PDA

View Full Version : 4MB upgrade: Anyone had a new modem fitted yet?

kryogenik
24-02-2008, 23:16
I'm just trying to work out what's going to happen. At first I thought there'd be a splitter fitted to the white box, now I'm told there will be a *new* white box fitted and the modem will be wired into that. Also believed the BB account will be separate from the TV and phone, now told it will stay the same.
Read somewhere on here that VM were sending a modem out for a customer to fit, yet I apparently need an engineer.

Has anyone gone from STB to cable modem in preparation for the upgrade who can fill in the blanks?

Thanks.

MovedGoalPosts
25-02-2008, 00:52
Different setups may require different solutions.

In most cases an engineer visit will be preferred. The signal levels can change when tow devices (modem and STB) are connected instead of just the STB. That should be checked. A self install may be possible, but an engineer should check those signal levels.

If your modem is to be sited next to the STB a simple splitter is all you should need to the existing STB cable feed. If you want the modem elsewhere then a new cable may be required to be run from the external termination point and this would then need a white box with an isolator into which the new modem cable would connect.

Whilst the new modem would operate under your current customer account number, some ex-ntl customer areas have broadband billing separate to the TV and phone billing. VM keep saying accounts will be merged back to one bill but that's if they ever get their computer systems sorted.

As the modem works on a separate broadband provisioning system, you do have to setup a new user name / email name on first registering the router, but this can then be merged by broadband tech support with your old STB broadband emails so you can still access everything.

kryogenik
25-02-2008, 01:23
Thanks for the detailed reply Rob. Makes sense about the signal levels.

I'm going to want the CM either by the STB or just a few feet away in the other alcove - hopefully a splitter (can only think of Life Of Brian when I type that) will do - I need as little upheaval as possible.
I'm in an ex-NTL area but all my services are on one bill. CS didn't mention anything so hopefully that will remain as it is.

I'm not too concerned about the email/new account issue as long as I can access my account's primary email address.

Ta again.

dunno
25-02-2008, 11:53
had my modem sent through which i installed myself using a splitter very easy to setup and am now just waiting for the speed upgrade.

oh and i now have to pay my broadband by direct debit seperate from my tv service

kryogenik
25-02-2008, 12:11
Did you have a cable modem previously or STB?

Dire
25-02-2008, 15:22
I followed the links on their site http://allyours.virginmedia.com/cgi-bin/formactions/uplift_customer.pl
(http://allyours.virginmedia.com/cgi-bin/formactions/uplift_customer.pl)
for upgrade from Samsung STB which said that it would be a free engineer fit. When I phoned up they insisted that it would cost £30 for engineer fit irrespective of what their site advertised. I opted for them to post the modem out.

As the modem works on a separate broadband provisioning system, you do have to setup a new user name / email name on first registering the router, but this can then be merged by broadband tech support with your old STB broadband emails so you can still access everything.Retaining your old email address in the process?

kryogenik
25-02-2008, 15:48
I followed the links on their site http://allyours.virginmedia.com/cgi-bin/formactions/uplift_customer.pl
(http://allyours.virginmedia.com/cgi-bin/formactions/uplift_customer.pl)
for upgrade from Samsung STB which said that it would be a free engineer fit. When I phoned up they insisted that it would cost £30 for engineer fit irrespective of what their site advertised. I opted for them to post the modem out.

Oh, what???
:mad:

---------- Post added at 15:48 ---------- Previous post was at 15:32 ----------

Well, just spoke to CS and they insist it's a free install.

73arm3
25-02-2008, 19:27
Good luck with the changeover, I had to make around 20 phone calls, going around in circles back and forth with people saying "nothing we can do" "its not our department" etc etc, because when I first put the modem in, it would NOT accept my name and I kept on getting someone elses information.

The screen kept saying carry on registering regardless,and so did tech support, so I did, and was given a 2mb account, even though I have been on 4mb since 4mb was introduced.

Also, they will send you a new pin number, mine arrived 3 hours after my modem lol.

It was an extremely frustrating 2 days getting it all up and running, and the irony of it all...on the 3rd day, I got a letter saying "now that the engineer has installed your new modem" blah blah blah.

kryogenik
25-02-2008, 19:37
Great. Had a few different depts saying different things today. I need an engineer, I don't need an engineer. I need another account for BB/don't need another account.

I'm absolutely dreading this.

MikeBrighton
25-02-2008, 20:14
Hi,
I have got a new cable modem to get ready for my 4Mb to 10Mb upgrade. Does anyone know how I get hold of my PIN number and password without phoning an 0900 number that is ? The info I have in my original NTL letter, PID etc doesn't work
regards
Mike

BenMcr
25-02-2008, 21:53
I'm in an ex-NTL area but all my services are on one bill. CS didn't mention anything so hopefully that will remain as it is.

I'm not too concerned about the email/new account issue as long as I can access my account's primary email address.

Ta again.

It will be split into two bills unfortunately till May/June. Modem accounts in ex-ntl STB Broadband areas are billed seperately.

Hi,
I have got a new cable modem to get ready for my 4Mb to 10Mb upgrade. Does anyone know how I get hold of my PIN number and password without phoning an 0900 number that is ? The info I have in my original NTL letter, PID etc doesn't work
regards
Mike

Phone Customer Care. They have access

73arm3
25-02-2008, 22:02
They sent my PIN number for installing the new modem in a seperate letter and it arrives differently than the modem (modem by courier, letter by royal mail post)

MikeBrighton
25-02-2008, 22:21
Two guys came round and fitted my modem but I didnt get a PIN. Once I phone customer care and get a PIN can I ask them to merge my current email address and account with my new one ? thanks for the help and advice

MovedGoalPosts
25-02-2008, 22:24
Tech support will be able to merge the new modem account emails with the old Set Top Box email accounts.

kryogenik
25-02-2008, 22:53
Quick Q for Ben.

Can I *easily* cancel my tech visit and upgrade and wait until everything's calmed down?
I'd happily stay on 4mb until all's settled down - they must have so much work on.
I don't need 10MB in the slightest - very happy with 4MB on the STB.
CS told me the billing WILL be sorted very soon (nice lass, knew all about the VM NG's and Cable Forum - how cool is that? :) ) - I'd LOVE to stay as I am for a while until various bits n' bobs are sorted. 10MB is great, but I'd rather stay on 4 and have 4.. !
I'm sure you know what I mean.

dunno
25-02-2008, 23:09
Did you have a cable modem previously or STB?

i had a stb previously

kryogenik
25-02-2008, 23:14
i had a stb previously

Why have I got a chuffing engineer coming out then?

Oh, I dunno.
At this stage I'm giving in and provisioning for a couple of days outage.
So many conflicting reports. The VM 'tech' in the newsgroups actually said 'I don't know' yesterday.

I'm seriously considering cancelling the CM installation, I'm that worried it'll all go to pot.

MikeBrighton
26-02-2008, 00:01
Hi, is Tech Support on an 0900 number or is there a cheaper way of getting through ?

kryogenik
26-02-2008, 00:09
Sorry mate - I haven't a Scooby Doo.

kryogenik
26-02-2008, 08:18
I just rang and cancelled the tech visit. I work from home and can't risk being without the service. I think I'll wait until everything's calmed down a little and the speed reports from the upgrade in my area start to come through!

Kymmy
26-02-2008, 09:08
Even though you cancelled the tech visit the upgrades in your area will still go ahead. It'll probably mean that your old modem will sync in at 4Mb as it can;t cope any higher, OR it could make your existing modem/STB attempt to connect at 10Mb but fall over and disconnect every few minutes.

Kymmy

kryogenik
26-02-2008, 09:18
Even though you cancelled the tech visit the upgrades in your area will still go ahead. It'll probably mean that your old modem will sync in at 4Mb as it can;t cope any higher, OR it could make your existing modem/STB attempt to connect at 10Mb but fall over and disconnect every few minutes.

Kymmy

The upgrades will go ahead, yes. Last tech that came here said the Samsung 2100C will happily give around 6mb all day long and for a short while when I was on XL, it did, so no immediate worries here.
I'm not shying away from the upgrade, just no longer rushing into it.

Graham M
26-02-2008, 09:57
I had an engineer last week to change the STB Internet over to the Modem and they said they would be charging £30 but would then credit the bill back with £30

webcrawler2050
26-02-2008, 12:11
Just got my modem fitted the Ambit 256 - Seems the same but without USB

daz300
26-02-2008, 17:57
we i use my STB and have been tolled i will not to get modem as it will be ok , this is a mess now , i can not think what it will be like when the upgrade comes online ...

daz300

kryogenik
26-02-2008, 18:02
we i use my STB and have been tolled i will not to get modem as it will be ok

Who told you that? :erm:

MikeBrighton
26-02-2008, 19:47
Hi I got my new modem to upgrade to 10Mb as my STB doesnt support 10Mb.
I rang up and got my PIN number, and guess what, it doesn't work.
I can't activate it
Error 204 , unable to activate blah blah. I'ts the right PIn the thing just doesn't work.
I also don't think I will bother with it now too much hassle. Luckily the old STB network connection is still working.

daz300
26-02-2008, 20:38
Who told you that? :erm:

i gave cs a ring and they did , " you will be ok no need to change " .
daz300

kryogenik
26-02-2008, 21:36
i gave cs a ring and they did , " you will be ok no need to change " .
daz300

How odd.

Dire
27-02-2008, 01:12
Just noticed the link I gave earlier is not working from here. Try this one for upgrade details http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/current_service.html

:dunce: