PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet cable problem

jollymaria
23-02-2008, 21:02
Hi All,

I have a problem with my Vrigin cable modem. I have a PC and a laptop which have b een connected through a Belkin wireless router in a network and share the internet conneciton. A couple of weeks ago my internet just stopped working. Now I need to restart my PC and the modem every 30 mins to get a connection for 30 min. It is seriously annoying since I need the Internet to do work. I also noticed that the ethernet cable connecting the cable modem with the router is loose where it connects to the router. I simply do not what to do and unfortunately Vrigin do not provide the best support either. Please help if anybody has experienced the same.

Thanks

MovedGoalPosts
23-02-2008, 21:23
If the ethernet cable has been removed and refitted from a port on numerous occassions when you've bee swapping computers around, there is a possibility the port on the modem has become damaged.

If the modem is cutting out (the sync and ready lights would normally go out or start blinking), or the ethernet connection has failed you need to call broadband faults. Once they've worked through their diagnostic scripts, they should agree to send an engineer to investigate either the poor signal strength or replace the modem as necesary.

Welshchris
23-02-2008, 21:31
have a look on the Virgin media help section, there has been a problem with belkin wireless routers posted on there with a fix u can download, see if it helps.

jollymaria
23-02-2008, 21:50
Thanks guys. I'll try these two suggestions and see what happens

jaycee
23-02-2008, 23:53
Has the little plastic clip on the ethernet cable snapped off ? They can snap off pretty easy if you repeatedly disconnect them.

Not to worry - you can get replacement ethernet cables from pretty much anywhere, including PC World or Maplin.