PDA

View Full Version : Connecting PS3 through set top box

nocarsgo
24-03-2008, 13:55
Hi, I had a wee look around and I couldn't find any answers on the forum to my question.

I have a Samsung cable STB, and I have an old NTL cable modem. The cable modem is connected through Ethernet to a Belkin wireless G router. Sadly, the PS3 cannot connect to the router as the signal is too weak. However, the PS3 is directly beside the cable STB. I know there's an Ethernet connector at the back of the STB, but everytime I try to connect up I fail to get an IP address. Is it possible to connect to the internet through the cable STB at the same time as using the cable modem for the router?

Thanks in advance.

MovedGoalPosts
24-03-2008, 15:17
Short answer, no. If you have broadband via modem, you can't have broadband via Set Top Box. Indeed broadband via Set Top Box is becoming less common and is only now for customers that have previously had internet this way, usually only in some ex ntl areas.

Is there any way you can run an ethernet lead from the Belking router to the PS3? Alternatively you could perhaps add an additional wireless point to you network to act as a signal booster. Maybe you could consider the homeplug solution?

Tezcatlipoca
24-03-2008, 15:19
:welcome:

Nope, sorry, won't work.

The STB ethernet port was only ever of use in certain areas where ntl & Telwest used to provide Broadband via STB rather than standalone cable modem.

If you have a cable modem, then you can only have cable broadband via that cable modem.

How far is the PS3 from the router?

Can you just use ethernet?

EDIT - beaten by Rob!

Daz555
24-03-2008, 15:30
If ethernet is not an option, how about a pair of 'powerline' adapters that allow you to connect network devices via your houses electrical cabling.

Eg: http://www.netgear.co.uk/powerline_wallplugged_extenders.php

Loads of companies have similar products of course, not just NetGear.

nocarsgo
24-03-2008, 18:05
The router's about 50m away from the PS3 and there's about eight walls in the way of it. It looks like Homeplug is the only way to go!

Thank you very much for your help :D

shawty
24-03-2008, 19:46
The router's about 50m away from the PS3 and there's about eight walls in the way of it. It looks like Homeplug is the only way to go!

Thank you very much for your help :D

50m? 8 walls? Is the router yours lol, you must live in a mansion.

nocarsgo
24-03-2008, 20:03
JC, I am dozy today. Tried to do a little Pythagoras in my head and forgot to square root :p: it's roughly about 10 metres! Big difference I know, what an idiot I am sometimes:D

Also, they're not quite walls, more unavoidable obstacles. The router is in a very awkward position but works relatively well- I don't particularly want to start shifting things about just for the PS3.