PDA

View Full Version : I knew something was wrong.

Nidge
13-03-2008, 12:11
I've just been diagnosed with prostrate cancer, after years of suffering with going to the toilet in the middle of the night, wetting myself in a rush to get to the toilet, pain in my lower gut and lower back they have finally found out what the problem was?

Last week I went to the doctors and told him I'd had enough of the suffering and I wanted something doing about it, I told him about the amount of blood tests I've had in previous years all came back negative.

The doctor did another test on Friday last week but asked the hospital for more screening to be bone on the blood.

Today I've been back to see the doctor and he gave me the ***** news that I had prostrate cancer. I asked him what the treatment was (if there was any)? He said we'll have to see if it's contained in your prostrate and not spread to any other part of your body, FFS I just slumped in the chair I couldn't move, I just looked out of the window. I asked him if it's usual for it to spread? He said it all depends how long you've been suffering with the symptoms. Well I've been suffering for over 4 years with going to the toilet in the middle of the night etc etc so it's likely to have spread then?? He said I'm afraid so but we'll not know until we do an MRI scan and have a look at the whole of your body.

He said I see you look after yourself, your in good shape and your diet is good so your in with a chance that it's not spread any further.

I'm sat here not knowing what to do, which way to turn or which way to run.

xspeedyx
13-03-2008, 12:22
wow Nidge dude I am really sorry to hear that but like the doc said hopefully it aint spread and they can try and cure it I know it gonna be hard at first but keep ur head up and look forward

Mr_love_monkey
13-03-2008, 12:23
Nidge, I'm really sorry to hear that.
As the doctor says hopefully it won't have spread - you need to try and keep a positive attitude.

dilli-theclaw
13-03-2008, 12:28
Bad news indeed. :(

Myself when I get bad news like that I tent to try and talk things through with someone not family related.

I'm not going to tell you how to feel or what to do it's not my place, if, however you want to chat or anything I'm nore than happy to :tu:

If you want to rant or whatever you like you can call me.

Dilli.

Nidge
13-03-2008, 12:34
Bad news indeed. :(

Myself when I get bad news like that I tent to try and talk things through with someone not family related.

I'm not going to tell you how to feel or what to do it's not my place, if, however you want to chat or anything I'm nore than happy to :tu:

If you want to rant or whatever you like you can call me.

Dilli.

Cheers Jeff I might take you up on the offer mate, I'm just sat here trying to take it all in, don't know what to think of it all.

tweetypie/8
13-03-2008, 13:01
I've just been diagnosed with prostrate cancer, after years of suffering with going to the toilet in the middle of the night, wetting myself in a rush to get to the toilet, pain in my lower gut and lower back they have finally found out what the problem was?

Last week I went to the doctors and told him I'd had enough of the suffering and I wanted something doing about it, I told him about the amount of blood tests I've had in previous years all came back negative.

The doctor did another test on Friday last week but asked the hospital for more screening to be bone on the blood.

Today I've been back to see the doctor and he gave me the ***** news that I had prostrate cancer. I asked him what the treatment was (if there was any)? He said we'll have to see if it's contained in your prostrate and not spread to any other part of your body, FFS I just slumped in the chair I couldn't move, I just looked out of the window. I asked him if it's usual for it to spread? He said it all depends how long you've been suffering with the symptoms. Well I've been suffering for over 4 years with going to the toilet in the middle of the night etc etc so it's likely to have spread then?? He said I'm afraid so but we'll not know until we do an MRI scan and have a look at the whole of your body.

He said I see you look after yourself, your in good shape and your diet is good so your in with a chance that it's not spread any further.

I'm sat here not knowing what to do, which way to turn or which way to run.

nidge that took the wind out of my sails just reading what you had to say,theres nothing i can say to you to ease the hurt you must be feeling,but you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

superbiatch
13-03-2008, 13:16
Very sorry to hear that Nidge, you have my best wishes.

My colleague was diagnosed and underwent treatment straight away, hormones were used as was chemo IIRC. That was about 18 months ago, he's as fit as a fiddle now.

I suppose you need to see how advanced it is and given your previous history.

Good luck and fingers crossed its not too advanced xx

Osem
13-03-2008, 13:27
Best of luck with this Nidge! Try to be positive - cancer treatments have come a long way and you have age on your side. Sincere best wishes.

Matth
13-03-2008, 13:47
If it's based on the PSA number, there are as many diagnoses as there are doctors, some will say prostrate cancer, others will say benign prostatic hyperplasia - get a second opinion (or more).

zing_deleted
13-03-2008, 14:02
Heavy man hope its not spread and it all ends well

Maggy
13-03-2008, 14:18
I hope you have someone to talk to about this nidge,someone to hold your hand?We will do our best but you do need that solid warm human hand.

I hope and pray that all is well and that it has not spread.

Also I hope that any of our male members with similar symptoms will go and see their doctor straight away after hearing of your news.

http://www.prostate-cancer.org.uk/info/info.asp

Graham M
13-03-2008, 14:18
I've got all my digits crossed for you Nidge, hope you pull through!

altis
13-03-2008, 14:23
A few weeks ago I heard a programme on the radio about this. They said that in many cases they now just monitor the situation but leave it alone. It tends to be very slow spreading, if at all, and chances are it's something else that gets you in the end!

That said, I've just come back from a skiing holiday with a friend who has recently gone through all the treatment. He's as fit as a fiddle now and, touch wood, all is okay.

From all the things I've heard about this illness, I'd say your outlook is probably much better than you think. I know it's easy to say this but, try to stay positive - I'm sure it will help.

kryogenik
13-03-2008, 14:29
Very sorry to hear your news Nidge. Fingers and toes crossed for you that it turns out OK.
:(

joglynne
13-03-2008, 14:55
Sorry to hear the news Nidge. I hope the MRI scan will be soon. As Kryogenik says fingers and toes crossed that it turns out OK. What ever happens you know we are all rooting for you.

Ramrod
13-03-2008, 15:08
Thats rough Nidge, sorry to hear that :(

Nidge
13-03-2008, 15:11
Thanks for the kind words folks, Jesus I could do with them thats for sure. I'm not going to mull over this, it's not going to beat me it's something that shouldn't be inside of me so it has no right to be there, my body is the temple I look after it my only downfall is I like a ciggie, I don't drink, I go to the gym 6 times a week, I run 4 times a week, (from the Police).

I will beat this thing whats on the inside of me, it has picked on the wrong one I'm afraid and there is only going to be one winner. That will be me so I'm up for this fight, whatever it decides to throw at me I'll throw 3 times as much back at it.

Thanks for the heads up folks and sorry for rambling on ^^^^^^^^.

CF Rocks:tu::tu::tu::tu:

Nugget
13-03-2008, 15:15
I think it's safe to say that everyone on here's going to be rooting for you Nidge :)

As has already been said (and it sounds like you are anyway), you'll have to try and remain positive, although I think we'd all appreciate that it's not the easiest thing in the world.

I know dilli's already offered his ear, as I think we all would if it was wanted but, as Coggy said, I hope you have someone 'close' to you as well.

All the best mate, and fingers crossed for you :tu:

superbiatch
13-03-2008, 15:19
....I look after it my only downfall is I like a ciggie,

When you're in the right frame of mind and positive, give me a shout about giving up smoking. I've got loads of helpful info, but one thing at a time ;)

Graham M
13-03-2008, 15:27
Thanks for the kind words folks, Jesus I could do with them thats for sure. I'm not going to mull over this, it's not going to beat me it's something that shouldn't be inside of me so it has no right to be there, my body is the temple I look after it my only downfall is I like a ciggie, I don't drink, I go to the gym 6 times a week, I run 4 times a week, (from the Police).

I will beat this thing whats on the inside of me, it has picked on the wrong one I'm afraid and there is only going to be one winner. That will be me so I'm up for this fight, whatever it decides to throw at me I'll throw 3 times as much back at it.

Thanks for the heads up folks and sorry for rambling on ^^^^^^^^.

CF Rocks:tu::tu::tu::tu:

Odd question perhaps, but are you religious?

Nidge
13-03-2008, 15:32
Odd question perhaps, but are you religious?

No mate I'm not but after this I'm thinking about it.

Enuff
13-03-2008, 15:35
Sorry to hear that Nidge, don't give up the fight!

Graham M
13-03-2008, 16:18
No mate I'm not but after this I'm thinking about it.

Might give you something to focus on maybe

Sirius
13-03-2008, 16:21
Sorry to hear that Nidge

peanut
13-03-2008, 16:34
Also very sorry to hear your bad news, try to keep positive. Hard to know what to say. :(

Bulky
13-03-2008, 16:41
Really sorry to hear about your news nidge , my dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer about 6 years ago , he underwent an operation and was given radiotherapy which at the time made him very ill but now has been given the all clear for the 5th year in a row , i hope the same happens for you , don't give up .

webcrawler2050
13-03-2008, 16:43
Bad News Indeed!

Well I wish all the best of luck - you could try and look for some local support groups - they could maybe help?? Just talking to someone about the worry may ease it a little.

I know its not good news, but just be strong and positive and you shoudl sail through it - I know it's easier said than done! Just hope!

Ive got everything crossed for you and I wish you the best of luck!

Ramrod
13-03-2008, 16:59
No mate I'm not but after this I'm thinking about it.Noooo!....Don't give in to the dark side! :D

---------- Post added at 16:59 ---------- Previous post was at 16:54 ----------

cancerhelp.org (http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=2657)
prostate-cancer.org (http://www.prostate-cancer.org.uk/)
cancerbackup.org (prostate-cancer.org)
nhsdirect.nhs.uk/ (http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=82)
etc, etc....:)

Delta Whiskey
13-03-2008, 17:16
Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery.

Jules
13-03-2008, 17:25
God Nidge what can I say, doesn't sound like your doctor was very good at breaking the news to you either. My very best thoughts and wishes are with you love x

AntiSilence
13-03-2008, 17:34
Sorry to hear about this Nidge. Got my fingers crossed for you chap.

Tinky
13-03-2008, 17:40
So sorry Nidge, all the above and more! :sorry::hugs::group:

Halcyon
13-03-2008, 17:42
Sorry to hear the news. I know there must be a million things going round in your head right now but try to take it one step at a time. There are so many things that can be done and you've got to be strong and think positively. I really do wish you all the best.

Fingy
13-03-2008, 17:45
Really sorry to hear your news. Like everyone has said try and stay positive, lets hope it hasn't spread.

alferret
13-03-2008, 21:58
Sorry to hear about that Nidge. Hopefully it'll have not spread and you'll have many, many years left in you.
I drive through Daybrook every day on the way home from work, if you want someone different to chat to I would be more than happy to stop off.

Cobbydaler
13-03-2008, 22:06
Sorry to hear that Nidge.

Some support options here (http://www.prostate-cancer.org.uk/support/support.asp)...

All best wishes.

WHISTLED
13-03-2008, 22:07
Awful - Sorry mate............

Marge
13-03-2008, 22:56
Best of luck to you Nidge, hope everything works out well for you :hugs:

In my current job I book scans etc for many different kinds of patients and I have noticed how many people are fighing cancer and winning. Lots of people are on surveillance scans only, after managing to beat it.

The NHS has a target for cancer patients of one month from referral to treatment so you should be fast-tracked for your investigations. Hopefully this will have been caught early and can be easily treated. Have a look at the links that Rammy gave and maybe give them a call (freephone numbers I hope) and see if you can get more information to help ease your worries. Sometimes not knowing can make a bad thing seem even worse :(

We're all here rooting for you and if you need help, give us all a shout.

Tezcatlipoca
13-03-2008, 23:56
Agh - sorry to hear this, Nidge :(

wigro
14-03-2008, 18:15
Sorry to hear about your news as well . Cant imagine what your going through .
All the best wishes for your scan .

Good luck mate.

The Hitman
14-03-2008, 18:26
I hope you beat this and end up ok

budwieser
14-03-2008, 18:52
Hi Nidge, Sorry to hear the news mate but you`ve certainly got the right attitude towards it to beat it!
**** it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It`s NOT going to beat me.
Thats the attitude that i had when i was diagnosed with Hodgkins and i beat it as well. You must stay POSITIVE.
You must not give up smoking if you are to under go Radio Or Chemotherapy as this will weaken your body`s defences as your immune system will be weakened anyway. I know that sounds a really bad thing to say to you but that is what i was told.
Pm me anytime mate and i`ll even send you my MSN username so we can chat if you like.;)
You take it easy now bud.
Neil.

homealone
14-03-2008, 21:09
I just wanted to add my best wishes for the results of your further diagnosis & hope it can be successfully treated. :tu:

jellybaby
14-03-2008, 21:16
All the best Nidge. We're all behind you :)

G UK
14-03-2008, 21:30
You'll beat it, you'll see.

Hom3r
14-03-2008, 22:47
Try the Macmillan nurses they can be called at all times, its also for families to use aswell

Caff
14-03-2008, 23:31
Try the Macmillan nurses they can be called at all times, its also for families to use aswell

Yes.
And you may well have an oncology nurse assigned to you, who will ring regularly to check on you, say once a week?, and whom you can can phone at any time, day or night, if you need their support, a visit or want some questions answering.

Hey - remember to pick out some great music to play when you have your MRI.

Very best wishes.
Catherine

Graham M
14-03-2008, 23:32
Keep us informed Nidge, I think we're all behind you! :)

Druchii
15-03-2008, 01:56
Best of luck beating it into submission Nidge, i'm sure you'll manage. ;)

Nidge
15-03-2008, 08:40
Thanks for the kind words folks, I'm feeling much better this morning after talking to Budweiser last night via MSN, he put everything into perspective, after suffering from a form of cancer himself and beating it he made me feel 100% better with my condition.

When you are told that you've got something wrong with you nothing can describe how you feel, when you post your diagnosis on a message board like CF and when you get messages of support from people who you've never met it gives you that little bit of fight.

I went to see a urologist yesterday, I've got to go back and see him on Tuesday, he seemed pretty positive, he asked me if I'd got any questions I'd like to ask him? All I asked him was, can it be beaten? Without hesitation he said yes, it's a cancer that responds well to treatment, you'll just feel some pain when we perform the biopsey on Tuesday but there is nothing to worry about on that score.

I'm also waiting for my MRI scan to come through, I don't know how long that will be but things are going in the right direction at the moment.

alferret
15-03-2008, 11:56
Best of luck mate & fingers crossed for ya :)

Damien
15-03-2008, 12:48
Really sorry to hear about your news nidge , my dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer about 6 years ago , he underwent an operation and was given radiotherapy which at the time made him very ill but now has been given the all clear for the 5th year in a row , i hope the same happens for you , don't give up .

Once your past the 5th year of all-clears it counts as a survival doesnt it?

Anyway, Good Luck Nidge, was quite shocked to read about this. As a lot of people on here have shown, Cancer treatements have come a long way and they fact your quite healthy will properly help as well!

Nidge
19-03-2008, 18:46
Just a quick update folks, I went to the hospital yesterday to have a biopsy took from my prostrate, it didn't hurt until I got home and later on last night it started to hurt a little, they took the biopsy with a probe which they stuck up my backside, they also reassured me that there was nothing to worry about and that the treatment was good and the success rate was very good indeed. I'm waiting for my MRI scan to come through from the hospital, I'll know next week what the results of the biopsy was.

danielf
19-03-2008, 18:58
Fingers crossed Nidge. We're all rooting for you.

monkey2468
19-03-2008, 19:44
Good luck.

budwieser
19-03-2008, 19:49
Fingers crossed Nidge. We're all rooting for you.
Lol............ After what Nidge has just gone through, i don`t think that rooting is the word he wanted to hear.;)
Keep your spirits up Nidge, we`re all behind you, in a manner of speaking.:D

LSainsbury
19-03-2008, 20:23
Hey Nidge - sorry to hear you news...

Please keep us informed of your progress - if you feel like it!

Go Nidge!!! :tu:

Vlad_Dracul
19-03-2008, 21:12
Sorry to hear the bad news...I think its a little unusual for someone of your (and my!!) age? Unfortunately there is no national screening procedure for men of our age for this male problem. For any who might be worried,you can actually buy self test kits on t'internet which test for the presence of PSA in the blood. I've done one in the past. Its just a finger prick test ,drop it onto a sampling device,wait for colour change or coloured bar i seem to recall. A bit like a pregnancy test.

Uncle Peter
20-03-2008, 22:20
Just keep your chin up fella and be positive. My bro just went through a similar thing to yourself and he's doing just fine. You'll be in good hands.

budwieser
29-03-2008, 20:29
Has Anybody heard from Nidge?
What was the outcome of his results?

Jules
30-03-2008, 13:32
I will bump the thread and hopefully he will see it and post

ikthius
30-03-2008, 13:50
good luck nidge, hope all is well

Nidge
30-03-2008, 19:34
Hi all sorry for the delay in getting back posting I've had things to do. I went to the hospital on Tuesday for the results of the biopsy which I had the previous Tuesday, they gave me a score of 6, they told me not to be alarmed at the high score it was just how the doctors rate it. They are going to treat me with hormone tablets, if they fail then it's ultrasound. The doctors said one of the two work it's just a case of finding out which one is the best for you. They told me to carry on as normal and not to worry and take the tablets, I'm still waiting for my MRI scan to come through, when I get the results of that I will be able to rest more easily knowing it's not spread.

Thaks for the heads up folks I'll keep you posted.

webcrawler2050
30-03-2008, 20:16
Nidge,

Thats some good news atleast! - Atleast Tablets can resolve it and not Nuclear Medicine - Good luck with the Tablets!

Graham M
30-03-2008, 21:05
Good luck Nidge, our thoughts are with you!

CycoSymz
30-03-2008, 21:12
All the best Nidge, hope everything turns out for the best.

Jules
31-03-2008, 12:20
All the best Nidge I hope you have your MRI soon