PDA

View Full Version : Am i capped already?

D_TOX
05-03-2008, 22:57
Just got my 2MB VM broadband last week, Speedtest.net is tonight at 21:55 reporting 960Kbs Down and 115Up... I haven't even downloaded anything today, just been streaming, browsing the net and using chat programs like Xfire. I noticed it was slower since i couldn't stream anything without it pausing. C'mon, can i expect this regularly or what? Why are they capping me?

bbwannabe
05-03-2008, 23:03
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

D_TOX
05-03-2008, 23:22
During peak times, the top 3% of downloaders on the Size: M package download at least 300MB of traffic each, with the top 3% of uploaders uploading at least 150MB of traffic each.

Any users hitting this amount during peak times (4pm till 9pm) will have their broadband speed temporarily traffic managed – their download speed will be set to 1Mb, with their upload speed set to 128Kb. This will last for 5 hours from when the traffic management policy is applied.

Even if a Broadband Size: M user has their speed temporarily traffic managed, they can still download over 2,500 music files per day.

Thanks for that link mate, informative. Still, i don't see how i've crossed that line and put in the 3% category? I've download nothing, and only been browsing/streaming. Thats a shitty policy idea really. 5 hours AFTER the traffic limit has been applied they remove it? Great, so if i get it at 6 i gotta wait 5 hours till 11PM before i can start using it again fully?

Sigma
05-03-2008, 23:35
I've download nothing, and only been browsing/streaming.
It's the streaming that does it, cos it's basically the same as downloading in terms of bandwidth use. It'll take less than an hour while streaming a vid at max speed to hit the cap on 2Mbps broadband.

D_TOX
06-03-2008, 00:22
It's the streaming that does it, cos it's basically the same as downloading in terms of bandwidth use. It'll take less than an hour while streaming a vid at max speed to hit the cap on 2Mbps broadband.

Damn, thats sucky. Ah well, ill try to work around that. :td:

dev
06-03-2008, 01:40
... I haven't even downloaded anything today, just been streaming, browsing the net and using chat programs like Xfire....

downloading = data being transferred from the internet to your PC, how do you think web sites / streamed data / chat messages get to you? :p: