PDA

View Full Version : Have I got a foriegn IP?

murfitUK
27-02-2008, 23:14
I'm trying to access my banking at

http://www.bankofscotlandhalifax.co.uk/online/

but getting an error page saying I am not permitted to access this service outside of the UK. I've gone to whatsmyip.org and it says my IP is 86.10.xx.xxx which I'm sure is the same one I've had for yonks.

Also had problems earlier on with the bbc site putting adverts on which, according to their site, they can do for international browsers but not UK.

I am in the UK - unless this morning's earthquake moved us a bit further than we thought.

What can I do? Tried switching off modem but got the same IP again.

Toto
27-02-2008, 23:17

but getting an error page saying I am not permitted to access this service outside of the UK. I've gone to whatsmyip.org and it says my IP is 86.10.xx.xxx which I'm sure is the same one I've had for yonks.

Also had problems earlier on with the bbc site putting adverts on which, according to their site, they can do for international browsers but not UK.

I am in the UK - unless this morning's earthquake moved us a bit further than we thought.

Your IP address is definately UK based. Virgin Media (as NTL) own the range:-
86.0.0.0 - 86.31.255.255.

Too late now, but a trace route to your banks site may have shown the reason why.

Just a thought, were you using a non UK proxy in your browser network settings?

eth01
27-02-2008, 23:37

ahem. the earthquake would make no such changes. i hope thats your (not funny) sense of humor.:)

Druchii
27-02-2008, 23:38
ahem. the earthquake would make no such changes. i hope thats your (not funny) sense of humor.:)
Thought it was rather comical myself :)

eth01
27-02-2008, 23:41

:LOL:

murfitUK
28-02-2008, 14:11
I received a reply from the bbc as I had put in a complaint about the adverts. I filled in their webform and it recorded my IP. Their response is that my IP address was 84.53.xxx.xxx and was routed via America. This was at the same time that I couldn't access my bank account.

I don't have any special settings in my browser settings. Just the "direct connection to internet" selected.

This morning - everything is back to normal.

Thank you for your email regarding bbc.com

The BBC website now features a limited about of advertising when viewed from outside the UK.

Having checked your IP address, I have ascertained that it is routed via America so therefore is not recognised by the BBC as a UK IP address.

Can you please go to the following website to report this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/feedback/bbci_adverts.shtml

The fault will be fixed shortly after reporting it.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write.

Regards

Christine
bbc.com Support Team

webcrawler2050
28-02-2008, 14:31
Okay....... wiered

Anywho

Got to www.whatismyip.com

Then go to www.ripe.net - tope right hand corner "RIPE Database Search" throw in your IP and see what it comes up with, paste the results here.

I think the BBC is wrong somewho here. But do as above and see what happens

SMHarman
28-02-2008, 15:26
Funny this. I don't see adverts from my phone, my home or work access and all are non UK IP addresses. 199.n.n.n from work 68.n.n.n from home but never see adverts on BBC or have difficulty accessing UK internet banking sites!

webcrawler2050
28-02-2008, 15:29
Something isnt right here.

Can you give me the IP.

Have you tried powering down the router, leaving it and hoping you get a new IP?

Tezcatlipoca
28-02-2008, 23:02
murfitUK's IP address is most definitely a UK IP address (I can see it ;) )

Mick Fisher
28-02-2008, 23:50
My VM BB went a bit screwy last week. Some tracerts I made to investigate what was going on revealed I was getting to bbc.co.uk routed via New York :shocked:

Shaun
29-02-2008, 00:19

Perhaps they vibrated out of the wrong side of the bed ;)