PDA

View Full Version : What region am I in?

sheppy99
18-02-2008, 15:34
Can anyone tell me what region I am in? A tracert to my external address shows its name includes "cpc4-warw7" and "brhm.cable.ntl.com"
Does this mean I'm fed from Birmingham via Warwick?
Looking at virginmedia.com/evenfaster it doesn't mention birmingham or warwick SO does anyone have any idea what area I come under for speed increase purposes?
Cheers
Kevin

NotaVMFan
18-02-2008, 15:41
Oh yes it does ;)

Birmingham (Perry Barr) TBC

sheppy99
18-02-2008, 15:52
Oh yes it does ;)

Ah OK, so no point in power cycling the modem for a while then... Curious how they mail shotted me at the weekend if its ages away.
Still the current 4Meg service works at its max rate most of the time anyway so it's not exactly slow at the moment ;)
Thanks for the reply :D

BBKing
18-02-2008, 16:27

Sure? Warwick is an ex-ntl area, fed through the ex-ntl Birmingham networking, nothing to do with Perry Barr. Warwick and Coventry are actually their own regions IIRC, but for broadband they both come under ex-ntl Birmingham. Confusing? Yes.

sheppy99
18-02-2008, 16:31
And I'm sure I was once fed from Oxford...
Maybe I'll just put the cable modem plug on a time swith with a minute break in the early hours of every morning!!!
Sure? Warwick is an ex-ntl area, fed through the ex-ntl Birmingham networking, nothing to do with Perry Barr. Warwick and Coventry are actually their own regions IIRC, but for broadband they both come under ex-ntl Birmingham. Confusing? Yes.

NotaVMFan
18-02-2008, 16:43

Op said Birmingham, Warrington wasn`t listed, I feel I answered the Op`s question to the best of my ability (i.e. The listing on the Rollout Plan)..

As a Southerner I haven`t a clue on Midlands/Northern territory ;)

---------- Post added at 16:43 ---------- Previous post was at 16:41 ----------

And I'm sure I was once fed from Oxford...
Maybe I'll just put the cable modem plug on a time swith with a minute break in the early hours of every morning!!!

Probably a good idea, When I was on VM waiting on the 20mb upgrades I also did a "once a day" reboot to find the service did eventually kick in..