PDA

View Full Version : Nforce network controller card...

Sinth
18-02-2008, 18:17
Hi folks,
Does anybody have or have had one of these on their motherboard?
I think I have hit my speed problems on the head.
With my lappy via wifi I can download a file @ 1.5mps and have a speedtest of around 12meg.
My recently built pc has an onboard lan controller and even directly connected (not by router) I can only download at about 800kbs and speedtests are rubbish when run side by side with my lappy. I have tweaked my pc to the hilt to no avail. My old system was fine but speeds recently have been poor on my lappy as well so never thought anything of it.
I ordered a dedicated card today to see if that will help.

Mobo is an Asrock am2nf3-vsta, amd 64 6000 cpu etc and win xp pro sp2.
Just wondered if any of you have had problems with this controller.
Stu

nffc
18-02-2008, 18:45
I used to have that board (and it was s***) but never tried the wired networking.

Have you tried the latest nforce drivers from n*idia website? Is the N*idia firewall on or off?

Sinth
18-02-2008, 19:41
The latest drivers seem to be from 05 which I got on my mobo cd.
The firewall isn`t installed i.e no net manager as I can see.
The board itself has been spot on just not the onboard lan by the looks of it.

AmAtoL
18-02-2008, 19:42
I'm not being funny but that looks like the worst motherboard you could possibly have for a new AM2 build, it's even an AGP graphics card. Which may be ok for your needs, who knows, but nForce3 ? come on.....
Sorry to sound harsh but you need a better mobo to get any benefit from that CPU, one with PCI Express at least. Looking at the specs the lan is Realtek I think.

bonzoe
18-02-2008, 19:53
I've got nvidia on another motherboard, drivers from 2002, no problems at all. Perhaps it's not autonegotiating correctly, you could try forcing 100M? Optimise for throughput? Or reject Motherboard as faulty.

Good luck

Sinth
18-02-2008, 20:21
I'm not being funny but that looks like the worst motherboard you could possibly have for a new AM2 build, it's even an AGP graphics card. Which may be ok for your needs, who knows, but nForce3 ? come on.....
Sorry to sound harsh but you need a better mobo to get any benefit from that CPU, one with PCI Express at least. Looking at the specs the lan is Realtek I think.

The reason I bought this was soo that I could keep my AGP x1950 pro card. Compared to my old xp3200 barton system it runs very well, UT3 compatibility 5 on the cpu and 4 on the gpu so not that bad.

I think I have found the issue, nforce 3 driver.
http://www.driverheaven.net/motherboards-networking-misc-forum/147870-nforce3-network-problem.html

Bonzoe I have forced the lot lol

nffc
18-02-2008, 20:30
Is there anything in the BIOS about the onboard LAN card?

Sinth
18-02-2008, 21:02
Only the usual on/off m8.
Hopefully my pci card will sort it. Will let you know.

hjf288
18-02-2008, 21:59
Ive got no problems with mine..

AmAtoL
18-02-2008, 22:15
Ok fair enough Sinth, with you now saying you play UT3 perhaps it could've been a plan to ebay the 1950, go with PCIE and get a basic 8800GT.
Sorry, anyway I'm a gamer and really I just want gamers to have the best they can, no offence meant :)

boroboi
19-02-2008, 01:19

To be honest, there wont be much of a noticable difference in the performance on his NF3 board compared to any newer AM2 mobo.

The only short side is he's limited to DDR1 and AGP, which makes upgrading any further impossible, but other than that (as long as he has 2GB or more RAM) he'll be getting as much of a benefit as anyone else with an AM2 6000+ :)

nffc
19-02-2008, 01:30
the AM2NF3 supports DDR2.

Sinth
19-02-2008, 11:44
AmAtol, no offence taken.

Hjf288 hmm, could you post a test if you have 20mb bb please m8?

Ok System is..
AM2nf3-vsta mobo
Amd x2 6000 (am2 boost = 3.11 gig, unknown mem settings but quicker than just overclocking cpu to 3.21g / manual mem tweaking)
Ati X1950 pro 512 AGP @ 621/749
2 gig Geil 4-4-4-12 pc6400 ddr2
2 internal Hdd`s, 1 USB
Enermax Liberty 500W modular psu
Samsung 19"
Logitech g15 keyboard, razer copperhead / logi 518 mice.
XP pro sp2

Lappy -Asus G1s

Welshchris
19-02-2008, 16:10
Virgin Once told me that my Nforce Ethernet Ports on my ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe were incompatible with the Ambit 255 Modems cos they were Gigabit ports lol

boomerangsback
19-02-2008, 20:24
Try setting your duplex speeds to auto negotiate. Had mine set to Full. Changed it auto and all is fine . Worth a try

Sinth
19-02-2008, 21:34
Thanks for the replies.
Seperate card in and alls well :)
Dumb pc`s.

nffc
20-02-2008, 01:02
Dumb nforce, more likely. I dumped that board because I couldnt get dual core + Vista + AGP (Even Nvidia) working, dual core + Vista + ATI AGP doesn't even load the drivers. Basically the graphics crashed every so often. Moving to single core solved it as did installing the XP AGP drivers (but that caused other problems with overlay and directx) but the main issue was nvidia not releasing a completely vista compliant AGP driver and refusing to admit the platform worked, even though Asrock say it does and MS certified the board compatible.

In the end I just bought a new board with PCI Express.

boroboi
20-02-2008, 01:29
Virgin Once told me that my Nforce Ethernet Ports on my ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe were incompatible with the Ambit 255 Modems cos they were Gigabit ports lol

:rolleyes:

I swear, they must have rather lousy screening. I dont know how they can have such blatant ****ing numpty's giving out information like that.:spin:

Sinth
20-02-2008, 11:36
Dumb nforce, more likely. I dumped that board because I couldnt get dual core + Vista + AGP (Even Nvidia) working, dual core + Vista + ATI AGP doesn't even load the drivers. Basically the graphics crashed every so often. Moving to single core solved it as did installing the XP AGP drivers (but that caused other problems with overlay and directx) but the main issue was nvidia not releasing a completely vista compliant AGP driver and refusing to admit the platform worked, even though Asrock say it does and MS certified the board compatible.

In the end I just bought a new board with PCI Express.

What annoyed me a bit is that I bought all my bits and bobs from overclockers (went by reviews). Looked yesterday and they don`t have that mobo anymore! Funny that. Poor driver support from Nvidia/Asrock imvho. I knew about the vista probs but that is my main pc for music and gaming which I just wanted XP on, have vista on my lappy.
Mind you I actually like the board on the whole, touch wood the only prob soo far which now is fine.