PDA

View Full Version : Cable Virgin Media

baldeagle690
09-03-2008, 10:57
I intend to get my BT line taken out and have Virgin Media cable installed for phone and broadband. I believe a box is installed outside. I want to wire myself from then on, are there any wiring diagrams online or is it just Cat5E to phone sockets and Satelite coax to TV or is it more complicated? I am not having cables clipped across the front of my house. Cheers

Graham M
09-03-2008, 10:59
Far more complex than that, they are unlikely to proceed with the installation without using their own kit.

what?
09-03-2008, 11:19
dont think they will install without theyre own kit.
if they do, then you wud only be able to get very limited support from the faults lines because most of it is your wiring and the problems could be coming from that.

i would say more hassel than its worth.
either stick with what you have or allow them to do a standard install

baldeagle690
09-03-2008, 11:32
I've seen some pretty horrendous clipping across the front of houses locally. As a sparky I can do a much better job under the floorboards and am actually qualified which many of the 'installers' aren't - just 'trained'. I would have thought if they connected my wiring into their box it would be ok?????

what?
09-03-2008, 11:48
i'd doubt it.
you can always phone up their sales dep and enquire but i think it would be pretty pointless. the number for sales is 0800 953 5353.

of course the other option may b to get installed, then change the wiring but if they know you have done this and its not their set up (if you ever got a tech out) then they wont give you support (and may then charge you for a tech callout.)

flowrebmit
09-03-2008, 11:58
Not only do you get a brown box and black wiring on the outside of the house, you also get at least one white box (measuring approx. 9x4x13cm (WxDxH)) on the inside of the house plus white coax upto the Cable modem and TV Set Top Box terminated with F-type plugs if I recall correctly. I don't what you get if you also have a phone.

lostandconfused
09-03-2008, 13:00
you could always just have a standard install and when the guy comes ask him not to actually clip the cable to anything and leave a bit extra and then you can do the install when he has gone?

RDDearing
09-03-2008, 13:05
Not only do you get a brown box and black wiring on the outside of the house, you also get at least one white box (measuring approx. 9x4x13cm (WxDxH)) on the inside of the house plus white coax upto the Cable modem and TV Set Top Box terminated with F-type plugs if I recall correctly. I don't what you get if you also have a phone.

You get a master phone socket cabled from the internal white box.

xspeedyx
09-03-2008, 15:41
you could always just have a standard install and when the guy comes ask him not to actually clip the cable to anything and leave a bit extra and then you can do the install when he has gone?

My dad done this with the extra stb and tech never charged me when I had a fault so you will fine to do that

what?
09-03-2008, 15:47
yeah, you won't get charged if you have a fault that is still something gone wrong on the virgin equipment, but if he were to get a technician out, and the result was that one of the cables fitted by a cus was at fault, he would b liable for a £75 charge.
not all tech would apply this charge but there is some who would, so just pointing out that he has to be careful what he does with the set up and be aware of posssible charges.

obv he has said he is qualified so doubt it would b a problem, but just letting him know.

Druchii
10-03-2008, 00:50
Simply a case of asking the installers to fit it all, but not actually attach it all, or even get them to overlook your fitting job.

They do get assessed more often than you might think after their work is complete though, so they may well not agree to it. (i.e. Their work is often checked by the higher-up bods)