PDA

View Full Version : Help..I've just been downgraded, apparently

homerhassall
17-02-2008, 09:09
I would start by saying I'm a very long standing customer of NTL/VM (10 years +) and have never had a real problem with them before but this has really annoyed me.

Been on the following package since signing up for 12 month contact (with loyalty discounts) last Sept:

XL TV + Talk Unlimited phone + XL 10Mb BB (or so I thought!!)

Have been quite happily receiving all services. I actually checked online about 3 months ago online about a BB upgrade to 20MB but was told I was already on the top XL package and I have been quite happy with speeds on average between 7-10MB and up to 12Mb on occasions.

Online this morning and speeds seemed a little slow so I ran a couple of dowloads tests which showed a 2Mb speed so I just happened to log on at VM website and check my account status only to find that I now seem to be a M customer on 2Mb!?!?

Immediately got on the phone to 2 call centre operatives whose command of english was less than brilliant. No 1 tells me I should be on 2Mb service. If I have been receiving 10Mb for the last 12 months was a mistake on their part and if I want to upgrade it will be £37pm instead of the £18 pm I've been happily paying since last September. No 2 tells me its a 'technical' problem and I will be back on 10Mb by the end of the week, or possibly the month and couldn't seem to make his mind up on that one! Either way I have no faith in the way my query was deal with or the answers I got and am furious that my package/BB speed has just been downgraded without my knowledge or any warning.

I certainly never intended to be on the M package from as far back as Nov 06 when I moved from a STB to a cable modem specifically to be able to overcome the speed limit of about 4Mb? when running off a STB.

Help............... who do I go to to have a sensible discussion (preferablely in the queens english) and get to the bottom of this.

oliver1948uk
17-02-2008, 09:40
Firstly, assuming you are on cable, there is no 10Mb BB. It is 2Mb, 4Mb (soon to be upgraded to 10Mb) and 20Mb.
Secondly, in my experience and in your situation I would do the following:
I would have written in front of me the facts and what is offered on VM website so I do not get confused. I would try 150 customer services once more. If you get nowhere, try again using the option you are considering leaving. Provided you have a sound case and that you remain calm, polite and stick to the facts, I bet they will sort it out to your satisfaction in a matter of minutes.
It has worked for me several times.

homerhassall
17-02-2008, 09:50
Firstly, assuming you are on cable, there is no 10Mb BB. It is 2Mb, 4Mb (soon to be upgraded to 10Mb) and 20Mb.
Secondly, in my experience and in your situation I would do the following:
I would have written in front of me the facts and what is offered on VM website so I do not get confused. I would try 150 customer services once more. If you get nowhere, try again using the option you are considering leaving. Provided you have a sound case and that you remain calm, polite and stick to the facts, I bet they will sort it out to your satisfaction in a matter of minutes.
It has worked for me several times.

Thanks for that. I understood the BB packages were (Last september) 2, 4, & 10 MB and that 4 is now 10 and 10 is now 20??. I certainly have been getting speeds of around 10Mb and was expecting at some point this would go up to 20Mb. As I said what I really want is a meaningful discussion with someone who has a good grasp of english and who is able to come 'off script'. I know going to retentions often gets action but my problem is I really don't want to go down the SKY/BT route as I'm not setup up for either and having had many years of good service from NTL/VM I am reluctant to go down that route and all the associated costs/time/trouble

ceedee
17-02-2008, 10:20
To check the speed you should be connected at, I'd recommend you raise the matter with VM's Tech Support via the support newsgroup, virginmedia.support.broadband.cable.

As for meaningful 'off script' discussions with a trained communicator who's experienced at problem solving, well I'm afraid "the line is busy"...
;-*

Good luck!

oliver1948uk
17-02-2008, 10:28
When you go to retentions, you do not have to demand to leave. You can calmly explain you do not want to leave, tell them the unsuccessful steps you have taken with normal customer services, tell them what you are hoping for, emphasise you are a generally happy customer of long standing, and ask them if they are able to help. If your case is sound, in my experience they will sort it within minutes.

NEVER fall for being told you must ring the 25p per minute line. Ordinary customer services try this every time and I always politely refuse.

Hugh
17-02-2008, 11:07
What do your last couple of bills for the Broadband say?

Is it M, L, or XL?

homerhassall
17-02-2008, 15:42
What do your last couple of bills for the Broadband say?

Is it M, L, or XL?

Only get paper bills for TV & Phone. Just get an email each month saying they're going to take my £18 on a certain date by DD so I don't appear to have anything in writing as to what I contracted to last september when agreeing to a further 12 months!

Incidently I tried to get hold of retentions today and was told they don't work Sundays???

Stokerockscene
17-02-2008, 16:03
I would start by saying I'm a very long standing customer of NTL/VM (10 years +) and have never had a real problem with them before but this has really annoyed me.

Been on the following package since signing up for 12 month contact (with loyalty discounts) last Sept:

XL TV + Talk Unlimited phone + XL 10Mb BB (or so I thought!!)

Have been quite happily receiving all services. I actually checked online about 3 months ago online about a BB upgrade to 20MB but was told I was already on the top XL package and I have been quite happy with speeds on average between 7-10MB and up to 12Mb on occasions.

Online this morning and speeds seemed a little slow so I ran a couple of dowloads tests which showed a 2Mb speed so I just happened to log on at VM website and check my account status only to find that I now seem to be a M customer on 2Mb!?!?

Immediately got on the phone to 2 call centre operatives whose command of english was less than brilliant. No 1 tells me I should be on 2Mb service. If I have been receiving 10Mb for the last 12 months was a mistake on their part and if I want to upgrade it will be £37pm instead of the £18 pm I've been happily paying since last September. No 2 tells me its a 'technical' problem and I will be back on 10Mb by the end of the week, or possibly the month and couldn't seem to make his mind up on that one! Either way I have no faith in the way my query was deal with or the answers I got and am furious that my package/BB speed has just been downgraded without my knowledge or any warning.

I certainly never intended to be on the M package from as far back as Nov 06 when I moved from a STB to a cable modem specifically to be able to overcome the speed limit of about 4Mb? when running off a STB.

Help............... who do I go to to have a sensible discussion (preferablely in the queens english) and get to the bottom of this.

I was downgraded from 20MB to 4MB without being told, god knows how many months i'd been on 4mb...i couldnt tell as the speeds were around the same as 20mb anyway!

Graham M
17-02-2008, 16:10
Only get paper bills for TV & Phone. Just get an email each month saying they're going to take my £18 on a certain date by DD so I don't appear to have anything in writing as to what I contracted to last september when agreeing to a further 12 months!

Incidently I tried to get hold of retentions today and was told they don't work Sundays???

Well £18 is M BB which is 2meg (currently)

hokkers999
17-02-2008, 22:54
I was downgraded from 20MB to 4MB without being told, god knows how many months i'd been on 4mb...i couldnt tell as the speeds were around the same as 20mb anyway!

:p: