PDA

View Full Version : Cable/coaxial modem/router

tsomo2000
27-02-2008, 13:39
Hi All

I think my modem that came with my initial Telewest (now VirginMedia) package has bit the dust. It no longer turns on.

I am at a bit of a loss of how to go about purchasing a new one as all the modems i can find online do not have a relevant coaxial input, and therefore will not accept the coaxial broadband cable.

Can anyone advise me of any modems/routers that will do the same job, and the best place to purchase it from.

Or should i just speak to VirginMedia and tell them that my current modem has died and see what they say?

Thanks

Tsomo2000

lostandconfused
27-02-2008, 13:41
call VM, if it is faulty they will replace it for free.

webcrawler2050
27-02-2008, 13:42
I would use ebay, personally.

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?sofocus=unknown&sbrftog=1&dfsp=32&from=R10&_trksid=m37&satitle=Virgin+Media+Modem&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&a6=-24&a14=-24&a10244=-24&alist=a3801%2Ca6%2Ca51%2Ca47014%2Ca25710%2Ca14%2Ca 10244&pfmode=1&reqtype=1&gcs=2236&pfid=3261&pf_query=Virgin+Media+Modems&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D3&sadis=200&fpos=GL34NB&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ga10244=10425&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=32%26fsoo%3D2

Buy it, throw in the Ethernet cable, away you go!

bopdude
27-02-2008, 13:48
call VM, if it is faulty they will replace it for free.

Thats the way to do it, after all, you only rent the equipment from VM so if it is faulty, they will replace it, as said :tu:

Which we wouldn't want you to do :nono: :D

Oh :welcome: to CF

Acathla
27-02-2008, 13:50

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?sofocus=unknown&sbrftog=1&dfsp=32&from=R10&_trksid=m37&satitle=Virgin+Media+Modem&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&a6=-24&a14=-24&a10244=-24&alist=a3801%2Ca6%2Ca51%2Ca47014%2Ca25710%2Ca14%2Ca 10244&pfmode=1&reqtype=1&gcs=2236&pfid=3261&pf_query=Virgin+Media+Modems&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D3&sadis=200&fpos=GL34NB&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ga10244=10425&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=32%26fsoo%3D2

Which is illegal so we wouldn't want to discuss that as an option would we.

Stuart
27-02-2008, 13:59

Which is against the terms and conditions of service, and as such, will not be discussed here.

webcrawler2050
27-02-2008, 14:00
Wasnt aware it you bought a "normal" 2nd hand modem it was illegal :( :)

Anywho Id say my option no, but speak to VM they should replace.

Stuart W
27-02-2008, 15:31
There's nowt wrong with buying a modem, it's connecting it to VM's network that's the issue.

If you want to use your own modem, VM should be able to add it's MAC address and away you go.
ntl: used to let me use my own equipment on their network, though they still provided me with their own CM as it is 'part of the package'

So, if you have a modem you specifically want to use, give VM a call and see if they can add it's MAC addy.
If not, give VM a call and ask them to replace your existing one.
HTH

webcrawler2050
27-02-2008, 15:33
Aha I see now - sorru guys didn realise.

BarFly
27-02-2008, 15:59
There's nowt wrong with buying a modem, it's connecting it to VM's network that's the issue.

If you want to use your own modem, VM should be able to add it's MAC address and away you go.
ntl: used to let me use my own equipment on their network, though they still provided me with their own CM as it is 'part of the package'

So, if you have a modem you specifically want to use, give VM a call and see if they can add it's MAC addy.
If not, give VM a call and ask them to replace your existing one.
HTH

Theres quite a bit wrong with buying those modems, there are very few modems out there that dont belong or remain the property of VM. All ambit modems, have never been sold, only the old old surfboards, terayons & there was one more which i cant remember where sold to customers.

Just for the record, the one motorola on that link, wouldnt have been bought by the customer when they used it on the ex-telwest network, as its too late a model from what i can see.

Stuart W
27-02-2008, 16:17
Theres quite a bit wrong with buying those modems, there are very few modems out there that dont belong or remain the property of VM. All ambit modems, have never been sold, only the old old surfboards, terayons & there was one more which i cant remember where sold to customers.

Just for the record, the one motorola on that link, wouldnt have been bought by the customer when they used it on the ex-telwest network, as its too late a model from what i can see.

WHAT??

Cable Modems are available to buy brand new from manufacturer and allways have been.
Yes, there are bound to be a few CM's on flea-bay which are ex-ntl / telewest and even some blatantly stolen ones.
However, I pointed out that VM provide the modem FOC so felt no need o point out it would be a bit of a waste to buy a modem which is the same or older than one VM will provide for FREE.

FYI, I used one of these
http://www.hardware.com/product.asp?wlid=2&id=hwic-cable-d-2=&campaignid=1-47513371

Simply because it is *WAY* better / more reliable than anything ntl/VM have ever offered.

BarFly
27-02-2008, 16:26
WHAT??

Cable Modems are available to buy brand new from manufacturer and allways have been.
Yes, there are bound to be a few CM's on flea-bay which are ex-ntl / telewest and even some blatantly stolen ones.
However, I pointed out that VM provide the modem FOC so felt no need o point out it would be a bit of a waste to buy a modem which is the same or older than one VM will provide for FREE.

FYI, I used one of these
http://www.hardware.com/product.asp?wlid=2&id=hwic-cable-d-2=&campaignid=1-47513371

Simply because it is *WAY* better / more reliable than anything ntl/VM have ever offered.

Again, there is quite alot wrong with buying those modems ( read the bit in bold again). I was quite obviously refering to the link provided & the modems in discussion. The fact i referanced the motorola might have been a give away.
Yes you can buy a modem from any manuafactuer in the world, i think they call that free trade :dozey:
To use on the VM network, you should abide to the there T&C's, so only modems of there acceptance can be used.

And by the looks of it, there was an old cisco modem they allowed to connect (to non trial areas ) but that one isnt one of them as its Docsis 2 compatible, so theres probably been a Mac address change on it to make it look like a accepted device..

Stuart W
27-02-2008, 16:29
And by the looks of it, there was an old cisco modem they allowed to connect (to non trial areas ) but that one isnt one of them as its Docsis 2 compatible, so theres probably been a Mac address change on it to make it look like a accepted device..
Not overly sure what you are implying here.....

BarFly
27-02-2008, 16:32
Not overly sure what you are implying here.....

Youve probably spoofed the mac address on that Cisco modem, as the network only allows specific mac ranges to connect, unless you want to provide the first 5 octates of the mac address ( not all of it ) & il go away & learn something new today about the mac ranges allowed to connect to the network.

Stuart W
27-02-2008, 16:38
Thanks for the nasty unfounded accusations, always expected from VM.

FYI, my LEGITIMATE cisco modem's MAC address has never been changed or adjusted in any way whatsoever by any person at any time.

I had many many problems with ntl: quite a few years ago. They agreed MANY things which are outside the normal realms of their business, including (but not limited to) giving me £30 to buy an external aerial to watch terrestrial TV and letting me use my own modem by adding it's MAC address.

I don't know how it was added or what systems were used as I have never been an employee and as such am not privy to such information.

Looking forward to your apology.

BarFly
27-02-2008, 16:40
No apology, as ive given you an option to provide everdence.

oh & if were asking for random apologies, wheres mine for your response to my first comment, where you've tried to mis quote what ive said...

Joxer
27-02-2008, 16:42
So that's where all the missing modems went - a lot of replacement modems where ordered but not delivered at the end of last year. And contrary to what is posted above VM won't register a modem that VM didn't supply.

dev
27-02-2008, 16:43
Youve probably spoofed the mac address on that Cisco modem, as the network only allows specific mac ranges to connect, unless you want to provide the first 5 octates of the mac address ( not all of it ) & il go away & learn something new today about the mac ranges allowed to connect to the network.

he said he used (past tense) when ntl: let him use his own equipment. so i'm inclined to believe he bought it from some place (legally of course) and phoned ntl: got the mac registered and was online, now he no-longer uses it

Stuart W
27-02-2008, 16:45
Why on earth would I need to justify myself any further to your accusations??

You are indeed a shining example of all that is VM.

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:44 ----------

he said he used (past tense) when ntl: let him use his own equipment. so i'm inclined to believe he bought it from some place (legally of course) and phoned ntl: got the mac registered and was online, now he no-longer uses it

10/10 ;)

That is EXACTLY how it happened.

Joxer
27-02-2008, 16:47
Ok maybe I should say "VM won't normally register a modem they didn't supply".

Stuart W
27-02-2008, 16:47
Maybe you should say "sorry" and read my posts properly.

At no point did I say VM connected anything to anything.

Joxer
27-02-2008, 17:02
Maybe you should say "sorry" and read my posts properly.

At no point did I say VM connected anything to anything.

I'm not sure what I should be apologising for I started writing the first post before you posted but was distracted and so it took me a while, when I posted and noticed your post above I added an amendment to acknowledge the point you where making.

I wasn't replying to your post, I was merely stating current policy as I understand it for the benefit of readers of this thread.

piggy
27-02-2008, 17:04
if it helps........SORRY

Stuart W
27-02-2008, 17:07
Sorry Joxer, I thought that reply was from BarFly.

There is nothing for you to apologise for ;)

---------- Post added at 17:07 ---------- Previous post was at 17:06 ----------

if it helps........SORRY
Thanx, but it ideally needs to come from BarFly.

BarFly
27-02-2008, 17:09
Dont get your hopes up too high...
& il carry on waiting for my apology over mis quoting me...

Joxer
27-02-2008, 17:12
Stuart W, OK fair enough then.

Stuart W
27-02-2008, 17:18
Dont get your hopes up too high...
& il carry on waiting for my apology over mis quoting me...

Hopes are non existent. I am familiar with people like you.

Not sure where I miss quoted you, I use the "quote" button, so any mistakes would be vBulletin's area of apology.

Just to confirm, you seem to think it's perfectly acceptable to accuse people of illegal activities and see no need for apology when the mistakes are pointed out to you.

To take a leaf out of your book....

You probably abused the DPA when searching through VM's records trying to prove me wrong.

Stuart
27-02-2008, 18:17

I suggest you look up the history of NTL. They used to allow people to buy their own modems, and offer a reduced monthly cost if you did this.. Admittedly they have stopped that now, but as Stuart has already said, he did (past tense) use his own modem.

---------- Post added at 18:17 ---------- Previous post was at 18:08 ----------

Theres quite a bit wrong with buying those modems, there are very few modems out there that dont belong or remain the property of VM.

Fairly certain Ambit and Motorola have a few..

There is nothing wrong with buying a non-VM, non-Telewest and non-NTL branded cable modem in this country (assuming you can find someone to sell it to you). It's attaching it to the VM cable network that's the problem. This is against Virgin's terms and conditions of service.

Admittedly, you won't currently be able to use said modem unless you either move to another country, live in one of the few areas where a cable company not owned by VM operates (although they may have their own rules) or build your own network, but it is legal to buy said modem.

BarFly
27-02-2008, 19:44
I suggest you look up the history of NTL. They used to allow people to buy their own modems, and offer a reduced monthly cost if you did this.. Admittedly they have stopped that now, but as Stuart has already said, he did (past tense) use his own modem.

if you look at previous posts i say they used to allow Cisco & surfboards & terayons onto the network ( these could have been bought by the end user ), i also point out that the modem linked is in fact a Docsis 2.0 compatible modem, so would have been released after the practice of users buying there modems was stopped. ( yes i know there still allowed to connect )

Fairly certain Ambit and Motorola have a few..

There is nothing wrong with buying a non-VM, non-Telewest and non-NTL branded cable modem in this country (assuming you can find someone to sell it to you). It's attaching it to the VM cable network that's the problem. This is against Virgin's terms and conditions of service.

Admittedly, you won't currently be able to use said modem unless you either move to another country, live in one of the few areas where a cable company not owned by VM operates (although they may have their own rules) or build your own network, but it is legal to buy said modem.

fairly certain i covered this off in one post earlier aswell, my reference was to those modems, linked to ebay link provided in the first response, where i even point out the motorola surfboard modem could potentially only be the legitimate modem for sale.. i also made some reference to free trade, in being allowed to buy modems..

jaycee
29-02-2008, 16:07
In NTL's early years the modems sold to customers were the 3Com CMX, 3Com "Tailfin", Terayon TeraJet and Motorola Surfboard 4100 (in that order, I think!). These modems were sold to customers as their own, and therefore are customer property - if they want to resell them they can, although there isnt much point in doing so, as Virgin will refuse to register them on their systems now.

The SciAtl Webstar modems, SB3100's, some 4100's (hard to tell, they weren't branded) and all of the Ambit modems were leased to customers - and are the property of Telewest/NTL/Virgin Media. I've recently told my local Freecycle group to prevent people trading these modems on Freecycle as they are Virgin's property.

Business broadband is another matter altogether - I belive that while NTL:Telewest do supply equipment, it is possible to use your own, but obviously you're paying for a different service altogether there.

As for Stuart W's situation, in the early days of NTL's cable broadband, anything was possible if you were friendly enough with the engineer, so I belive him fully :)