PDA

View Full Version : STILL not 256QAM

Sirpingalot
24-03-2008, 11:00
I was recently informed by an employee of Virgin Media that my local exchange (Baguley) would be receiving a network update on the 21st of March 2008 that would change the downstream modulation to 256QAM, effectively freeing up bandwidth on the network.

My modem log still reports the network as being 64QAM despite rebooting the modem several times.

It's therefore safe to assume the network update did not occur.

Seeing as the server is in desperate need of attention and a scheduled update has not gone ahead, I am now considering leaving Virgin Media and looking for a different ISP.

bopdude
24-03-2008, 11:15
Sorry mate, but thats the way it it goes, upgrades are happening, some are not as per schedule, what ya gonna do :shrug: So your going elsewhere, where ya going to go, have you checked against your post code for providers and suggested speeds ?

Sirius
24-03-2008, 11:20
I was recently informed by an employee of Virgin Media that my local exchange (Baguley) would be receiving a network update on the 21st of March 2008 that would change the downstream modulation to 256QAM, effectively freeing up bandwidth on the network.

My modem log still reports the network as being 64QAM despite rebooting the modem several times.

Seeing as the server is in desperate need of attention and a scheduled update has not gone ahead, I am now considering leaving Virgin Media and looking for a different ISP.

Use this to see if you are close enough to get a decent speed from ADSL

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/mapping/mapping.php

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

cleshe
24-03-2008, 12:10

I can understand how peeved you feel, especially as my daughter( also in the Baguley area)was feeling the same frustration. However, she swapped to Sky, only to find the fire was worse than the frying pan.The speeds she got on an"up to 8Mbps" connection made the ones she had from Virgin look remarkably fast.She has since swallowed her pride and returned to Virgin for the broadband part of her connection.
I'd try talking to others in your area on ADSL prior to changing, were I you.
For a while I too had poor connectivity. A change of modem cleared up my problems at the time.I was on 4Mbps, getting 2 on a good day.
Since then I've been upgraded via the 10Mbps rollout, and I get a steady enough 5.5Mbps, not the 10 promised ,but reasonable.
I believe my area also needed serious work. Some at least seems to have been done. They do get there eventually, just take a long time doing it.
Have you tried pursuing your problems through the newsgroups? It can be a lot less frustrating than talking to India.
Just as a matter of interest, I'm showing as QAM64, however I'm on a lower banding to you anyway, so have no way of knowing if the top teir is now different here.I do know there are users on the XL service in Stafford complaining re speeds received.

christopherw
25-03-2008, 05:05
fwiw, I just checked my router settings (xTW area, Birmingham Harborne UBR4) and I've got 256QAM & 16QAM for downstream & upstream respectively.

Are you xNTL?

Sirpingalot
25-03-2008, 10:56
fwiw, I just checked my router settings (xTW area, Birmingham Harborne UBR4) and I've got 256QAM & 16QAM for downstream & upstream respectively.

Are you xNTL?

Yep