PDA

View Full Version : Old NTL 100 modem

boxboy
18-03-2008, 13:09
Hi all,

I have an old NTL 100 modem that I've been using since i joined a long time ago, can't complain as it works the way it should.
Question I have is that when I get upgraded from 4MB to 10MB will the old 100 modem be able to cope or will I have to get a new one from Virgin??

Thanks in advance.:)

JohnM
18-03-2008, 13:11
You can check it out (and order a new modem) from this page. But from memory I think you'll be fine!

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/current_service.html

boxboy
18-03-2008, 13:15
Thanks johnM, Checked and according to them it'll be fine.:):)

cleshe
20-03-2008, 21:00
Thanks johnM, Checked and according to them it'll be fine.:):)

I had a 120, it was replaced long before the upgrade because it couldn't or wouldn't deliver anything near the 4Mb I was on. It took me 3 months of bellyacheing before they sent out an engineer who changed it, for a 255,and my speeds magically increased. The tech who changed it said that the 120 was basically obsolete as it couldn't accept the latest software.A month before that another tech visted, never even came in , said there was nothing wrong with the modems, just the service generally,and left without doing anything.
At that time there was a posting on this forum showing what accepted what speeds. It went missing some time ago, about the time the "will your modem accept the new speeds" advice page swapped from saying the 120 and 100 needed to be changed for a newer model, to saying they were fine.
Whether they got some software that could accept the upgrade, or just decided it would cost too much to change them all I'll leave with you.
I know my thoughts on the matter.

dave6x
20-03-2008, 22:13
I had a 120, it was replaced long before the upgrade because it couldn't or wouldn't deliver anything near the 4Mb I was on. It took me 3 months of bellyacheing before they sent out an engineer who changed it, for a 255,and my speeds magically increased. The tech who changed it said that the 120 was basically obsolete as it couldn't accept the latest software.A month before that another tech visted, never even came in , said there was nothing wrong with the modems, just the service generally,and left without doing anything.
At that time there was a posting on this forum showing what accepted what speeds. It went missing some time ago, about the time the "will your modem accept the new speeds" advice page swapped from saying the 120 and 100 needed to be changed for a newer model, to saying they were fine.
Whether they got some software that could accept the upgrade, or just decided it would cost too much to change them all I'll leave with you.
I know my thoughts on the matter.

It seems some 120's are good, some not so good. I'm still using mine, currently on 4Mb this is the sort of result that is typical:

Thu, 20 Mar 2008 22:02:08 GMT

Test 1: 1024K took 2218 ms = 461.7 KB/sec, approx 3804 Kbps, 3.71 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 2141 ms = 478.3 KB/sec, approx 3941 Kbps, 3.85 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 2187 ms = 468.2 KB/sec, approx 3858 Kbps, 3.77 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 4360 ms = 469.7 KB/sec, approx 3870 Kbps, 3.78 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 3868 Kbps, 3.78 Mbps

I usually get a rock-solid 480-490KB/s (3.9Mb)when dowloading from Newsgroups. And when I was on 10Mb in 2005/2006 following the modem software upgrade I used to get newsgroup downloads at a solid 1.2MB/s (9.6Mb)!

djmagnifique
20-03-2008, 22:17
I had an old 100 a while back and it was fine until I upgraded to 10meg, then it started having problems and rebooting every 5 minutes making using the net almost inpossable. called them up and got it replaced for a ntl250 which i'm still using now.

So even though they say it will be ok, be prepared to get it changed asnnot all of them can handle 10meg.

sav112
21-03-2008, 00:41
I'm on the 100 as well, did the web site upgrade order but nothing......

cleshe
22-03-2008, 19:12
I'm on the 100 as well, did the web site upgrade order but nothing......

Post your request on the virginmedia.support.broadband.cable newsgroup.It's a far better way of getting a response than phoning India, or requesting it via the Virgin web page.

You may indeed get your modem swapped via the alleged helpline, but only after repeated attempts. It took me 3 months of being told I hadn't a problem, oh maybe I had, no I hadn't.
Then I got an email from Virgin :- "How did we do fixing your problem," so I told them , in detail.A very nice lady then rang me, and after listening to what I had to say gave me a month's refund, an apology , and a hope that before I again had to pay the fault would be fixed.She also said that unfortunately I would still need to get in touch with the helpline, but said I should insist on an engineers visit.
Even then, it took two engineers visits before my modem was swapped, and the speed became stable and acceptable.

A friend tried the other way of posting on the newsgroup.He got an engineer and a new modem within a week.