PDA

View Full Version : 20Mb tweaks?

GeoffB
07-03-2008, 09:07
I've just upgraded to 20Mb this morning. Am getting 8/9Mb straight away, so I'm quite pleased (yes,I have re-booted everything!). I've seen references to MTU and DNS tweaks on here for 20Mb, but I can't find them, so can someone send me the links please. I'm using a Belkin router with 3 wireless connections maximum. Is there any point trying to get a discount from VM now, as I have TV, phone and broadband paying full whack? I'm very pleased with the company's phone and broadband (TV highly erratic) and would like to stay on.

techyguy4
07-03-2008, 10:33
try this link.

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/20mb-broadband-optimisation.php

xspeedyx
07-03-2008, 11:15
Make sure when you are checking your speed do it when you have the modem directly connected to the pc and if u want a discount call em and see what they say

Just John
07-03-2008, 12:14
one of the best 'tweaks' I did was changing from VM DNS servers to OpenDNS

techyguy4
08-03-2008, 14:32

Hi John,does it makes any difference for the browsing speed or the download speed as well?

ceedee
08-03-2008, 15:24
Hi John,does it makes any difference for the browsing speed or the download speed as well?
Certainly speeds up loading of web pages so I'd guess anything that requires a DNS lookup.

Hatchet
08-03-2008, 15:47

How does one do this? does it work from behind a router too?

Edit: Also in this guide http://www.virginmedia.com/help/20mb...timisation.php (http://www.virginmedia.com/help/20mb-broadband-optimisation.php), when told to unistall QOS Packet Sheduler i did not unistall it but "unticked" it ( presuming it turns it off either way?) All this did was limit my Connection to 4mb? when turned off I go up to about 13 mb? can anyone else confirm or explai nwhy it goes "worse" when QOS packet sheduler is turned off? I tried it many times so it was not a one off freak occurence. I must admit though it does say "These instructions are based on single computers being connected to the cable modem" and I am behind a router.

ceedee
08-03-2008, 19:20
How does one do this? does it work from behind a router too?
Guess it depends on your router...
Search through your config settings and you'll find the controls there somewhere.

DerekRothwell
08-03-2008, 19:32
Those tweaks don't work too well if you have Vista - best I could manage was about 9 - 10mb, so went back to 4mb.

Hatchet
08-03-2008, 20:22
Guess it depends on your router...
Search through your config settings and you'll find the controls there somewhere.

Only settings I could find on the router were:

Domain Name Server (DNS) address

Get automatically from isp

or

Use these DNS servers (with a box for like an ip address eg 0 .0 .0 .0 )

if this is it? what do i put in for the DNS's?

Edit: Nevermind found out opendns was a website and got the corresponding numbers needed :)

ceedee
08-03-2008, 21:02
Edit: Nevermind found out opendns was a website and got the corresponding numbers needed :)
:tu:
Pleased you figured it out!

(I suspect you'll have to reboot your computer before it'll switch to using the new DNS servers.
Or was it the router?
Oh, sod it. Reboot them both!)
;)

Hatchet
09-03-2008, 21:37
Yes rebooted both for good measure :tu:. Did a speedtest and got 16 mb which left me gobbsmacked. Thought "this cant be true", I then reverted back to "gain DNS from ISP" and still 16 mb, Just incase I left my DNS on opendns's over the night and did a speed test today and back to regular slow 4 mb crap:dozey:

Felt like someone from vm peed on my bonfire :(

ceedee
09-03-2008, 22:45
I feel your pain, Hatchet!

However at least you now know that your computers and router *can* achieve near-maximum speeds...

I'm still mystified by the results you got switching QOS in and out -- might be worth experimenting further with that. (My XP desktop has it unticked btw.)

I've been keeping an eye on the Tech Support newsgroup today and I've been impressed by the speed of response and access to engineering update schedules those folk have.
They'll expect you to be able to connect a pc straight into your cable modem and do 3xpings to a common website (usually bbc.co.uk); a netstat -a to check your open connections; and a multiple download test from VM's gaming server and, say, Zen's equivalent.
If they can't spot a problem, they'll check to see if there's any work scheduled in your area or suggest another course of action.

Probably worth a go, if you don't mind following their script for a short while.

chickendippers
09-03-2008, 22:59
Read the guide. It advises against making these optimizations in Vista.

ceedee
09-03-2008, 23:15
Read the guide. It advises against making these optimizations in Vista.
Could've fooled me!
I've found the bit that says: if you're using Vista then we don't advise you use the optimisation tool (http://www.virginmedia.com/help/20mb-broadband-optimisation.php#windows-vista-users)?
But nobody has suggested that Hatchet use it.

Could you explain what you mean?

Hatchet
10-03-2008, 00:36
On XP anyway ;) but do have another machine on the router with vista on with sames speeds at the moment.

hokkers999
11-03-2008, 00:50
I've just upgraded to 20Mb this morning. Am getting 8/9Mb straight away, so I'm quite pleased (yes,I have re-booted everything!). I've seen references to MTU and DNS tweaks on here for 20Mb, but I can't find them, so can someone send me the links please. I'm using a Belkin router with 3 wireless connections maximum. Is there any point trying to get a discount from VM now, as I have TV, phone and broadband paying full whack? I'm very pleased with the company's phone and broadband (TV highly erratic) and would like to stay on.

You don't need to change anything. Ethernet just works plain and simple, messing about with it is entirely unnecessary.

Go and look on the IEEE web site and actually read the specs - this is for the benefit of all those who are going to jump up and down and say otherwise.