PDA

View Full Version : Modem replacement/Uk phone numbers

Pikem4n
19-02-2008, 19:04
Hi folks

I subscribe to the 20Meg broadband service, and my modem which i have since the ntl days (2002) is now playing up, the ethernet socket has stopped working, i've checked the leads they are ok, the ethernet sockets on my pc and laptop are ok, and my linksys router when connected to both laptop and pc via some ethernet cables is fine too.

The modem works fine using a usb connection, but the ethernet connection has ceased to work.

So at the moment i am using the usb cable, getting sub standard speeds, less than 4Meg and earlier today i phoned broadband technical support number and got put through to a call center in india to see if i can get it swapped over as i know its the ethernet socket at fault on the modem, they started asking me questions to do this and do that and also asked me how do i know if it is faulty,implying it's must be something i am doing, tbh they were as much use as a chocolate firegaurd and really ****ed me off.

Anyway :D i have 2 questions for you,Q1- is there a techincal support number where i can get put through to someone in the uk ? And Q2 - If i bought a virgin broadband modem off say for instance, will it work ok???

Hope someone can help me

BenMcr
19-02-2008, 19:39
Q1) the TSC number does have agents in the UK, just all depends no who you get through to.

Q2) Only Virgin can supply you with kit.

Pikem4n
19-02-2008, 20:23
Thanks for that ben, i thought if i bought a modem off ebay it might violate my T&C with virgin and i dont really want to do anything iffy with them or their hardware :)

I am not racist or owt , but i prefer to speak a british voice on the other end of the phone but everytime i seem to contact them i get out through to a indian worker at the virgin center and it is quite hard to stress your point across to them.

Anyway i've tried phoning again just to see oif i can get put through to a brit and everytime i try to ring a virgin number from my vodafone mobile, it say's network busy and i am getting charged a bit phoning a 09062 number from my pay as you go number (80 pence a minute no less!), so i have just sent a email to see what response i get.

MovedGoalPosts
19-02-2008, 20:26
modem's being sold from anywhere other than VM are frequently not the property of the sellers' to sell so you could technically be had for handling stolen goods. In any case they won't normally work on your connection.

You need to persist with the tech support line. Be clear and concise. They are working their way through a script and there is little way round that.

Joxer
19-02-2008, 21:29
Or you could try the newsgroups, a succinct description af the problem and any testing done should get one sent out.

Gibby Haynes
19-02-2008, 22:56
I have the same problem but I know how to fix it.

I have longed considered asking for a replacement for my old grey ntl 100 modem but you've confirmed what I dread about the circle of pain I'd have to go through to get it.

So here's what I do.

As the song says: wiggle-it, just a little bit...

If you unplug the Ethernet lead and plug it back in (usually several times) and wiggle it around until you start to see flashing green lights you'll get your connection back.

I read somewhere that this was a known fault on these modems but I've not been able to find it since so I might have dreamed it.:)

Hope it works for you. Works for me.

BenMcr
19-02-2008, 23:36
yeah it is fairly common, which is why I'm surprised it isn't easier to get them replaced

boroboi
19-02-2008, 23:44
Yeah i started getting this problem a couple of months back on my 250, applying pressure between the ethernet port sometimes makes it work again, but i try not to move it coz the slightest nudge just makes it stop working again.

The amount of times ive punched it out of frustration is countless. Im going to ask for a new one through TS, if they refuse, well, god help them.