. Im sure the prices will drop once the roll out for 50meg. Roll on the 4meg upgrade for belfast.

pk1209
28-03-2008, 23:07
This is pretty bad... been with NTL/Virgin for about 4 years and it's terrible when they stiff customers like this. In saying that i did get half price XL for 12 months a while back when i moaned a bit, but then, they've only successfully charged me half price about half the time since then!

£37 is starting to stand out as a high price for the service, i'm pretty sure it'll drop soon.

chickendippers
29-03-2008, 01:00
It's only £21/month for 3 months including a phone line, then £31 thereafter.

It's a special offer, companies do it all the time.

lostandconfused
29-03-2008, 08:02
IMHO your not getting 'stiffed' as a 'loyal' customer.

You agreed a price, and both parties have kept to those prices. If you want a newer offer then you would need to call in and request it. Most offers are available to existing customers as soon as they have requested it...

KathG
29-03-2008, 16:51
Hi

I have been with Ntl/Virginmedia for since way back. Till friday gone I only now had the XL broadband, paying the £37 a month.

After have seen the offers on there website for new customers I contacted customer support, and asked them what deal they would give me if I took the telephone. Have been paying BT an average of £43 a month.

Well they offered me XL broadband and free evening and weekend calls for £34.45 a month, with the first three months at £24.45. I have since changed the package to 24hr unlimited calls for approx £4.50 extra a month.

So after the first three months is over, I will be paying £38.95. for my 20meg broadband and 24hr unlimited calls which is approx £2 more than what i was paying just for broadband.

So all things going okay I will be happy

Regards
Kath

blenky
30-03-2008, 02:17
So to get this right.

XL BB is £37 for existing users.

For a new customer (ignoring the three months offer) its £20 if taken with phone (another £11)

In that case what's to stop anyone cancelling their service and then rejoining as a new customer to get the better rates?

Sput
31-03-2008, 22:33
So to get this right.

For a new customer (ignoring the three months offer) its £20 if taken with phone (another £11)

In that case what's to stop anyone cancelling their service and then rejoining as a new customer to get the better rates?

No need to cancel. I just phoned up and asked them to charge me the same rate as new customers and they agreed without hesitation.

BenMcr
31-03-2008, 22:35
So to get this right.

As long as you add the phone you can get it for £31. You just won't get the 3 month half price bit

colinsunderland
31-03-2008, 23:10
No need to cancel. I just phoned up and asked them to charge me the same rate as new customers and they agreed without hesitation.

When I rang customer service this morning (then put through to retentions) both advisors told me I was wrong and £20 + £11 wasn't on their website, even though I told them I was looking ta it while I was talking to them :confused:

blade85
01-04-2008, 01:24

seriously?? how did you manage that?

i pay £34 for TV L, normal V box, Phone L, BB L :confused::confused:

blenky
01-04-2008, 18:34
I've gone for what they call the 'Ultimate Triple'.

This is:
XL BB
XL TV with V+
Phone with free 24/7 UK landline calls

for £48 pm (£30 installation)

I'm happy with that

Noggo
12-04-2008, 16:45
Just wondering if any existing customers have spoken the VM about XL BB and M phone for £ 31.00 and got it for that price.

I've currently only got XL bb, so if I add the phone package I should get it at £ 31 / month. 5 months later on after install charges are paid for (£30) your £ 6 / month better off. Then at 12 months review the price and decide whether or not to keep the phone. Plus another £ 1 / month off if you sign up for paperless. wow BTs is £ 1.50 / month, they must use more paper and ink, naughty planet wreckers :D.

But currently there is no point in me ringing as I'm waiting for `capacity issues' to be resolved on the UBR I'm connected to and if it ain't fixed by the end of April I might be offski anyways, after my reduced line rental runs out for putting up with the problem for 6 months.

I can't believe I've waited this long, hey someone get a marker pen out and write `sucker' on me forehead when I'm sleeping will ya. In fact don't wait for me to go to sleep do it now, quick before I change my mind :).

BenMcr
12-04-2008, 17:05
Any existing XL BB customers adding phone will get the £31 bundle

Just as any existing BB M customers adding phone would get it for £20 (which is marketed as £9 BB M when you take the phone)

and any existing BB L customers adding phone would get it for £27 (Marketed as £16 BB L when you take the phone)

ze0n
12-04-2008, 23:04
I've gone for what they call the 'Ultimate Triple'.

This is:
XL BB
XL TV with V+
Phone with free 24/7 UK landline calls

for £48 pm (£30 installation)

I'm happy with that

Isn't that the same as VIP @ £85? :confused: