PDA

View Full Version : Navy Career

dd2k
06-03-2008, 01:08
Hey guys looking for abit of advice.
Im about finish uni and will hopefully graduate with at least a 2:1 degree in network engineering

Looking at my options, I'm currently looking at applying as an Engineering Officer(information systems) in the royal navy. I was wondering if anyone on here could give any insight or any advice on what life in the navy is like.

Thanks
Dan Speed

greencreeper
06-03-2008, 01:22
Well, there's not being a major naval battle since WW2, and these days the most they do is fire shells at inland targets, and raid the odd boat or two. So I would imagine it's very safe. All the girls/boys like a sailor. Get to see some nice countries - ones that you're not blowing up. Sounds alright to me - if I had my time again.

webcrawler2050
06-03-2008, 02:56
Not sure about the Navy.. But I would say this.. you will be stuck on a boat / sub for weeks on end.. with nowt but water around you.

I am just about to join the RAF as an IT Speciliast, they are crying out for people aparantly, anywho - I got my interview shortly.

Mr_love_monkey
06-03-2008, 06:49
Sounds alright to me - if I had my time again.
Surrounded by all the seamen??? (sic) :)

Maggy
06-03-2008, 09:26
Not sure about the Navy.. But I would say this.. you will be stuck on a boat / sub for weeks on end.. with nowt but water around you.

I am just about to join the RAF as an IT Speciliast, they are crying out for people aparantly, anywho - I got my interview shortly.

Not totally true.They do make port on a regular basis..Not necessarily home port but a port of sorts.It seems a good life for a young unattached young person..your costs of living are minimal and you have plenty of cash in your pocket.You get a good training, just make sure that you get the civilian equivalents under your belt as you go along, your future civilian employment may be dependent on this.Try to put some of your spare cash by as a deposit on a home as when you do leave the service you will need somewhere to live.;)

Go for it, both of you.:D

dd2k
06-03-2008, 12:40
cheers for the comments, keep em comming.

good luck with your interview webcrawler.

Spending that much time away from home will be the thing i find the hardest but im sure i can conquer that.
From what ive read as a graduate ill be able to go in as an officer and will be able to continue my postgraduate study whilst serving so finding work once ive finished serving shouldnt be problem :)

WHISTLED
06-03-2008, 13:27
Pass the vaseline!!

Hugh
06-03-2008, 13:30
Only problem I would see is being a a floating Exocet target - air-to-sea missiles are fairly advanced nowadays, and unless you have a Phalanx-style anti-missile system, the odds are against you (imho).

Anyhoo, back to subject - shouldn't the question be "what do I want to do?". Forces life is completely different from civvy street (more comradely, more constrained), and different forces have different attributes - if I was you, I would do a SWOT analysis, looking at the things you want from life, then comparing that against what each of the forces (and elsewhere) has to offer.

HTH

cleshe
06-03-2008, 14:35
Only problem I would see is being a a floating Exocet target - air-to-sea missiles are fairly advanced nowadays, and unless you have a Phalanx-style anti-missile system, the odds are against you (imho).

Anyhoo, back to subject - shouldn't the question be "what do I want to do?". Forces life is completely different from civvy street (more comradely, more constrained), and different forces have different attributes - if I was you, I would do a SWOT analysis, looking at the things you want from life, then comparing that against what each of the forces (and elsewhere) has to offer.

HTH

If you take to service life and fit in , it can be great. If you don't it can equally be hell.If you do not like being told what to do/ think, don't join!

bopdude
06-03-2008, 14:37
My partners nephew is in the R.N. he has seen a lot of the world already, he's only 23 IIRC, atm they are off the Falkland's ( hope I can say that ) Go for it :tu: See the world and getting paid to do it :D

Mr_love_monkey
06-03-2008, 14:56
I remember hearing somewhere, that in the navy, you can sail the seven seas, in the navy, you can put your mind at ease...

Personally I think you should protect your motherland, I think you should join your fellow man...

Come on! - a collection of posts and not a single Village people comment... you people, *sheesh*. :)

Maggy
06-03-2008, 15:01
I remember hearing somewhere, that in the navy, you can sail the seven seas, in the navy, you can put your mind at ease...

Personally I think you should protect your motherland, I think you should join your fellow man...

Come on! - a collection of posts and not a single Village people comment... you people, *sheesh*. :)

I gather time is passing slooooowwwly at work this afternoon?:D

Mr_love_monkey
06-03-2008, 15:17
I gather time is passing slooooowwwly at work this afternoon?:D

Actually I'm very busy - hard at work trying to believe unbelievable things. It makes my head hurt

dd2k
06-03-2008, 15:44

Haha i was wondering how long before someone started lol, i can singing it in my head when im reading the info lol

Pass the vaseline!!
You can keep any vaseline covered items away from me! thank you!

WHISTLED
06-03-2008, 15:52
You can keep any vaseline covered items away from me! thank you!

Real men do it dry - Way to go!

Hom3r
06-03-2008, 16:18
Something else to think about.

Being an armed force, there could be a possibilty that you could go to war. You may even have to face the grime fact you my have to kill somebody, before they kill you, and that person could be male/female and younger than you.

Hugh
06-03-2008, 17:20
My partners nephew is in the R.N. he has seen a lot of the world already, he's only 23 IIRC, atm they are off the Falkland's ( hope I can say that ) Go for it :tu: See the world and getting paid to do it :D
If you had ever been to the Falklands, I don't think you would be putting that in as a "plus". ;)

tweetypie/8
06-03-2008, 19:42
Im about finish uni and will hopefully graduate with at least a 2:1 degree in network engineering

Looking at my options, I'm currently looking at applying as an Engineering Officer(information systems) in the royal navy. I was wondering if anyone on here could give any insight or any advice on what life in the navy is like.

Thanks
Dan Speed

beware of the barrel.:D

spike7451
10-03-2008, 19:55
Take a look on www.rumration.co.uk

Hugh
10-03-2008, 20:18
Take a look on www.rumration.co.uk (http://www.rumration.co.uk)
www.e-goat.co.uk (http://www.e-goat.co.uk) is useful for the viewpoint of ex and serving RAF personnel.

blackthorn
10-03-2008, 20:40
Spent 9 years in submarines in the R.N. I wish I never left now.
Only consolation is that my daughter is in now, so she is carrying on the family tradition.
Good tip. If you go into General Service, (surface fleet), then when you hit port, you sleep onboard the ship.
If you go into submarines, when you hit port, you sleep in hotels, with subsistence allowance.

papa smurf
10-03-2008, 21:09
as the old song goes "i joined the navy to see the world and what did i see i saw the sea"

spike7451
10-03-2008, 21:34
www.e-goat.co.uk (http://www.e-goat.co.uk) is useful for the viewpoint of ex and serving RAF personnel.

Or www.arrse.co.uk for pongo's!:D

Hugh
10-03-2008, 21:46
Or www.arrse.co.uk (http://www.arrse.co.uk) for pongo's!:D
Where ever the army goes, that's where the ............ ;)

(from an ex-crab)

Chris
10-03-2008, 22:24
Well, there's not being a major naval battle since WW2, and these days the most they do is fire shells at inland targets, and raid the odd boat or two. So I would imagine it's very safe. All the girls/boys like a sailor. Get to see some nice countries - ones that you're not blowing up. Sounds alright to me - if I had my time again.

Simon Weston, or any of the dozen or so who recently spent time as guests of the Mad Mullahs in Tehran, might disagree with you ...

bw41101
10-03-2008, 23:52

Thanks
Dan Speed

Go for it! whether it be the navy or the Air force - forget the army! You'll learn a skill which will help you when you return to civvy street, you'll make loads of friends, you'll have a chance to travel as well. In addition to this, you'll earn a respect for yourself that you never new you had.

I've recommended many young people to join the forces and every one of those who took the advice thanked me afterwards.

Good luck and Si thee

greencreeper
11-03-2008, 01:35
Simon Weston, or any of the dozen or so who recently spent time as guests of the Mad Mullahs in Tehran, might disagree with you ...
IIRC his boat was bombed, which is not a naval engagement, and if I understand the Tehran bit, well they did go without a fight. Hardly Trafalgar was it. I do take your point though.