PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Upload Speed

thyethye
24-02-2008, 02:53
Hi, I was wondering what upload speeds I should be getting on the 20 Mb line? If im not mistaken its 768 and before abotu 2 weeks ago ive been getting constant upload speed of 700.

but recently ive been getting very varying upload and downloads spees ie very unstable taking very long to pickup to the maximum speed. Is anyone experiencing this as welll? Im placed at Nottingham.

I need my upload speeds as I play alot of online games so if anyone have a solution to this, i'll be very very greatful. Also, if u guys could get my download speed to be more stable and pick up to max speed fastrer it'll be great!

TehTech
24-02-2008, 03:26
Hi, I was wondering what upload speeds I should be getting on the 20 Mb line? If im not mistaken its 768 and before abotu 2 weeks ago ive been getting constant upload speed of 700.

but recently ive been getting very varying upload and downloads spees ie very unstable taking very long to pickup to the maximum speed. Is anyone experiencing this as welll? Im placed at Nottingham.

I need my upload speeds as I play alot of online games so if anyone have a solution to this, i'll be very very greatful. Also, if u guys could get my download speed to be more stable and pick up to max speed fastrer it'll be great!

This forum has NOTHING to do at all with Virgin Media, so if you are having problems, I suggest you call Technical Support, and if the fault is their end, they will refund the cost of the call too! :)

thyethye
24-02-2008, 04:46
i do not get what u mean when u say it has nothing to do with virgin media when the forum topic does state Virgin Media Services > Internet Services. LOL

deakin
24-02-2008, 04:54
This forum has NOTHING to do at all with Virgin Media, so if you are having problems, I suggest you call Technical Support, and if the fault is their end, they will refund the cost of the call too! :)

While you are right,this forum in not associated with virgin medea.
It is however a forum for virgin media customers looking for some help and advice. I would have thought this sentance would have given you a clue to what this section of the forum is for

"For all things specific to Virgin Media Broadband & Dialup Internet Access."

Now reguarding the Op's upload question, yes the upload for 20Mb is set at 768Kbps. but sometime(or at least in my case) this takes a second or two to increase all the way up to the full ammount.
If you goto http://192.168.100.1 < user/pass is ROOT and post your signal levels here then i'm sure some kind person might be able to help you.

TehTech
24-02-2008, 11:03
=Also, if u guys could get my download speed to be more stable and pick up to max speed fastrer it'll be great!

ALL I meant by this is WE (the Cable forum members) CANNOT "get your download speed to be more stable" as we cannot access your account, thats all I meant!!

Gees, some people are so damn quick to jump & point the finger, Im getting sick & fed up with all the bitchy comments after posts I make, fine then, if everyone is gonna be like that, FINE I wont flipping well post here anymoree, I will go to forums that actually APPRECIATE my input WITHOUT all the backstabbing & bitchy comments.....

AbyssUnderground
24-02-2008, 11:16
ALL I meant by this is WE (the Cable forum members) CANNOT "get your download speed to be more stable" as we cannot access your account, thats all I meant!!

Gees, some people are so damn quick to jump & point the finger, Im getting sick & fed up with all the bitchy comments after posts I make, fine then, if everyone is gonna be like that, FINE I wont flipping well post here anymoree, I will go to forums that actually APPRECIATE my input WITHOUT all the backstabbing & bitchy comments.....

Jeez, who rattled your cage? :erm: You weren't exactly specific with what you said...

As deakin suggested, check the signal levels are within tolerance. If they're not it can cause instability in the speed. You could also check your computer doesn't have spyware that could possibly be utilising this upload bandwidth. Although unlikely, it is possible. Give AVG Free a try and also SpyBot Seach and Destroy. I always find these good candidates for getting rid of spyware.

thyethye
24-02-2008, 14:28
Hey guys, thanks for your input. really getting sick of the upload speed. mine doesnt even reach 700 even if i wait now. and to tehtech sorry if i said the wrong thing and took u wrongly. :)

well see if anyone can help me with this info
ownstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 4
Downstream Frequency : 403000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 4.0 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 40.3 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 3
Upstream Frequency : 25800000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 49.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

AbyssUnderground
24-02-2008, 15:29
Your levels look fine. Maybe its a modem problem or as I said above, spyware? Do you have an open wireless connection? Someone could be piggybacking it.

thyethye
24-02-2008, 19:26
erm, no i've checked my router and no one else is connected to it besides myself. how do i check if its my modem's fault? and if its spywares, would it actually affect it by such a huge amount?

moaningmags
24-02-2008, 19:58
Best thing to do would be to connect the modem direct to the
computer and test for a while.

Click on Start > Run > type cmd press ok
Opens a black window.
In here type netstat -a
look for established TCP connections
If you get some and you don't know what they are
type netstat -b
this will tell you what is currently established
Then you'll know if it's a legitimate program or not.

HTH

thyethye
24-02-2008, 20:27
erm dont get it, what legitimate program are u talking about?

moaningmags
24-02-2008, 20:39
You see an established connection
netstat -b tells you it's your firewall or anti-virus
that's fine, it's legitimate.
But if it tells you the name of a program that you
don't know, google it to find out if it is spyware.