PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade from 2MB to 4MB

sta0612
20-02-2008, 23:33
I recently upgraded from Virgin's 2MB Broadband to it's 4MB service but since upgrading I've seen no speed increases. Before I was on a steady speed of 2MB, never falling below 1.8 and rarely below 1.9. Now, however, instead of increasing my speed seems to have decreased, often settling at around 1MB. At first I thought they might have just not made the change but the sudden decrease in speed has bemused me. :(

Could someone possibly shed some light on this situation?

Mick Fisher
21-02-2008, 02:01
Try browsing to
http://root:root@192.168.100.1
click on login then Operation config.

Check the up and down data rates to make sure you have actually been upgraded.

sta0612
21-02-2008, 08:29
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 2048000 bps
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 200000 bps

I'm guessing this means I haven't been upgraded? In which case what's the best number to ring to get this sorted out quickly while avoiding Indian call centres if possible?

DocDutch
21-02-2008, 09:45
sta, when did you phone them to change the package?

cuz sometimes it can take 24hrs. also another something to try is give your modem a reboot.

Cammy
21-02-2008, 09:54
Keep phoning. I had the same problem, they just hadn't added it to my account properly and activated it.

Took me 4-5 days and 3 phone calls to get them to upgrade my speed.

sta0612
21-02-2008, 17:54
sta, when did you phone them to change the package?

cuz sometimes it can take 24hrs. also another something to try is give your modem a reboot.

I changed the package Tuesday morning and asked him then when the change should come into effect and he said then that he'd already done it and it should be immediate. I naively didn't think to do a speed check while still on the phone to him then though as I was more concerned about getting off the phone after 40 minutes to an 0845 number lol.

Thanks for the tip but I've tried rebooting my modem numerous times, once leaving it unplugged for over half an hour.

I'll try giving them a call now to see what they say but I'll no doubt get through to an Indian call centre where as soon as I mention the word 'upgrade' they'll try upgrading something else.

Does anyone know a more useful number where I can get good (free) advice? Thanks in advance.

Mick Fisher
21-02-2008, 18:05
I changed the package Tuesday morning and asked him then when the change should come into effect and he said then that he'd already done it and it should be immediate. I naively didn't think to do a speed check while still on the phone to him then though as I was more concerned about getting off the phone after 40 minutes to an 0845 number lol.

Thanks for the tip but I've tried rebooting my modem numerous times, once leaving it unplugged for over half an hour.

I'll try giving them a call now to see what they say but I'll no doubt get through to an Indian call centre where as soon as I mention the word 'upgrade' they'll try upgrading something else.

Does anyone know a more useful number where I can get good (free) advice? Thanks in advance.
Try the posting to the newsgroup
virginmedia.support.broadband.cable

sta0612
21-02-2008, 18:30
Try the posting to the newsgroup
virginmedia.support.broadband.cable

Thanks for the advice but the issues been resolved now. I rang up the Broadband Helpline and they sorted out then said that they'd credit the call charge. Thanks to everyone else who helped aswell.

Mick Fisher
21-02-2008, 18:32
Glad to hear you got it sorted. :tu:

TehTech
22-02-2008, 09:04
I naively didn't think to do a speed check while still on the phone to him then though as I was more concerned about getting off the phone after 40 minutes to an 0845 number lol.

Man are you not with this world??

TS is NOT an 0845 number (this is a LOCAL rate number) whereas VM's TS is a PREMIUM 09062 number and they WILL NOT leave you on the phone for 40 mins, if it approches 20mins, then they inform you of this, and then call you back.

So I sugest you STOP exagerating and JUST put the facts...

sta0612
23-02-2008, 10:15
Man are you not with this world??

TS is NOT an 0845 number (this is a LOCAL rate number) whereas VM's TS is a PREMIUM 09062 number and they WILL NOT leave you on the phone for 40 mins, if it approches 20mins, then they inform you of this, and then call you back.

So I sugest you STOP exagerating and JUST put the facts...

Well I was quoted a number when I was put through which definately began with 0845, and I think I can tell the time, I was on the phone for 40 minutes. Part of it was through my own fault as I couldn't find some of the details he was asking me for but that doesn't change the fact that I was on the phone for 40 minutes to (what I was told) was an 0845 number. If you're really that bothered I'll scan the bill in for you when it comes. Either way, I don't understand why you have to be so bitchy. If I knew there were gonna be people like you on this forum I probably would never have joined.