PDA

View Full Version : Broadband outage TW20 area (Egham, Addlestone etc.) - 5 days now !!!

Darren P
09-03-2008, 21:31
Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone else was experiencing problems with their VM Broadband in the TW20 area - Egham, Surrey. According to the status update over the phone, areas such as Addlestone and Ewell are also suffering...

I have been a VM customer for many years (via NTL etc.) and have always had great service. However, my broadband went out on Wednesday morning (5th March) and is still out now, 5 days later !! This is unbelievable that a large area has been suffering for this long, and is making me consider my future with VM.

Can anyone in the know help?? Or at least give me an idea of when (or if) it will be fixed as at the moment I am paying for BB XL for nothing.

Cheers.

Darren

MovedGoalPosts
09-03-2008, 22:15
Have you tried contacting VM? Any outage that length of time is excessive and may have other issues specific to your connection. If nothing else it's unnacceptable to be offline for that length of time without some reimbursement for the service you pay for but aren't getting. Note I haven't said compensation as that is different and not normally payable on domestic services.

My broadband and TV services have been unpredictable over the last few days and I'm in one of those areas.

what?
09-03-2008, 22:26
not sure anything about the issue, work for vm but ont he former telewest side support.

what i would say those is if your service has been down for that long due to a vm issue
they will give you a credit for the amount of time you have been off. you ge tthat by speaking to cs when normal service is resumed. best to speak to tech support asap tho as they will credit the call if its due to an outage and can then note the account to let cs know when it went down. they may also b able to give you some idea of when the issue is due to be resolved.

Darren P
09-03-2008, 23:07
Cheers guys.

I will give VM a call tomorrow. Didn't know if it was worth bothering as they have had the automated message on, mentioning TW20, every day since it went down on Wednesday. At least, I suppose, they should be able to give me some more info.

Anyone else know any more??

Darren

hwangeruk
09-03-2008, 23:24
Darren. I am in Addlestone, and my Virgin (old NTL) connection has been crap the last few days too. There was a problem like this 18 months ago, when they did their last network upgrades.

This week, the Addlestone routers had a change control on them listed on the Virgin status page. And ever since then, the service has been terrible.

This is a Virgin problem in our area, don't let others suggest its something on our end.

I like you are reluctant to ring the cash for questions line, only to be asked to unplug my Cable Modem and all that other crap. I've done it lots of times.

Have you checked you cable modem, are you getting stuff like this in the eventlog?

Sun Mar 09 23:22:48 2008 Sun Mar 09 23:22:48 2008 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Error (4) ToD request sent- No Response received
Time Not Established Time Not Established Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...

Druchii
10-03-2008, 00:58
This particular line:

" Sun Mar 09 23:22:48 2008 Sun Mar 09 23:22:48 2008 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received"

Appears when modems are working perfectly fine anyway.

Darren P
10-03-2008, 18:58
Hi,

Sorry, I don't know how to view the output from my modem.

Anyway, just got off the phone with technical support. They know nothing, and have no idea how long the work will go on for...

Meanwhile, I and lots of others have no Internet and no info...not good VM.

Anybody know anymore?

Darren

iglu
10-03-2008, 19:03
type 192.168.100.1

username root
password root

click on Event log

MovedGoalPosts
10-03-2008, 19:04
Pretty poor that the service status page hasn't been updated on this since the 9th March, yet it's clearly unresolved.

D_Skids
10-03-2008, 19:18
I don't know if it is related but the DNS has gone to pot again!

I am getting almost constant proxy errors no matter what site I go onto including this one.
I have set it to no proxy and the webcache.virginmedia.com setting. If webcache is set it says the proxy is refusing connections (or similar) and if I set it to direct it just doesn't work!

It is really annoying. I haven't changed anything my end (apart from what I did above)

I am in Northampton (NN3)