PDA

View Full Version : Virgin cable modem......need to open ports?

ives
08-03-2008, 09:57
Hi,
A friend of mine has just got Virgin broadband via cable and he had the whole lot fitted by Virgin, I think.
Anyway, he's clueless about computers and wants me to set up bittorrent on his PC.
I've tried asking him what modem/router he has but he hasn't a clue what he's got :) All he gave me was a model number: E08C007

My question is about how to open ports on his system:

Does anyone know if this E08C007 is just a modem (i.e doesn't have a firewall and so no need to open ports) or if it is a modem/router in which I will have to access the settings in order to open ports?

If the latter, does anyone ahve a link to an online manual?

Many thanks for your help.

Regards,
ives :)

what?
08-03-2008, 10:23
just a modem, no need to open any ports.

ives
08-03-2008, 11:24
thanks mate :)

Dai
08-03-2008, 14:53
Hmmm. Clueless + broadband + no firewall sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

I'd suggest that he adds a firewall to the system. Pretty much anything that doesn't say Symantec or McAffee on the label should be good.

I'm sure that folks here will chip in with favourites if you ask.
:)

what?
08-03-2008, 16:45
think you might have mis-read that dainasty, either you did, or i am.

i'm only seeing mention of a firewall with regards to questioning if there is an inbuilt one on the webstar modem.

Kymmy
08-03-2008, 17:24
The E08C007 modem (ambit 255) has no firewall built in at all and is a direct connection from PC to internet. Either a firewall is needed or a router with NAT is recommended as that'll stop any intrusion.

Kymmy

ives
08-03-2008, 18:13
For what it's worth, I enabled the Windows firewall when I built his computer ;)

Dai
08-03-2008, 18:28
think you might have mis-read that dainasty, either you did, or i am.

i'm only seeing mention of a firewall with regards to questioning if there is an inbuilt one on the webstar modem.

My apologies, you're absolutely right.
Must remember to engage brain before posting..