PDA

View Full Version : Connection Drop - Virgin Media

dugandav
04-03-2008, 00:01
:( Hi Folks – Can anyone help me with this problem; I have just received an Atlantis EPC2100R2 Cable Modem from Virgin Media. For the last 6 months the line has continued to drop out and the only way I could re-establish a link was to reboot the Modem.

I have had a real battle with Virgin Media, they think its my end, anyway to cut a long story short I rewired the whole network at home with Shielded Twisted Pair, purchased a New D Link-624 Router and a D Link DES 1008 Switch just to eliminate possible problems. The link would deteriorate and then finally fail, I would then phone Tech Support, we would then go through all the checks and they would say, It looks alright from here and then it would start to work for a while. And then it would drop out again, they finally agreed to change the Modem last week and now the problem has started to reappear again.

I have considered that there might be a water ingression problem on the pipe but the tech support have been so dismissive that I just don’t know what more I can do to try and locate this intermittent fault – Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Dave

Current Modem Status:’ – 15:20 On 2 March 2008

Downstream Channel
The data shown in the table below provides information about the signal coming from the network to your cable modem.
Downstream Status Operational
Channel ID 7
Downstream Frequency 331000000 Hz
Modulation 256QAM
Bit Rate 4096000 bits/sec
Power Level 9.0 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio 41.1 dB

Upstream Channel
The data shown in the table below provides information about the signal being transmitted to the network from your cable modem.
Upstream Status Operational
Channel ID 4
Upstream Frequency 37500000 Hz
Modulation QPSK
Bit Rate 384000 bits/sec
Power Level 37.0 dBmV

webcrawler2050
04-03-2008, 00:45
Sounds daft, but is there any other devices near the router, by this I mean maybe a wireless telephone, mobile, telly something like this - It may be electrical interfearence. I know you can get Virgin to some and check the box at the end or the road, it may be a knackered cable some where too.

I take it you have tried a different router / modem?

Levels seem fine from a quick scan.

Is this totally intermittent or does it happen at certain times every day, or different times. If you could provide as much detail as possible.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 00:45 ---------- Previous post was at 00:44 ----------

What about Ping times, how do they fair up?

dugandav
05-03-2008, 00:51
:erm:Interesting note about the wireless phone, I really don't know since you have mentioned it. I bought a new hands free phone a couple of months ago but I don't know if I can tie in the dates with the drop in service - Good point though.

According to Myspeed the stats look ok;

Round Trip Time
Jitter Packet Loss
8.3 0
Quality of Service

I have purchased a new Router and updated the Firmware, I could try a Linksys 54G as the others were DLink but where do you draw the line. The problem is that it is an intermittent fault I need to really monitor it in real time and even if I do that, if I loose the signal then it is too late. I am now monitoring the weather but if it is water then this may not have an affect until some hours after the down poor. The problem is what do I say to the Virgin Techies when they eventually have to come out when they say to me well it looks alright to me!

I will move the cordless phone further away from the Router/Modem and monitor that. I have just purchase VisualRoute 2008 and I see if that can be setup to monitor the line continually. Thanks for your ideas

The trouble is that I have tried so many things that I am starting to get paranoid, Goaway M15 & 007.
:mad:

webcrawler2050
05-03-2008, 00:59
Yarp lol!

To be honest, I have been having wierd dropping issues all day. It might be worth checking to see if your area is being upgraded - I.E from 4mb to 10mb