PDA

View Full Version : Winnersh - RG1, speeds always low?

kingwahwah
15-03-2008, 14:03
Hi

I am in RG1. 8 years a customer on 4mb with NTL120 modem. Can hardly browse. Done the dnsorg thing. Waiting for 10mb upgrade to see if it fixes problems or jump ship to ADSL but its getting silly now. £25 for .5mb. I have not been DLing large files (well since mid jan and that was brief) so should not be getting shaped.

I had to do work on my VPN last night as we had serious problem with web farm I manage. The remote desktop session was terrible I just got away from driving into work at 2am. Tomorrow I do a software release via VPN so worried.

07 was a mixed bag. Summer was great. December ping was terrible, COD4 was usable. 08 so far its been like I have no internet connection anymore.

Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem
Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem
Downstream Receive Power Level : 1.19 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 34.62 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 50.50 dBmv

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 4096000 bps

1.19 is low. Was 3 this week which is ok according to sticky but still got poor speeds.

Apart from weekend 1/2 March I always get 0.5mb DL 0.4 UL. That was a great weekend first time I've had nice speeds since November 07 so made me think its not my end.

I know 120 should be fine for 10mb but would a upgrade help with weak cable signals/power?

My phone line died a month ago and has again this week. Problems with street equipment?

Should I go through the hell and call support or is this just winnersh performance issues? I'm a network engineer so hate the thought of being talked through silly tests to avoid an engineer call out.

Just gone down to Downstream Receive Power Level : -0.63 dBmv!

moaningmags
15-03-2008, 17:06
AFAIK the closer to 0 for the power level the better.
So, all of your power level readings are fine.

I'd post in the newsgroups with traceroutes, ping tests
download speeds and modem signal logs. Help there is a lot
better ex-NTL support by phone.