PDA

View Full Version : Easiest way to get a new IP?

Zain
20-03-2008, 14:39
hey,

im on virgin's 4mb package, and i wanna change my IP address, whats the easiest way to do this (besides cloning your MAC address)...ive got a router..i heard leaving your modem switched off for a long period of time will get you a new one ... any ideas on that? like how long i'd have to keep it off for?

Thanx.

MovedGoalPosts
20-03-2008, 14:44
The length of time you have to switch off depends on the lease it has aquired from the server. No easy way of checking that. Even if you have you modem off longer than the time that the lease expires, there is noo guarantee you won't get the same IP address back again.

Changing the mac address of the device connected to the modem, i.e. by using settings in the router appears to be far more reliable.

RDDearing
20-03-2008, 14:45
That's basically it - although leaving your modem off isn't guaranteed - only if someone else gets assigned the address once your lease on that address expires. Changing the MAC is the quickest and guaranteed way of changing IP.

Edit: Oops - it appears Rob and I share more than a name!

Keloran
20-03-2008, 19:06
why would you want to get a new ip anyway, if your ip blocked off a website, there was obviouslly good reason

Druchii
20-03-2008, 19:19
why would you want to get a new ip anyway, if your ip blocked off a website, there was obviouslly good reason
Sometimes you get a new IP anywho, sometimes one of which has been banned off sites you frequent. Not your fault, and very annoying.

Halcyon
20-03-2008, 22:42
You could just buy a new network card for less than a fiver.
Reboot modem and it should assign a new IP.

Not tried it so not sure if it works.

Nemeth
20-03-2008, 23:02
You could just buy a new network card for less than a fiver.
Reboot modem and it should assign a new IP.

Not tried it so not sure if it works.
It would do if he were connected directly to the modem, but as he posted he's using a router it's not going to make any difference.

Zain, have you made sure your router doesn't allow you to spoof the MAC address of its WAN interface? Most don't but there's a chance.

bigcats30
21-03-2008, 01:21
which IP address are you trying to change?? the modem one or the one the router gives your PC??? if its the modem one then i think your **** out of luck with this as its given by VM but the one given by your router is simple by just typing in a new one in the settings as long as its within the range that the router carries

JoeBloggs
21-03-2008, 17:17
In router settings, Enable MAC address clone. Use your Computer's Mac address instead of the routers MAC, reboot equipment and virgin will assign you a different IP.

I did this last night and my ip changed! Browsing is a bit better, I'm still getting probs though. But this will change your ip.

idlecat
26-03-2008, 11:34
If you just want to blag your way back into banned forums or go to forums blocked by school or work servers why not just utilise a proxy server. Just sign in and post your url in the box. There are plenty about - eg thi one.
http://www.freeproxyserver.ca/
VM's own security Privacy Guard do one for a fee.:angel:

MovedGoalPosts
26-03-2008, 12:50
Many forums have ways of seeing past such proxy systems ;)

idlecat
26-03-2008, 18:01
Many forums have ways of seeing past such proxy systems ;)

The one I use seems to work.
What do they use to check it out ?

MovedGoalPosts
26-03-2008, 18:10
If I told you, I'd then have to kill you. Alternatively I'd get killed by Paul M for giving away all his secrets ;)

AbyssUnderground
26-03-2008, 19:00
Its a simple method used in PHP. However as far as I know there isn't any way to bypass it ;)

idlecat
26-03-2008, 19:44
If I told you, I'd then have to kill you. Alternatively I'd get killed by Paul M for giving away all his secrets ;)
I'll let you kill me then! I really really want to know *stamps foot*