PDA

View Full Version : 'Lag spikes' on VM

21-03-2008, 20:01
Hello,

I am on VM 2mb cable line.....

I have/had been playing a multiplayer game online for a few months now when i get the time....

I reinstalled my OS as was getting clogged up i thought.... Now when trying to play this same game i get what you could call lag spikes.....

Basically whether just in the menu screen of the game or actually playing online the screen freezes(cursor unresponsive) for maybe 0.2-0.5sec or so then its ok for 3 -5 secs or so and on like this constantly.....

I just tried a new NIC card as well but no help.....

You can play this game offline like against bots now if the modem cable is plugged in then i still get these spikes playing offline whereas if the cable is out then its fine again, runs smooth...

Could it be the ISP trying to regulate my playing (bandwith) whatever, does this sound right, or could it be some other hardware or the modem at fault? ?

My general internet connection pretty much fine no obvious problems with like watching youtube or surfing etc....

I am just noticing right now that the LED light on my NIC card is constantly flashing even though i am not doing anything but writing this..... There is no way there could be as i just reinsatlled and am on Linux but it like there is a virus assessing the NET or some signal is constaly assessing my PC...you can hear a constant faint croaking from the NIC card as it seems to always have some traffic activity, again even if the PC is totally idle(i.e i am not browsing, or doing anything)...?

Any ideas?

Callumpy
22-03-2008, 10:23
Hello,

I am on VM 2mb cable line.....

I have/had been playing a multiplayer game online for a few months now when i get the time....

I reinstalled my OS as was getting clogged up i thought.... Now when trying to play this same game i get what you could call lag spikes.....

Basically whether just in the menu screen of the game or actually playing online the screen freezes(cursor unresponsive) for maybe 0.2-0.5sec or so then its ok for 3 -5 secs or so and on like this constantly.....

I just tried a new NIC card as well but no help.....

You can play this game offline like against bots now if the modem cable is plugged in then i still get these spikes playing offline whereas if the cable is out then its fine again, runs smooth...

Could it be the ISP trying to regulate my playing (bandwith) whatever, does this sound right, or could it be some other hardware or the modem at fault? ?

My general internet connection pretty much fine no obvious problems with like watching youtube or surfing etc....

I am just noticing right now that the LED light on my NIC card is constantly flashing even though i am not doing anything but writing this..... There is no way there could be as i just reinsatlled and am on Linux but it like there is a virus assessing the NET or some signal is constaly assessing my PC...you can hear a constant faint croaking from the NIC card as it seems to always have some traffic activity, again even if the PC is totally idle(i.e i am not browsing, or doing anything)...?

Any ideas?

Does your computer run anything that requires internet access?

Jonathan90
22-03-2008, 12:50
i take it your running counter strike eh? make sure you set your proper connection under steam settings try cable/fiber 10m setting i'm on 4 mb and that what i set it too runs smooth

22-03-2008, 13:06
Does your computer run anything that requires internet access?

Not that i know of, i did a clean install of linux and then just downloaded the game, installed it , patches etc... and now this....... This would fit all the syptoms of a virus IMO but it seems as though there are no know viruses for linux, and a clean install as well so that cant be....

i take it your running counter strike eh? make sure you set your proper connection under steam settings try cable/fiber 10m setting i'm on 4 mb and that what i set it too runs smooth

The game is Enemy Territory, wow this is weird as i have reinstalled linux about 6 times and reinstalled ET the same with no problems but now this, it also could be that the modem has become damaged... i reall dont know, i wish i could make an AVI of the game to show whats happening.....