PDA

View Full Version : can Virgin internet cable be used as a tv aerial cable

boyler219
23-03-2008, 16:34
Hi I previously had ntl/virgin internet and the guys that came out to install it took out my tv aerial cable that ran to my loft and replaced it with the cable for the internet which they then feed into one of rooms where the computer was. The problem i have now is i bought a new tv and a basic tv aerial isnt strong enough so i want to use the aerial in the loft but the cable is gone and i was wondering can i use the cable that was previously used for the internet as a cable for the tv aerial if i just switch the attachments at the end or will i need to get another cable specifically for the tv.

MovedGoalPosts
23-03-2008, 17:01
If you are referring to the co-axial cabling that fed a Set Top Box from the street cable, then probably yes. The VM cable is generally a better quality than would normally be needed for a rooftop aerial.

You may well need to change the end fittings, as you say. DIY fittings should be available from good DIY stores.

Before you do this, just be sure you won't want the Virgin Media service in the future. Be sure that the wiring has been disconnected from the street service else you may well introduce interference to cable services in your neighbourhood.

Of course if you are still using the cable for your internet, TV or whatever from Virgin Media, then you can't connect it to the rooftop aerial as well.

v0id
23-03-2008, 18:09
Are you saying that the installers helped themselves to your aerial cable? :o

kt88man
23-03-2008, 18:18
Are you saying that the installers helped themselves to your aerial cable? :o

Oh look! Here's a piece of old co-ax going just where we want to run our cable, let's use it as a draw cable...

irishtrisha
23-03-2008, 18:23
yes it does work. tried it the other day.