PDA

View Full Version : I take it all back.

janipewter
07-03-2008, 13:21
Oh my god.

For the last year or so my internet has been shockingly slow. What was supposed to be 20Mb was actually 2Mb. I've phoned CS and TS numerous times to be told that my pc was full of spyware, my router is not supported, and tonnes of other bs. So I've just had to deal with it.

Today an engineer turns up, saying that my mum had booked one to come around because our TV pictures are freezing sometimes. He checked the signal levels and he said they were a bit high, so he fitted an attenuator.

While he was doing that I asked if the same issue could be the cause of the slow broadband, he said possibly.

Came up to check, ran a speedtest, 16ms ping but only 1732Kbps to Maidenhead server. Bit slow eh? Noticed we were running an SB4200 - said that's quite old and *PROBABLY WON'T BE ABLE TO HANDLE 20MB SPEEDS*. He swapped it for some SA Webstar modem, and fitted an attenuator too. Phoned up and registered the MAC, waited 2 mins then it came online. Ran a speedtest and GOD DAMN!!!!

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/03/55.png

"Richard" is now my new best friend!!!

Needless to say I am a very satisfied customer.

smeagoly1
07-03-2008, 14:17
Yep had the same problem and same modem specs, It's a pitty VM didn't bother asking me or finding out if my modem was cabable of 20meg when they upgraded me!

Countles calls and the same BS... but once I mailed tech support UK and got someone in the Uk, it was a totally different kettle of fish.

Straight away they said "no way your SB modem can handle that so here is a new SA Webstar in the post" 24 hours later it arrives! 20meg cable ever since, pitty I have to move now and go back to ADSL :(
Satisfied yes you can be, but VM should have done their homework before taking over another ISP and just basically asking...whay hardware you ahve before allowing an upgrade.

Keep VM Tech support UK based peteition i think is needed.
Always got a decent straight answer or information,on the few times I got through to Uk and not diverted to the sub-continent.
Always been thumbs up for UK side of support.

frogstamper
07-03-2008, 17:05
Here Here

tweetypie/8
08-03-2008, 00:04
Oh my god.

For the last year or so my internet has been shockingly slow. What was supposed to be 20Mb was actually 2Mb. I've phoned CS and TS numerous times to be told that my pc was full of spyware, my router is not supported, and tonnes of other bs. So I've just had to deal with it.

Today an engineer turns up, saying that my mum had booked one to come around because our TV pictures are freezing sometimes. He checked the signal levels and he said they were a bit high, so he fitted an attenuator.

While he was doing that I asked if the same issue could be the cause of the slow broadband, he said possibly.

Came up to check, ran a speedtest, 16ms ping but only 1732Kbps to Maidenhead server. Bit slow eh? Noticed we were running an SB4200 - said that's quite old and *PROBABLY WON'T BE ABLE TO HANDLE 20MB SPEEDS*. He swapped it for some SA Webstar modem, and fitted an attenuator too. Phoned up and registered the MAC, waited 2 mins then it came online. Ran a speedtest and GOD DAMN!!!!

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/03/55.png

Needless to say I am a very satisfied customer.

good for you.;)

blade85
08-03-2008, 00:15

haha!

have fun with the improved speeds.

frogstamper
08-03-2008, 21:08
Its nice to know some people at VM care, isnt

janipewter
09-03-2008, 17:49
Oh well haha this was short lived, now back to 1Mb speeds since yesterday and have seen no improvement since.

Suppose it was nice to get 20Mb for a few hours, so I could enjoy getting the service I am actually supposed to be getting for once.

slowcoach
09-03-2008, 17:56
Oh well haha this was short lived, now back to 1Mb speeds since yesterday and have seen no improvement since.

Suppose it was nice to get 20Mb for a few hours, so I could enjoy getting the service I am actually supposed to be getting for once.
Same here, struggling to reach 1Mb. :rolleyes:

janipewter
09-03-2008, 19:22
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/03/48.png

I really don't understand how this works.

Speeds are ***** for 10 months. Engineer visits. Modem replaced and attenuator fitted to line. 20Mb speeds for the best part of 12 hours - very happy!!!! Back to ***** speeds. Going to be like this for the next year? Probably.

Someone please explain why this happens, thanks.

---------- Post added at 19:22 ---------- Previous post was at 17:56 ----------

I think it's getting close to leaving time for VM BB, I've put up with enough of being ****ed about by them. Just had an email from samknows that Bethere are unbundling their equipment in my exchange later this year, I know who I'll be switching to.

deed02392
09-03-2008, 19:52
Haha, I just saw your old result in the Merged speed tests thread, and then came to see this one! Congratulations, enjoy ;)

hwangeruk
09-03-2008, 23:31
Just out of interest, where do you live?

Hersham area users have been having terrible problems over the last few days.

(Reigate, Leatherhead, Epsom and Addlestone)

janipewter
09-03-2008, 23:54
Plymouth.

popper
10-03-2008, 00:58
"friday 07-03-2008, 13:21
sunday Yesterday, 19:22
I really don't understand how this works.

Speeds are ***** for 10 months. Engineer visits. Modem replaced and attenuator fitted to line. 20Mb speeds for the best part of 12 hours - very happy!!!! Back to ***** speeds. Going to be like this for the next year? Probably."

it seems pritty simple really,you have now got the new CM and correct levels etc, its proven you can get the full speed with it and your PC kit for the friday afternoon.

the only thing left AFTER you stop using the speed test and start testing with real data sets (the VM FTP server and Linux ISOs etc)is your UBR and its oversubscription....

you will notice that during the week days, before school ends you get some good speeds perhaps, they need to sort your UBR and its over subed users with a reseg.