PDA

View Full Version : Some Advice

Welshchris
25-03-2008, 18:13
Ive been chatting to Virgin Medias Chief Execs office cos i have a lot of problems concerning my connection and he has now stated that the problems were down to over subscription and yet the upgrades to the UBRs have been completed...

The Problem is i STILL have the same problems, which are page time outs on 2 browsers being Firefox 2 and IE and i get a lot of these, slow downloads usually about 210k in daytime and around 300k at night. When i try and do a speedtest from somewhere like Speedtest.net i get between 100 - 105ms ping and thats it, the test dont run.

What i also find weird is on my VM Samsung TV box throughout the night after i have turned off the box one of the lights come back on and its happening EVERY night.

I have a technician booked for Friday but this has been going on since Last November, so can anyone shed any light on this or recommend any questions i should ask.

ceedee
25-03-2008, 19:33
I wonder what the chances are that the stb has been misbehaving and destroying your broadband connection?
Sounds too simple, no?
But after lately hearing tales of illegal modems affecting BB users along an entire street and an RF-producing tv messing with an area's ADSL signal, nothing is impossible...

If the tech on Friday has been properly briefed, I expect they'll come ready to replace everything you've got.
And don't let them leave until they can demonstrate that you've got a reasonable connection!

Really hope they sort it out for you, at last!

Welshchris
25-03-2008, 21:56
well i hope they sort it thing is i dont know when or if the connection is gonna be able to be used as its so inconsistant.

All i want is the service i pay for and reliability at the end of the day.

The other thing i forgot to mention in the previous post is the STB also turns itself over, when i say that i mean that the Channel Guide comes on, it skips through the channels and randomly changes the channel.

cleshe
25-03-2008, 23:49
well i hope they sort it thing is i dont know when or if the connection is gonna be able to be used as its so inconsistant.

All i want is the service i pay for and reliability at the end of the day.

The other thing i forgot to mention in the previous post is the STB also turns itself over, when i say that i mean that the Channel Guide comes on, it skips through the channels and randomly changes the channel.

I know this will sound daft, but have you got energy saving light bulbs in the room in question?Or a florescent tube? Either can cause the sort of problems you mention ( the switching channels or switching off randomly bit)according to something I was watching on tele two or three weeks ago.A vicar on that program had exactly the faults you are complaining of.
Putting in ordinary light bulbs cured his.Don't expect it will cure your internet problems though!

Cerberus
26-03-2008, 00:03

It's not Fred is it, you know the usual household ghost everyone has called Fred?

I hope you get your problems sorted. I am waiting for my UBR to be upgraded on 28th April 2008. If it's not done by then, I will be asking why and writing to the exec's office.

chickendippers
26-03-2008, 01:24
We have florescent tubes and energy saving bulbs in our lounge and have never had any problems with any of the boxes we've had: Ye olde analogue box, 1st generation Pace box, Samsung box and now V+.

Strange stuff indeed.

kryogenik
26-03-2008, 01:36
We have florescent tubes and energy saving bulbs in our lounge and have never had any problems with any of the boxes we've had: Ye olde analogue box, 1st generation Pace box, Samsung box and now V+.

Aye, ditto that except Pace 1000, 4000 and Samsung. No probs with our energy savers and the two fluroescents within view of the IR. But I have heard it happening.

the Channel Guide comes on, it skips through the channels and randomly changes the channel

:erm:
I think that's proper funny! Sorry!
I'd love that to happen. Kinda like a lucky dip.
:D

Does sound like your box is fubar'd to me.

Cerberus
26-03-2008, 02:19
It could also be some muppet standing outside your window with a one for all remote control taking the mickey. :tu:

kryogenik
26-03-2008, 02:36
It could also be some muppet standing outside your window with a one for all remote control taking the mickey. :tu:

LOL. That's even funnier. I remember Dixons on a Sat afternoon with one of those Casio remote watches.
Ahh, the memories.

Cerberus
26-03-2008, 03:28
LOL. That's even funnier. I remember Dixons on a Sat afternoon with one of those Casio remote watches.
Ahh, the memories.

Sod Dixons, try it on your next door neighbour. ;)

Still, like you said, happy days! :D

Still these post's aren't exactly helpful for the OP.

Sorry Welschris for taking it slightly o/t. No offence meant.

Welshchris
26-03-2008, 11:12

i dont think this is the case as it happens on a regular basis anytime of the day including 4-5am.

piggy
27-03-2008, 01:23
i dont think this is the case as it happens on a regular basis anytime of the day including 4-5am.

4-5AM.......goto bed :rolleyes:

Welshchris
27-03-2008, 02:03
something strange happened today, my IP address has changed and my problem has gone away.

Average download speeds are now around 445kb/s and i havnt had any page timeouts..

ceedee
27-03-2008, 09:30
I'm not sure I believe it...

You mean, they've fixed it?

:-O

slowcoach
27-03-2008, 09:53
445kb/s - I wouldn't call that fixed

Welshchris
27-03-2008, 12:37
445k on a 4mb line is around normal

Richy99
27-03-2008, 12:59
Kb yes.......... kb no

ceedee
27-03-2008, 13:00

Don't worry, it's just the units of speed that's leading to the misunderstanding.
445kB/s, ie. kilobytes rather than kilobits, *is* reasonable for a 4Mb connection.

Keeping my fingers crossed that your new-found performance holds up at peak time!

Welshchris
27-03-2008, 14:38
its the page timeouts that were the most annoying, atleast with a slow net connection u can browse the net, when ur getting pagetimeouts on almost every site then it starts getting annoying....

slowcoach
28-03-2008, 11:39
I was going off your profile, Services: 20mb Cable, XL TV and .... :erm:

Welshchris
28-03-2008, 11:42
Engineer just left, First off hes annoyed that the chief execs office has given us both incorrect information and he found out by contacting the network engineer in our area thats heading up the UBR upgrades. We have been told that the UBR i am on was upgraded on the 13th of march when infact its not due to be upgraded until the 14th of April and the chief execs office who claim to know all about my account must be looking at a completely different UBR.

moaningmags
28-03-2008, 12:25
I'm not surprised. They most likely sit in an office all day looking at their payslip.

Trent
28-03-2008, 19:35
445kb/s - I wouldn't call that fixed

I would if he is on ADSL.. My gran and sister have the same issue, now dont qoute me on this, but i think if they connect to any ip that doesnt start 86 then they get a shoddy connection. Reset the ADSL modem a few times it picks up and 86.xxx.xxx.xxx ip and they get about 5 Mb/s or 500kb/s