PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Wireless

Bozo
28-02-2008, 01:05
Hi,

I have a problem with my wireless internet connection and I'm at a loss to try and solve it.

Originally I got the wireless package from telewest, they sent me a Netgear wireless point which connected to the TV set top box and a Netgear dongle for the PC. However, last month my TV set top box bit the dust and had to be replaced with a new one and I was informed by Virgin Media that the wireless through the new set top box was no longer possible and that they would have to come and install a cable modem.

An engineer came and installed the modem and connected up the wireless access point to the cable modem and all was fine for about 3 weeks, but now all of a sudden I'm having problems connecting to the access point and when it does connect it seems to vary in speeds quite a bit and also the connection keeps dropping out. Before going out and replacing the everything I rang Virgin Media who just washed their hands completely of it (although I can tell you I'm not letting this drop), so I rang Netgear technical support and was on with them for about 30 minutes trying different things to try and get this working. Eventually I got transferred to a senior technician who after a couple of minutes starts telling me that a wireless access point cannot be connected directly to cable modem as it won't work, it must be connected to a router. I explained to the guy that the access point was working fine for 3 weeks prior to this, but again got no joy from him as he would not back down on the fact that the access point could work when connected directly to a cable modem.

So at the moment I'm stuck, I've tried connecting the access point directly to the PC so I can log into the setup, but so far I've had no joy with being able to do this for some reason, and I've no idea what to try next.

Anybody any ideas ?? I'm beginning to think that this access point might have had some firmware installed that was specific to Telewest.

Thanks

Quam256
28-02-2008, 07:20
I tried the same thing myself trying to connect wireless router supplied by them to a cable modem without any luck at all.I think it is to do with the way the routers are configured as you cant even access the config page.Cable only support you when it is directly connected to a pc ,if is through a router you wont get much inthe way of support.

Ernie_C
28-02-2008, 10:48
I tried the same thing myself trying to connect wireless router supplied by them to a cable modem without any luck at all.I think it is to do with the way the routers are configured as you cant even access the config page.Cable only support you when it is directly connected to a pc ,if is through a router you wont get much inthe way of support.
All of the above is UNTRUE.

The router supplied by Telewest is supported by Virgin Media and the config page is accessible.

Joxer
28-02-2008, 12:25
The OP said he had a wireless access point (WAP), not a router, there are significant differences, the wap will pass the ip it is given by the modem/stb not a 192 ip and will thus only allow one pc at a time to connect through it. The normal boot sequence suggested for routers is power up modem first, wait for it to connect then power up router, however the WAPs like it the other way around.. Have you tried powering up the WAP first and then wiating a minute or so before powering up the modem?

Three models of WAP were supplied by telewest a blue one a silver one and a white one, which is it you have? The blue and white models are routers with, as you have guessed modified firmware, the config page should be accessible though, but you may need to use a static ip to do so (something in the range 192.168.0.x where x is between 2 and 254). It may also be worth trying a reset of the WAP using the reset button on the back - it needs to be held in using a paperclip or something for about ten seconds to perfom a reset.

I'm not sure if the blue WAP has a conifg page but I'm fairly sure it doesn't have an ethernet port either so I don't think you have one.

I take it that the connection is finr if you connect directly to the modem? Have you tried this? If so it is most likely that something somewhere has started interfering with the wireless signal, the solution there is to try a different channel but I think (but am not sure) that it may not possibe on telewest supplied WAPs.

Bozo
28-02-2008, 13:38
The WAP is white in colour and is a Netgear WG602 V3.

I used the manual for this model of WAP off Netgear's website and followed their instructions on how to log in to the setup, but it didn't work, which is when I began to think that maybe Telewest weren't using the stock firmaware.

I don't think it really matters whether the WAP is powered up before or after the cable modem as I can still connect either way, it just quite a while and numerous tries to connect.

I have a Linksys router that I'm going to try in place of the WAP to see if the problem is still there, at least then I'll know if the WAP or the wireless dongle might be at fault.

jfant1
28-02-2008, 17:07
I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the Linksys router. I have been happily using a Linksys WRT54GS router with internet via a set top box until yesterday.

Stupidly I phoned Virgin to get them to install a modem so I could received the free speed upgrade (4meg to 10meg) in the next few weeks/months. I can access the internet now if the ethernet cable goes directly from the new modem and in to the back of my PC, but as soon as I try to go through the router (still using cables) I can't get on the internet (despite being assured prior to getting the modem that all would be fine).

I have tried about 10 calls to Virgin. I can't understand them, they can't understand me. They offer no help whatsoever other than to unplug the cables. I've been on to Linksys for help and whilst they are trying, they can't get to the bottom of it either.

Has anyone managed to get on the net with a Lonksys router and one of the modems Virgin supply (ie not via the set top box) ?

fatassmichael
28-02-2008, 17:16
jfant, welcome to the forum, have you tried powering everything down, connecting modem -> router -> pc, then power up modem, wait for the lights to to stop flashing, power up router, wait for the lights to stop flashing, power up pc.

jfant1
28-02-2008, 17:56
I have..powered down pc, powered down router, powered down modem...powered up modem, powered up router, powered up PC...lost count how many times! I've also made sure I've got up to date firmware on the router.

Linksys asked me to check with Virgin whether the new modem is cable or DLS. Virgin told me it's a cable modem so I assume that's right? Excuse me if I sound silly, I know virgin is cable but I don't know what DLS means...

---------- Post added at 16:56 ---------- Previous post was at 16:55 ----------

sorry, should have said DSL...

fatassmichael
28-02-2008, 18:01
I assume they meant dsl (adsl), which is broadband through your telephone line, what you can also try, is to clone your network cards MAC address in the router config pages, which will effectively tell the modem it is connecting to the pc, rather than the router.

jfant1
28-02-2008, 18:18
They did say DSL...so ADSL and DSL are the same thing...?

Have tried the MAC address cloning button - that's actually how the Linksys help desk told me it had to be done and I'd already done that from their instructions on their web site. Nightmare!

Very grateful for your thoughts and opinions though...

Jim

Tech_Boy
28-02-2008, 18:32
basically it boils down to

ADSL = via BT phoneline

DSL = Via Cable

Bozo
28-02-2008, 19:53
The problem I have is actually with my sisters cable, she's not very computer literate so I'm helping her out. The Linksys router is my own router and I currently use it with no problems at all on my own cable connection, as I have two pc's and a laptop using it.

When I bought my Linksys router I also bought a linksys wireless adpater as well, and I just followed the setup from the manual which was really easy. With having both a Linksys router and wireless adapter all I had to do was install the software for the wireless adapter and connect it to the PC, then switch on the router and press a button on the front of it and that automatically configured wireless adapter settings and everything. This is first router I've owned so I can't compare it with any other brands for home routers, but I found very straight forward to setup.

Akia
28-02-2008, 20:19

ADSL = via BT phoneline

DSL = Via Cable

Nope DSL is basically ADSL or SDSL and I think theres VDSL. Its just variants on technology, ADSL gives you a fast download but slower upload. SDSL give you the same upload as download but is only mainly used for business. All of these use the BT phone line

Cable is just cable.

Quam256
28-02-2008, 20:22
All of the above is UNTRUE.

The router supplied by Telewest is supported by Virgin Media and the config page is accessible.

I did not mean a router supplied by them .I meant one you purchase yourself.Sorry about misunderstanding ...

jfant1
28-02-2008, 20:28
I bought the same. A router and adapter from Linksys. I agree, it was easy to set up but only when I was getting my broadband from the set top box!

Does anyone know if these wireless adapters are compatible with different routers? So if I left Virgin and went with another company, could I use the Linksys wireless adapter with another company's free wireless router?

Tech_Boy
28-02-2008, 20:42
Nope DSL is basically ADSL or SDSL and I think theres VDSL. Its just variants on technology, ADSL gives you a fast download but slower upload. SDSL give you the same upload as download but is only mainly used for business. All of these use the BT phone line

Cable is just cable.

I was just trying to clarify that for a VM (cable) connection you need a router sold as a DSL (or cable) router, as an ADSL router would (normally) have a modem built in, and no WAN/Internet port.

GeoffB
28-02-2008, 22:28
Is encryption set up on the wireless network? Try disabling it and see if you get a connection then. Also, see if broadcasting the SSID makes any difference. Try every channel. (I'm assuming you can get to the router's config. page via ethernet.) If none of this works, there are values that you can enter manually into the TCIP setup box on your computer for the network you want - (you have tried enabling automatic issue of a network address through DHCP already, I assume).

jfant1
29-02-2008, 19:47
Firstly, thank you everyone for trying to help. I have had some success today but am stuck a little further on.

I now have a wired connection working from the new modem to the Linksys router and then on to the pc. I had a virgin engineer in today to fix a problem with the tv. I took the chance to talk about my router problem. He said there have been problems like mine with new modems being placed too far away from the routers even though they are connected by Ethernet cable. Sure enough, as soon as I brought the router in the living room next to the midem and connected them together with a shorter Ethernet cable from the modem to the router it worked first time...

However, I still need help! Its been so long since I created my secure wireless connection that I can't remember how to do it. I know it had something to do with pressing a button on the front if the router and I'm sure that's pretty much all I had to do. I really like a wireless connection indoors as our phones have wifi and its really useful. Can anyone help me with this one?

Thanks again

Jim

techyguy4
01-03-2008, 18:45

Cable is just cable.

nope DSL = CABLE MODEM

Stuart
01-03-2008, 22:24
nope DSL = CABLE MODEM

DSL is the name for a group of technologies that enable broadband over telephone lines.

ADSL (Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line) is the most common variant offered by BT (and other ISPs), although there are other variants such as SDSL (Synchronous Digital Subscriber Line) that are offered in some places (near cities and large towns usually).

Cable is, as has been said, Cable.

haydnwalker
01-03-2008, 22:32

ADSL = via BT phoneline

DSL = Via Cable

Errm...no ADSL = Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line... ie Downstream is faster than upstream.

ADSL is just a variant of DSL. There are different flavours of DSL (ie VDSL = Very high speed Digital Subscriber Line)

Cable is completely different in the way it works. And is always on truely as there's no need to dialup. You technically still need to dialup to ADSL even though its faster.

DEBWALES
05-03-2008, 00:13
I'm having the same problems, but only since getting a new Dell laptop about 6 weeks ago on Windows Vista. Up until then wireless was fine. After about an hour and a half on the phone to Netgear they said they would send me a new wireless router free of charge as there must be something wrong with the old router - that took 2 weeks to arrive. Then after initally seeming to succeed at a wireless set up, when I tried to use upstairs the connection was too weak. I tried to move the router, but had to unplug it, and since then cannot get any wireless on it - another hour on the phone to Netgear, trying to reset routers factory settings to no avail. They have now promised to phone me back within 48 hours - but after reading some of the above posts, I am beginning to lose hope I will ever get wireless again unless I get a new router - and even that might not work! Any ideas?

R.Scott
25-03-2009, 20:31
VIRGIN WIRELESS ... MSN, YAHOO, SKYPE:

Can anyone explain why these constantly fail to work on Wireless. Worked fine when was wired up direct but since going wireless with a laptop, these have stopped working. I've tried all sorts from changing my 54g router to an N1. Even tried the direct wire but still no luck.
MSN fails to deliver messages though I can see my niece typing a message.
Yahoo, just a joke nothing comes thru what so ever.
Skype keeps quitting and restarting.
Other than the communication programs, everything else works fine.
Oh and I've also installed and reinstalled the programs to make sure I have the upto date versions and to solve the problem that way, but no luck.

This is my last chance to see if I can solve the problem, otherwise I think I shall be saying goodbye to Virgin Media and going back to BT who have a fantastic internet service.