PDA

View Full Version : Set Top Box

tubbles
13-03-2008, 22:50
I have a Samsung STB, which i get tv and bb through. Can anyone tell me what speed they are capable of? I want to know this as I only use the internet to browse and buy but i do play games online now and then. my 4mb is very good and consistent so i really don't want to take a chance with a modem. I only ask this as i know i am to be upgraded and the website asks me to get the modem. :(

I remember that when i was upgraded to 4mb i was told that the samsung boxes are "well" capable of 4mb so that sounds to me like it would maybe go to 6 or 8mb???? That would be great if it works smoothly.:dunce:

Greebox
13-03-2008, 23:24
I got 8-9Mb from my Sammy 2100 after they fired up 20Mb in my area (I was on the 10Mb) service, but swapped to a modem to make the most of the upgrade to 20Mb, I'm getting 18-19Mb fairly consistently now through a 255 modem - guess I'm one of the lucky ones.;)

Probably far to many variables like is your area oversubscribed and have you got a well built STB for this to be an accurate example for you though.

tubbles
13-03-2008, 23:49
8-9mb would be absolutely great, i understand that the build quality may be different from yours. Thanks for letting me know and now i will just have to wait and see. My area not upgraded yet so no worries. Thanks again.

frogstamper
16-03-2008, 01:44
I have the 4mb package with an ambit 255 modem, and I get as near damm-it to 4mb, luckily the 10mb upgrade site says I don't need a new modem. My brother-in-law has the 20mb package, and when he went up to it he had to change his ambit 220 modem to a 255 and he also gets speeds averaging 18mb to 19mb.

spiderplant
16-03-2008, 11:35
The maximum performance through the Samsungs depends mainly on the traffic profile. Sometimes they max out at about 5Mbps, but with optimal packet sizes and timings they can handle up to 25Mbps. So try it and see.

tubbles
16-03-2008, 19:08
Thanks a lot for the replies guys, will try it and see what speed i get. I suppose i will end up getting the modem solution but just worried in case it ruins my normally excellent service. on all the speed test sites (including this one) i generally get 3.80-3.90 mb/s. the only problem that i had was when i was upgraded to 4mb a year or so back and that was resolved within days. excellent service for me thanks VM.:):)